Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Commodore HID Kits

Discussion in 'VF Holden Commodore (2013 - 2017)' started by VFSSVUTE, Feb 17, 2014.

1. Voodoo_SV6

Voodoo_SV6 Active Member

Members Ride:
    MY12.5 E3 R8 Manual+MY16 VFII SV6+MY11 VE S2 SV6
    I've got that setup on my VF. HID low and high and a dual colour lightbar behind the lower grill. The Lightbar is not great, but certainly lights up the peripherals well before the high beams warm up. 95% of my 200km round trip to work daily is 80kph - 110kph non suburban, so it's pretty essential when driving at dusk or after most nights.

In the HSV, I have HID low and high and halogen driving lights to get the light up quickly when I need high beams.

Zehq likes this.
  2. Skylarking

Skylarking Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Commodore Motorsport
    Hm, haven't seen any oncoming cars dart into the shrubbery have we :eek:

LED globs should solve the start up delay but not sure whether it will solve the issue of washing out any cues that an oncoming vehilce is about to be blinded o_O

Zehq likes this.
  3. losh1971

losh1971 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    What about Plus 150s?

4. Tonner Matt

Tonner Matt Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
    In the Northern Territory HID high beam globes are legal.
    This info below is copied directly from the NT Government Vehicle Standards Website:
    # HID lamps may be retro-fitted to the vehicle main beam (high beam) circuit without the requirement for self-levelling or lens cleaning devices. However the road rules prohibits against dazzling another road user with bright vehicle lights.

Don't know about the legality of LED's in the Northern Territory as I haven't found any specific info about them.
    I reckon that they would probably be legal in high beams only, just like the HID globes are, but to be 100% sure I would obviously have to contact them and find out

Skylarking and lmoengnr like this.
  5. [paradox]

[paradox] Active Member

Members Ride:
    VF2 SSV-R
    i only ever got like 9 months max out of halogen +150s in my VE

lmoengnr likes this.
  6. TTubrag

TTubrag Active Member

Members Ride:
    2016 VFII SSV Redline
    That’s the downside of LEDs in an aftermarket retro fit low beam application. They don’t comply with the light output and cutoff design parameters of the Halogen bulbs you’re looking to replace. So they don’t perform as well as you’d hope.

In many cases, LEDs perform worse than a good quality aftermarket Halogen, like an Osram Nightbreaker Unlimited.
    Typically a retrofit LED will waste light output, throwing light outside the cutoff and into oncoming drivers eyes, even with a projector lense. And although LEDs can look brighter because they run more white at a higher Kelvin rating, they can output less light (lumens) than a quality aftermarket Halogen.

7. TTubrag

TTubrag Active Member

Members Ride:
    2016 VFII SSV Redline
    Got 5 years out of my last set of Osram Nightbreaker Unlimiteds. Wife kept using them at day time too.
    Got sold with the car. Really should have replaced them after 2.5 years as Halogens can lose lumens (perceived brightness) over time.
    But even after 5 years, when compared to the OEM Halogens in my little Honda runabout, the Osrams were still much brighter.

Have Nightbreaker Unlimiteds in the Holden now. MORE than bright enough for city and country driving.

8. [paradox]

[paradox] Active Member

Members Ride:
    VF2 SSV-R
    not sure if they follow the same +figure as Philips, but they would be +110?
    https://www.powerbulbs.com/uploads/...GHT-BREAKER-UNLIMITED-H7-Twin-New_750_750.jpg
    obviously the higher +figure the lower the life expectency,
    i think i got a couple of years out of +130, but the +150 werent worth the money to replace that often.

9. TTubrag

TTubrag Active Member

Members Ride:
    2016 VFII SSV Redline
    My guess is Osram doesn't follow the same 'plus' standard as Philips. Given it's marketing spin, there probably isn't even a 'plus' standard. But I think you've hit the nail on the head. The brighter and whiter they burn halogen bulbs, the sooner they burn out. Based on my experience, the Nightbreaker Unlimiteds hit that sweetspot of good price, performance with long service life. With the added benefits of not running super hot int he lenses, not blinding oncoming traffic and having UV filtering on the bulbs (if built to EU standards) to protect the plastic reflector lenses from hazing over from the inside out.

