Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Commodore HID Kits

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
I have had the hid kits in previous vf commies but with my current one i put these leds into the hi-beams and i am quite amazed at the output and the best thing is no startup time.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Nightey...am-Replace-Halogen-72W-9000LM-AU/152836311786

I dont bother with low beams because doing those is just a measuring contest but night driving in my area with hi beams is important and these cheap 30 to 40 dollar leds have served me well.
I originally bought them just to test and i didnt really think they were going to be good because of the cheap price but now i have used them i wont bother with hids again as these work really well with the vf hi reflector.

Last edited:

Zehq

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF2 SV6 Black
I have had the hid kits in previous vf commies but with my current one i put these leds into the hi-beams and i am quite amazed at the output and the best thing is no startup time.
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Nightey...am-Replace-Halogen-72W-9000LM-AU/152836311786

I dont bother with low beams because doing those is just a measuring contest but night driving in my area with hi beams is important and these cheap 30 to 40 dollar leds have served me well.
I originally bought them just to test and i didnt really think they were going to be good because of the cheap price but now i have used them i wont bother with hids again as these work really well with the vf hi reflector.
How many Kms they lasted you so far?

Poor old Dad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Calais V
night driving in my area with hi beams is important and these cheap 30 to 40 dollar leds have served me well.

Hey mate, how do you find them for distance?

I never really looked at LEDs for high beam as it used to be that distance was a problem (ie not as good as halogens).

We're off on our mid year trek (Darwin this year) in a few weeks and if that's no longer the case I'll certainly buy these.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
How many Kms they lasted you so far?
I dont know in kms but they have been in for 2 years now and still work great.

Hey mate, how do you find them for distance?

I never really looked at LEDs for high beam as it used to be that distance was a problem (ie not as good as halogens).

Compared to halogens its like having spotlights.
The cob leds are very different to the older smd ones.

I think for anyone just buy a set and try them and if you dont like them do a return or sell them on gumtree.

HotdogNo1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSv Redline A6 W407

Thanks Stooge
I Just ordered some H9 Leds :)
update..
The next day after ordering. I received a refund from the supplier. He found quality problems with the product and withdraw the order.

Last edited:

TSMAX

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV CLUBSPORT R8
I've used the nighteye led kit in my wife's car, nice white light and good output. Installed them over 6 months ago and so far so good.
I've got 6000k HID low beam in my car (most of my driving is city), but I could see the difference between stock halogen and HID straight away.
These were installed around 2 years ago, and going good so far.

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Have had HID's on both commodores for years. Love them.

Wattage is determined by the driver, not the globe.

Also make sure you get the correct HID globe for the car.
Projector globes are going to need to be different to reflector lensed headlights.

The brightness of modern globes is often misunderstood.
It's to do with drivers being used to the particular cloud temp of Halogen.
The 4300K or 6000K aren't any brighter on the same, say 35w driver. They are in a different colour range though, and that is what people mistakenly describe as being brighter because of the way human eyes perceive that colour range to be.

So 4300K will be closest to a regular halogen colour and the least noticeable.

If I were to do the globes again, I'd now use LED, especially on the high beam, because of the lag time in illuminating.

I changed to HID because I was sick of buying over priced performance halogen globes (It scares me driving with standard globes) that lasted 9 months or around that.

LED have come so far.
Headlight Revolution have the best range available. They also do some fantastic tests on the various types on the market.
This is considered the ducks nuts in the world at the moment. The V.4.
It will maintain the cars exact beam pattern designed by the factory, which of course, manages the annoyance to other drivers when poor beam pattern globes are used. (Like using the incorrect HID globe for Projector v reflector)
https://headlightrevolution.com/led-headlight-bulbs/v-4-led-headlight-bulbs/

Go to 5:15 for the comparison to begin

This is another good comprehensive, and relatively intelligent comparison video, this time involving the V.4 v HID.

What I like about the Headlight Revolution people is they are totally aware of how poor fitting and poor quality bulbs can distract other drivers. It doesn't have to be that way.

Last edited:

HotdogNo1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSv Redline A6 W407
2019-05-31 14.26.50.jpg

Found another (H9) nighteye High Beam led supplier on FB for $33 delivered, installed today and are working well
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Nighteye-H11-LED-Headlight-Light-Bulbs-White-Beam-Replace-Halogen-72W-9000LM-AU/112401409301?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Last edited: