Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Commodore, WN Caprice Gain Five Star Safety

Darren

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
BYD Atto 3 / RAV4 Hybrid
Holden’s highly-anticipated VF Commodore and WN Caprice range has been awarded a maximum five star ANCAP safety rating just weeks before it officially arrives in Australian showrooms.

The five star rating applies to every new Commodore sedan, Sportwagon and Ute and long wheel base Caprice variant.

From the entry level Evoke sedan to the flagship Caprice V, every VF and WN variant is comprehensively equipped with advanced safety technology features including Auto Park Assist, rear view camera and front and rear parking sensors.

Holden also makes available Forward Collision Alert, Lane Departure Warning, Blind Spot Alert, Reverse Traffic Alert and Head-Up Display across a range of models.

This is in addition to the long list of standard safety features on Commodore and Caprice including front driver and passenger airbags, side curtain and new pelvis/thorax side impact airbags, Electronic Stability Control with ABS, EBD, EBA and TCS, rear seat belt reminder that alerts the driver if the rear seats are unbuckled in transit, and flashing emergency stop lights.

Furthermore, all Commodore sedan, Sportwagon and Caprice models are equipped with three ISOFIX child seat anchorage points across the back row.

Holden makes this globally proven child seat safety technology available to Australian families by offering the latest ISOFIX anchorage system ahead of the technology's official approval by Standards Australia. ISOFIX is an international system for attaching child restraints to vehicles that assists in correct seat fitment.

Holden's Manager for Vehicle Structure & Safety Integration, Steve Curtis said achieving ANCAP's five star safety rating reinforces Holden’s strong commitment to making safety accessible to all Australians.

"We worked extremely hard to advance every key safety metric across the new Commodore and Caprice range," he said.

"Commodore is a popular family car, but what most large cars haven’t been able to offer before is three ISOFIX fastenings across the back seat.

"Research suggests around 70 per cent of conventional Australian child safety seats are fitted incorrectly, which means ISOFIX technology will become an important feature for families with young children."

Source - Holden Media

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
RE: ANCAP - I would not trust it as far as I could throw it. I have witnessed such tests taken place (in 2005). They draw very unscientific conclusions. Eg. this vehicle tested was an SUV, and being as such it was exempted from the side impact test. There was much excitement amongst company reps and organisation staff that today would be a 5-star test...well the car hit the barrier at 64kmh and the passenger airbag did not fire! It was given, as they say in golf, a 'mulligan'. Few weeks later it was tested again and got a reasonable result (4 stars). A few years previously a passenger vehicle from the same company had total structural failure in the frontal test, the road wheel entering the footwell, lodging the dummy's knee into its chest 'killing' him. This car model was, yes, retested and awarded 4 stars. These vehicles that were tested with horrific results were bought straight off dealer lots anonymously. Who knows how many dodgy new cars are getting about, with potentially fraudulent 4/5 star ratings.

ANCAP is such bullshit....

D

David87965

RE: ANCAP - I would not trust it as far as I could throw it. I have witnessed such tests taken place (in 2005). They draw very unscientific conclusions. Eg. this vehicle tested was an SUV, and being as such it was exempted from the side impact test. There was much excitement amongst company reps and organisation staff that today would be a 5-star test...well the car hit the barrier at 64kmh and the passenger airbag did not fire! It was given, as they say in golf, a 'mulligan'. Few weeks later it was tested again and got a reasonable result (4 stars). A few years previously a passenger vehicle from the same company had total structural failure in the frontal test, the road wheel entering the footwell, lodging the dummy's knee into its chest 'killing' him. This car model was, yes, retested and awarded 4 stars. These vehicles that were tested with horrific results were bought straight off dealer lots anonymously. Who knows how many dodgy new cars are getting about, with potentially fraudulent 4/5 star ratings.

ANCAP is such bullshit....

agreed. i like to think that any car you will die if you crash. it makes me concentrate harder than if i was told "5 star death-proof car"

Shearer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS ute
IRC when Toyota released the 'then' new 2006 Camry the ANCAP test showed it wasn't as safe as the previous model. When Toyota doubted the crash test, ANCAP replied "Our tests are just guide".......

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
agreed. i like to think that any car you will die if you crash. it makes me concentrate harder than if i was told "5 star death-proof car"

Agree 100%. I find when I drive the VX I tend to be a bit maniacal. In the VB, I drive like a bit of a granny lol....

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Can someone tell me how parking assist and parking sensors are safety technology?

some_guy

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SII Exec.
Can someone tell me how parking assist and parking sensors are safety technology?

I'd be happier to put them under the title of "an Idiot control measure"

D

David87965

Agree 100%. I find when I drive the VX I tend to be a bit maniacal. In the VB, I drive like a bit of a granny lol....

you will feel safer in your VB if you watch this LOL

Last edited by a moderator:

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline

This video was made with a modified vehicle and the test was done at basically un-survivable speeds to test the new facility.

As far as safety ratings go many of them are just a checklist of bulldust, however many safety features offer real benefits and getting a 5 star is very important in a buyers checklist as well.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline

This video was made with a modified vehicle and the test was done at basically un-survivable speeds to test the new facility.

As far as safety ratings go many of them are just a checklist of bulldust, however many safety features offer real benefits and getting a 5 star is very important in a buyers checklist as well.

The sensors account for safety to people outside the vehicle as well as occupants and are a full measure of the overall safety.