Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Commodore HID Kits

JivRedline

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II Berlina, MY17 VF II SSV Redline
Just last night I installed some 6000K HIDs from this guy for $169 inc Canbus adapter. I have to say how impressed I am with the compact ballasts that fit discreetly inside the headlight waterproof cover. Ive had HIDs in every car ive ever owned and these and perhaps the best for that reason. They werent too bad to install, the passenger side was very easy to do if you remove the air intake. However the drivers side was a right pain and required you to come at it from under the wheel arch, all up it took about 45 minutes. I'd strongly recommend adjusting your headlights down a tad after install, that way you wont upset any oncoming drivers.

What I will say to anyone looking to get HIDs, is go for the 5000K. The 4300K is a nice brilliant white with some a small touch of yellow which undoubtedly gives the best for light output, 5000K is a pure white with the best look and 6000K has a bit too much blue which not only makes if obvious you have HIDs but also isnt as easy on the eyes when your driving down a pitch black road. To put it in perspective, the factory halogen globes are Osram 55W and are about 3500K.

2014-05-22%2019.40.04.jpg

2014-05-22%2019.40.30.jpg

Hi, how are these lights holding up? Did you encounter any electrical problems or any issues with the HID's themselves?
Thanks

Dirty Harry

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF MY17 Series 2 Redline - Red Hot
Has anyone tried putting LED lights in? If so - how did they go?

VFboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
SV6 Lightening VF Commodore
I have the exact same units in 5000k, don't get 6000k is too blue, makes car stand out to police and you will eventually get busted as I did.
Of course these are all illegal, will void your insurance and third party blah blah, so make some enquiries about 5000k (max white light slight blue/greenish on startup) or 4300k (typical headlight whitish slight yellow), same vision and benefits.
yme9eqe3.jpg

Never put in lens without projector, you will need to adjust your beams, you will void all insurance cover at night.

Just wondering where you found them in 5000k! would definitely love to purchase a pair for myself.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
I have JW speaker LEDs in the hi/low beams and fogs. They are amazing, can’t fault them.
I have the same in high beams, replaced HID's. No warm up time with LED's!

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I know HIDs are illegal in headlight housings unless the housing is specifically designed for HID lamps, which as i understand must include a self leveling and headlight washer features so as not to blind other vehicle traffic.

And as i've been blinded a few times by yahoos with suspect HID installs, that think if they can see better the roads are safer, i can fully undrstand why we have and need such rules... Likely i'll be flamed for such a statement but any sensible minded person that thinks someone standing on a box infront of them at the footy is wrong should also understand thje need for rules around headlamps....

But, the controlled light output from commodore headlights is poor and of ancient design, so something better would be nice.

As i've not read up on LED based headlights, i don't know the rules around them. So does anyone know the rules around retrofitting LED lamps into halogen headlight housings that weren't designed to carry bright illumination? Is it at all possible and legal? Do such lamps come with some compliance cerificate otr do they have naff statements "not for road use". And if they are cocher, are retrofitted LED lamps easier to adjust the light output pattern to avoid the problem that retrofitted HID globed seem to suffer when used in halogen lamp housings?

Are there any other legal options available for improving headlight output?

Poor old Dad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Calais V
I don't know about the legalities of LEDs - I think they're legal as I know peeps who have had them fitted by "reputable" companies.

My main worry (tbh I don't know if it's still the case) is that LEDs whilst better illumination are/were inferior for distance ie in high beam.

If that's no longer the case I'd happily fit them but I'm not sure what advances, if any, have been made in that area.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
And as i've been blinded a few times by yahoos with suspect HID installs

They would be the yahoos who fit HID's into non projector head lights.
3 things required for HID's
Self levelling suspension.
Headlight washers.
Projector headlights.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I'm trying to navigate the ADRs which link to UN-ECE Regulation 98 for HID headlamps (the addendum goes into LED lamps) but it's a lot of technical reading. Hopefully i'll get through it and learn a little more of whats required to stay legal but i suspect it wont be possible to stay on the correct side of ADRs.

I have strong doubts that any HID globe placed within a headlight assembly designed for a halogen glode, be it a reflector or projector type, would comply to the regulations if a HID lamp was placed within. And that's even if the owner installed self leveling mechanism, whether acting on the lamp assembly or vehicle, installed washers or whatever. That's because the headlamp asemblies were designed for a different spead of light from the globe and halogen globes are not the same as HID globes in the way they spread light (unless i've missunderstood something technical).

In any case such frankenstien combos are not a 'complied' product combination so technically illegal.

But most would simply install the HIDs and seem more at night and think it's an improvement. Now before you bag me, i wonder how many installed a HID globe on one side, walked down the road, say 50 meters, and then looked back at his vehicle with the HID globe covered. Very simply assessed the halogen light output then had someone uncover the HID globe and cover the Halogen globe to again very simply assess the HID light output and determine if the HID bulb would blind oncoming vehicles. And such simplistic tests are not even close to the complex tests used to determine if light output meets regulation. I'd expect close to nobody would bother walking down the road to assess their 'new' lights as the prevailing attitude seems to be the seller knows best and it must be close enough to legal.

So maybe, i'd think you missed the 4th requirement - certification of the assembly AND globe.

But i'm no prude so if i could establish that a frankenstien HID/halogen projector assembly would meet legal requirements, then i'd be OK with it even if the certification wasn't done... but i have my reservations at the moment that they are even close to being OK.