Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Commodore HID Kits

KLoNe

Reaction score
Members Ride
6.2L V8 Phantom VF2 Calais-V
Don’t really understand your question. But that page is telling you to take note of the original light (cutoff) pattern before messing with the lights.

I still maintain that the Holden, who invested millions in the design of this vehicle knows better than some bloke in his backyard with cheap agtermarket components. If you don’t understand the instructions or the implications of what you’re doing, don’t attempt any work on your car.

There’s a reason engineers spend years in tertiary education.
Thanks Dad! Not sure where I asked if I was more highly educated than Holden's mechanical engineers, but thanks for your input anyway.
Enjoy your grumpy Sunday.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
@KLoNe, the light pattern in your picture is for right hand drive vehicles (that drive on the left hand side of the road). The cut-off is designed such that light is not projected upward towards, and blinds, on comming vehicles. In left hand drive markets, the cut-off pattern is reversed for obvious reasons.

Further, HID and LED headlamps are much much brighter than halogen headlamps and as such must meet different design rules that require auto levelers and headlight washers are included in the vehicle design. The reason for these requirements is again because HID/LED headlamps are much much brighter that halogen headlamps and they will blind oncoming vehicles if such components were not included in the vehicle design.

Complying HID or LED headlamps is a technically and beurocratically a complicated and costly process. Vehicle manufacturers will not take short cuts in the same way as these back yard Halogen replacement HID/LED globe insert manufactures do. And as yet i have not found any HID/LED globe inserts that are legal to use in a Halogen lamp assembly. Usually these inserts state "not for road use" for a reason - they are illegal on road vehciles and render your ride unroadworthy...

So, if you are not sure why the headlight cut-off is shaped the way it is, then i'd suggest that @EYY is correct in saying Holden Engineers know more than back yarders (and i'm including the aftermarket Halogen replacement HID/LED globe insert manufacturer in this category). So best to understand that what you are doing renders your vehicle unroadworthy and will almost certainly blind other road users and may even cause an accident.

If you don't understand the basics of headlamp design let alone roadworthy requirements of light projection, then i'd say its best to simply stick to what the manufacturer designed for your vehicle. After all Clint Eastwood said it well ;)

[paradox]

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV-R
Any insert wouldn't be legal as the stock projector assembly isn't self-cleaning, or self levelling.
depending on state, but if light output is > 2000lm

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
depending on state, but if light output is > 2000lm
In part that's the crux of the problem as the HID globe inserts i've seem mention the globe's power consumption in Watts and globe temperature (color) in Kelvin but none i've seen mention light output in Lux.... :oops:

And if some globe specified Lumens, well converting Lumens to Lux is not a simple conversion as it depends on distance and beam spread (view angle?)... o_O

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Any insert wouldn't be legal as the stock projector assembly isn't self-cleaning, or self levelling. From my understanding a self levelling system is quite complicated.

https://www.hella.com/techworld/uk/Technical/Automotive-lighting/Headlamp-levelling-system-838/

Scroll down to "Dynamic headlamp levelling systems".
Nice link :)

Yep, self leveling HIDs are complicated but a GM parts bin item that checp arse Holden chose to not include on the commodore (though Chevy SS got self leveling HIDs).

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Measurement of light output is pretty well irrelevant, you can be blinded by a $2 led torch if it's aimed towards your face. That's the whole point of what we're saying - focus and light pattern is the issue.

tommy_z

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Director
Nice link :)

Yep, self leveling HIDs are complicated but a GM parts bin item that checp arse Holden chose to not include on the commodore (though Chevy SS got self leveling HIDs).

I thought the Chevy SS weren’t self levelling as the US don’t have the rules for self levelling like they do here in Australia?

Otherwise... let’s buy from the States and bring them here! :D

[paradox]

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV-R
I thought the Chevy SS weren’t self levelling as the US don’t have the rules for self levelling like they do here in Australia?

Otherwise... let’s buy from the States and bring them here! :D
self leveling but no washers
considering the amount of SS that we actually exported, it wouldnt be an easy feat.
also obviously theirs is setup for cutoff on the other side of the road to us