Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vf Commodore front blackout

JulienR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Sv6 MFY17
Hey guys rather than just outright buying black edition VF parts to replace the front lower, upper grilles and side DRL's which is super expensive for parts is there any other way to black out the front chrome?

vywgn

Reaction score
Members Ride
1967 Holden HR Premier Wagon / 2015 VFII SV6 Sedan
Wrap or repaint them

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
You can paint chrome mouldings successfully with a spray can, rub them down with 400, etch prime them and the VF2 blackout colour is Phantom Black, the standard metallic black VF body colour. Finish off with a coat of clear and they'll look factory yet probably a bit less resistant to stone chips painted in acrylic than the OEM 2 pack finish.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
wrap the chrome.
if you have never wrapped anything watch some videos on how to do it then do a few test objects to get the hang of it and then go for it.

i blacked out the chrome on my current vehicle by wrapping it and it still looks great, no fading and fairly resistant to chipping.

Reactions: Lex

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
You can't wrap them as the internal corners will not stick right and pull/unstick unless you cut the internal corners to relieve the pressure , paint them then get them clear wrapped , by the time you've done/payed for this you might aswell buy a black set . you can buy these unpainted ones that won't need wrapping after you have painted them but you will still need to do some thing with the lower grill as unpainted ones aren't available https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/4027824...:AU_eBayAusPost500gFlatRateSatchel!4211!AU!-1

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
the internal corners will not stick right and pull/unstick unless you cut the internal corners to relieve the pressure

if you are wrapping in plain black you just use a heatgun and the wrap will mould to the shape needed.
i could easily wrap the ones pictured in your link but for 139 bucks it would be easier to just buy the ones you linked.

NJD-1992

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF-S2 SV6 Commodore
In the process of painting a lip spoiler phantom black, and also have blacked out the chrome auto shift surround so that I don't get blinded by the darn sun reflection all the time.

I had considered doing a DIY job of wrapping, but in the end went for buying the black out trim as I wanted the matching phantom black as opposed to gloss black (More metallic than straight gloss). Whilst ive enjoyed learning the process of painting the spoiler, don't think id be in a rush to do such a large piece again.

The chrome shifter surround was fun. Couldn't be assessed sanding it, so got myself some hydrogen peroxide and hydrochloric acid and played chemist for a few days. Tried researching all the correct ratios, got to the point of screw it, fill the container with the peroxide, add some acid and leave over night. Came back the next day to nothing but a piece of raw ABS plastic. Dash of light sanding, and painting was then a breeze. Complete overkill, but ehh. More interesting than sanding!

The most annoying thing, is how all the blackout trim has shot up big time in price. I got the Fender vent's for under $100 back at the start of the year, now they are $300! Am considering do a project of figuring out how to separate the chrome piece of the fender vents I have left over, doing the acid strip, then painting them phantom black to go on my old mans SV6

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
if you are wrapping in plain black you just use a heatgun and the wrap will mould to the shape needed.
i could easily wrap the ones pictured in your link but for 139 bucks it would be easier to just buy the ones you linked.
I had 2 different guys do the clear on mine and both cut small v's in the internal corners maybe theres a difference in the clear compared to coloured vinyl ?
In the process of painting a lip spoiler phantom black, and also have blacked out the chrome auto shift surround so that I don't get blinded by the darn sun reflection all the time.

I had considered doing a DIY job of wrapping, but in the end went for buying the black out trim as I wanted the matching phantom black as opposed to gloss black (More metallic than straight gloss). Whilst ive enjoyed learning the process of painting the spoiler, don't think id be in a rush to do such a large piece again.

The chrome shifter surround was fun. Couldn't be assessed sanding it, so got myself some hydrogen peroxide and hydrochloric acid and played chemist for a few days. Tried researching all the correct ratios, got to the point of screw it, fill the container with the peroxide, add some acid and leave over night. Came back the next day to nothing but a piece of raw ABS plastic. Dash of light sanding, and painting was then a breeze. Complete overkill, but ehh. More interesting than sanding!

The most annoying thing, is how all the blackout trim has shot up big time in price. I got the Fender vent's for under $100 back at the start of the year, now they are $300! Am considering do a project of figuring out how to separate the chrome piece of the fender vents I have left over, doing the acid strip, then painting them phantom black to go on my old mans SV6
Heres a couple of guard vents for $150 plus postage if you don't mind second hand VF SSV SS Redline Holden Commodore gloss black guard flutes - Salvage Auto Sales

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
maybe theres a difference in the clear compared to coloured vinyl ?

i would guess that with the clear if you heat it and stretch it too much it will ruin the finish.
i found that out using carbon fiber wrap when i pushed it a little too far it distorted pattern and ruined it.

SammyDee

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 1 SV6
Hey guys rather than just outright buying black edition VF parts to replace the front lower, upper grilles and side DRL's which is super expensive for parts is there any other way to black out the front chrome?
How’d you go? What option did you choose?