Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF commodore redline lowering help needed

SHAYNE Kiwi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF commodore SSV Redline
Hey team, Shayne here from NZ “don’t hold that against me” mums an Aussie.
First post on here and I hope I can also answer a few questions in the future in return.

I know it’s probably been done to death but Ive got an OTR, headers, 3inch tubes and high flow cats with a custom dyno tune and the AFM deleted, and now I want want to lower the ride. It’s on the factory staggered 19s, I’m stuck between BC golds and Tein adjustable coilovers. The current suspension is the FE3. I want it to sit with the tyre having maybe half an inch between it and the guard. My questions are:
Will I need a camber kit
Should I roll the rear guards
Is it a straight forward install
Is a whiteline sway bar kit and links recommended.
Can the alignment guys do a good job afterwards.

Thanks in advance any help is appreciated

[paradox]

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV-R
Half an inch from the top of the tyre to the bottom of the guard?
1. not at that height
2. on factory wheels i dont think it would be needed, obviously depends on the tyres you are sticking on them also
3. depends on how handy you are with a spanner and spring compressors, replace the front strut tops while you are there
4. thats probably going to depend on what spring rates you go to if the swaybars need changing
5. depends if you have good alignment guys.. honestly doesnt sound like you want to go too low, so shouldnt be a problem

SHAYNE Kiwi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF commodore SSV Redline
Thank you really appreciate your response. Your right not keen on really low but like the option to dump it if I need to. Any coilover adjusters that you recommend?

[paradox]

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV-R
depending on what you want to spend
im considering either mca green/street essential or the h&r/bilstein setup

SHAYNE Kiwi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF commodore SSV Redline
I have done some more searching. Looking like I’ll go with the Bilsteins with a lowered spring. Am I right to believe that I’m after the Bilstein B8 front and rear shocks?
It’s a 2014 SSV Redline sedan with FE3

saroadie

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF SV6 Storm

SHAYNE Kiwi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF commodore SSV Redline
Every time I look at a set the appear different. Some fronts are yellow some black. Was going to buy from super spares on eBay as he will ship to NZ and not a bad deal either for direct swap out shocks. He’s offered me the B8 type

saroadie

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF SV6 Storm
Every time I look at a set the appear different. Some fronts are yellow some black. Was going to buy from super spares on eBay as he will ship to NZ and not a bad deal either for direct swap out shocks. He’s offered me the B8 type
The fronts are black because the B8 Bilstein damper has already been fitted to the front strut. The kit is supplied with these new struts. These are ready to bolt straight in. This is done by the seller because the struts in your car are sealed and the insert in them in not removable. If you buy just the damper, you'll need to cut the top off your strut and weld on the supplied top threaded section to accept the removable gland nut. Doable but a hassle. I've got the gear and expertise to do this but still bought the kit.

SHAYNE Kiwi

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF commodore SSV Redline
Thank you much appreciated. Some are also yellow on the front? Is there a difference? Do you like the Bilsteins now they’re in your car