Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF "cough"

rdieseldawg

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve s2
Hi gang!

I have a 2015 sv6 with lfx engine.
At idle, hot or cold, it has an intermittent cough, like it's going to stop running.

I've changed plugs and cleaned o2 sensors...and had Lube Mobile do their injector clean.

*car is always run on 98, but I do know the dealership used e10*
I bought the car at 28000km, and was fine until about 10000km ago (now on 88000)

Does anyone else experience this?

If so how'd you fix it?

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Have you had it scanned for trouble codes?

LodiBruce

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 Chevy SS Sedan
Fuel filter or contaminated fuel? B.

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
Hi gang!

I have a 2015 sv6 with lfx engine.
At idle, hot or cold, it has an intermittent cough, like it's going to stop running.

I've changed plugs and cleaned o2 sensors...and had Lube Mobile do their injector clean.

*car is always run on 98, but I do know the dealership used e10*
I bought the car at 28000km, and was fine until about 10000km ago (now on 88000)

Does anyone else experience this?

If so how'd you fix it?
Is it a idle?

My 09ve v6 has done this twice at lights in last month, just waiting St lights in drive and coughs all most stall then all good. Never done it before no engine light etc, just clicked up 205k so thinking if might be a sensor??? Good luck finding it

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
I've changed plugs

What about leads? Those and coils are where I'd definitely head to next.

But as others say, avoid the lottery and get it scanned.

rdieseldawg

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve s2
So I just finished my drive home...

Ran like a champ, however it was coughing all the way to work this morning.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
When did this cough start and did it start to occur after a particular fuel refill?

With a car running sweet and occasionally running poorly, it may make fault finding rather difficult indeed. But when it runs bad, check for pending fault code as these can clear after a couple of restarts if the fault goes away. Obd2 dongles are cheap and your can read these pending codes via a phone app. In any case, your problem is an odd one indeed :eek:

I started to get a cough and splutter with check engine lamp after filling up my other car at Safeway. They of course denied their fuel caused the issue but I had enough proof that my insurance company couldn’t deny it was not Safeway so it was covered without excess charge. Flushed tank and lines and sonically cleaned injectors but the car was not as crisp on the throttle as it used to be. Oh well, should have demanded new injectors.

Another car I had problems had a rather visible cause in a garage at night with no lights on and bonnet up. The spark plug leads and coil pack were arcing something shocking yet the car would run reasonably well. It would occasionally skip a beat or serveral at idle, usually in hotter weather. But, in a modern car, such problems should cause fault codes o_O