Here's a good resource for comparing alternative bulbs against real world performance, rather than just perceived performance.
    http://bulbfacts.com/

[paradox] likes this.
  10. Gmac 2.0

Gmac 2.0 Member

Members Ride:
    SSV-R Manual PBM Ute
    Interestingly Holden fitted HID globes to the Chevy SS export....minus self levelling and washers??

11. woooo

woooo Active Member

Members Ride:
    Multiple
    Yep

12. Smashfist

Smashfist Active Member

Members Ride:
    440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
    Correct as they're not required for the US market.

ADR's make it illegal here.

13. Skylarking

Members Ride:
    Commodore Motorsport
    I've always understood that the Chevy SS headlight assemblies had internal headlight lamp levellers and no washers. So is there any document that is definitive on the subject?

If there are no headlamp levellers, is it then that the headlamp casing is the same between the Chevy SS and the Holden VF's so that ballast, lamp and other bits could be retrofitted to a VF headlamp assembly rather than using those possibly shonky looking aftermarket units with fans, cooling wires, etc?

14. Gmac 2.0

Gmac 2.0 Member

Members Ride:
    SSV-R Manual PBM Ute
    Guys on the SS Forum are buying our headlights so they don't have the ugly orange side reflects of the us cars. It doesn't seam to matter to them that the focus is biased for cars driven on the left side of the road. Anyway my understanding is that the Ballasts etc are external to the housing and incorporated in the loom. If you want a plug and play HID kit for VF low, High or series1 spots, then there's a seller on eBay that offers them. The ballasts are incorporated in the headlight cap and look factory. No external wiring.

15. Skylarking

Members Ride:
    Commodore Motorsport
    Thanks for the heads up @Gmac 2.0

Within the US, vehicle mods seem to be either loosely controlled/enforced or stricltly controlled/enforced depending on the state you're in. However putting LHD headlamps in a RHD vehcile without modding the lamp shield appropriately is just criminally negligent in my view but what can one expect of some rednecks.

Me, I was looking for a legal method to go HID which down under requires lamp leveling and lamp washers.
    Here is a look at the Chevy SS headlight parts which shows HID glode and ballast but not exactly how they connect, nor any lamp leveling bits.
    So i guess it's a bust and i'll stick with the standard halogen candles.

The eBay kits are anything but legal for road use so don't really want to go down that path...
    I want to stay road legal and presever my insurance for piece of mind just in case i cash into four ferrari's like this guy did.

16. HotdogNo1

HotdogNo1 Member

Members Ride:
    VF SSv Redline A6 W375
    I just purchased these
    Holden VF Commodore Canbus H7 6000K HID KIT SV6 SS SSV HSV GEN F Clubsport R8 | eBay

Wondering can the 35w 6000K H7 HID bulbs be changed over to something like a 35w 4300k HID or similar? Maybe like the link below

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/H7-HID-...h=item19cf8ac838:g:YW8AAMXQl6pRY-7J:rk:5:pf:0

17. lmoengnr

lmoengnr Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
  18. HotdogNo1

HotdogNo1 Member

Members Ride:
    VF SSv Redline A6 W375
    Makes sense, I've sent a request to the seller. Change from 6000k Bulbs over to 4300k Hids.
    Thanks Imoengnr
    Magnum #224 nice ute

Last edited: Jan 18, 2019
    lmoengnr likes this.
  19. KING46Calais V

KING46Calais V Active Member

Members Ride:
    2017 VFII Calais V 6.2L Sed
    They changed mine no prob
    Just sent an email asking them
    Really good seller and good after sales support. Had mine in over 12 months now and no a problem. I find the get to full temp quicker now as well.

20. KING46Calais V

KING46Calais V Active Member

Members Ride:
    2017 VFII Calais V 6.2L Sed
    Your right the eBay and all other retrofit kits are illegal. But I went for a reasonable k rating and didn't go stupid bright. I can honestly say that I haven't been flashed once. It's all the a holes with their LEDs that annoy me. In early model cars that direct the light straight into my eyes. It appears there are more and more of them so obviously the cops aren't too fussed about it. If they aren't going to go for the obvious defect, I doubt they will come after me. But as you mention, insurance may be another issue. Hopefully I'm in once piece so I can uninstall before the assessor comes.

Skylarking likes this.