Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Commodore HID Kits

KING46Calais V

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VFII Calais V 6.2L Sed
I have put Hids in my car from the eBay seller link on the initial pages. Hi lo and fogs. 4300k.
I picked that colour as it has the highest usable light output and is similar to standard so won't stand out too much for police. While LEDs may be brighter, they dont throw the light far enough ahead. I do a lot of night and highway driving so good light throw was important. In regard to legality, im sure that HIDs and LEDs are both no compliant in NSW for the reasons discussed earlier. There is also a heap of regs for the halogen globe alone about aim, cut offs and colour so it would be more than just the self levelling and projector housings you would need to change to get over the line.
Had them a few months now and never been flashed by an oncoming car. I haven't adjusted the headlights either.
Fitting was difficult as described earlier. For the info of others that are willing to take the risk, when you install the hi and low beam, make sure they are seated perfect in the housing. Easier said than done as it's all by feel. But I fiddled with mine for ages as they didn't look right. So what I did is turned them on and then fitted them to the housing. That way I could see the light pattern and was able to get them to match and make sure the were installed properly.
They make a huge difference and glad I made the swap.

Last edited:

TTubrag

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VFII SSV Redline
I have put Hids in my car from the eBay seller link on the initial pages.

How did the HIDs turn out re: light pattern from the low beam projector lenses in your VFII, KING46Calais V? Did you end up with any shadows in the light throw in front of the car? Or does the light pattern fully light the road in front of the car, identical to the standard Halogens?

Any chance you can put up a pic of the light pattern the HIDs throw from low beam?

I too like the idea of the 35 watt 4300k HIDs. More light output than the higher kelvin HID bulbs, with less unwanted attention.

Last edited:

KING46Calais V

Reaction score
Members Ride
How did the HIDs turn out re: light pattern from the low beam projector lenses in your VFII, KING46Calais V? Did you end up with any shadows in the light throw in front of the car? Or does the light pattern fully light the road in front of the car, identical to the standard Halogens?

Any chance you can put up a pic of the light pattern the HIDs throw from low beam?

I too like the idea of the 35 watt 4300k HIDs. More light output than the higher kelvin HID bulbs, with less unwanted attention.
Im really happy with them.
I don't appear to have any shadows and there is significant improvement over the stock halogens I think.
Its a much more even light and consistent across the beam. There is also a much more defined "kick" on the left side which I like as it lights up the side of the road.
Ive got a pretty crappy pic of them on close up. Leave it with me to get a few more out on the road.

Attachments

• 20180115_191036a.jpg
    20180115_191036a.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 476

KING46Calais V

Reaction score
Members Ride
I don't know about the legalities of LEDs - I think they're legal as I know peeps who have had them fitted by "reputable" companies.

My main worry (tbh I don't know if it's still the case) is that LEDs whilst better illumination are/were inferior for distance ie in high beam.

If that's no longer the case I'd happily fit them but I'm not sure what advances, if any, have been made in that area.
LEDs and HIDs are both ticket offences in NSW as they do not comply with standard. To get around that you would have to make sure any light you fit would comply with the ADRs regarding lights. Not something your local engineer can do as it has a lot to do with spread, output direction, colour, aim etc. I could see it taking a lot of money to get signed off for your 2 or 3 hundred dollar lights.
I have HID in my car but they are not stupid blue, are in projectors, don't blind oncoming vehicles and I don't drive in a way that's going to bring me under attention. If I get busted, I accept Ill have to wear it.

KING46Calais V

Reaction score
Members Ride
I don't know about the legalities of LEDs - I think they're legal as I know peeps who have had them fitted by "reputable" companies.

My main worry (tbh I don't know if it's still the case) is that LEDs whilst better illumination are/were inferior for distance ie in high beam.

If that's no longer the case I'd happily fit them but I'm not sure what advances, if any, have been made in that area.
I've seen the JW leds for sale at autobarn and they offer fitting as well. When I asked if they were legal, they said no. So why do you fit them to road cars? Well its up to the buyer what they do with the car after we fit them.
nice....

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Just because someone sells you something doesn’t mean they are looking out for your interests. Often companies can behave like drug pushers on street corners o_O

What’s very wrong is that there are laws covering the sale of certain items but the regulators simply don’t care. Money has to move around after all..

KING46Calais V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Just because someone sells you something doesn’t mean they are looking out for your interests. Often companies can behave like drug pushers on street corners o_O

What’s very wrong is that there are laws covering the sale of certain items but the regulators simply don’t care. Money has to move around after all..
I suppose its no different than selling blue park lights, pod air filters, blow off valves, plastic racing seats and every other defect on their shelves.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I suppose its no different than selling blue park lights, pod air filters, blow off valves, plastic racing seats and every other defect on their shelves.
Exactly.

But if I bought and Autobarn installed such items and I got a ticket, i’d be returning the products for a full refund and expecting compensation for the ticketcanary costs from Autobarn.

If i was the one that installed a product which was not clearly and boldly labels as ‘not for road use’, i’d return them and expect the same as above as the products they sell should be well labeled.

If the products were boldly labeled ‘not for road use’ and I still bought and installed them, then got a ticket/canary, i’d be an idiot and deserve the headache.

But such products being on shelves is still an example of regulatory failure...

VT&VX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Acclaim
Find a nice set of add on HID or LED driving lights with a lens.