Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Din Slot

Milner91

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V 6.0 V8
Hi everyone,

just wondering how hard it would be to put a single DIN Radio under the HVAC controls in the cubby?

I can sort out the power from the 12v socket jut I want to know if its possible to make it fit before I go cutting

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Welcome to JC’s.

VF’s don’t have a DIN slot so the factory MyLink infotainment system is not designed for easy replacement, both from a mechanical, wiring and software perspective.

Also, MyLink is very proprietary and heavily integrated into the vehicles systems. There are a few supposed plug and play replacements but they all seem to have their own quirks and problems.

The real question you should be asking should be phrased around what features you want and what you’re trying to achieve, such as “want DAB+” or “better sound quality” or “parametric equaliser features”, “more power”, “CD or DVD player”, etc...

In any case, space seems rather tight behind and around the MyLink components, some of which you can see in this eBay sellers add.

But there are plenty of threads on MyLink removal, upgrade and replacement comparison so have a look around. Here’s one thread on kayhan mylink replacement hands on info.

(I find it easier to use google to search the www using keywords “justcommodore mylink removal replacement” which should get you some relevant hits. If you just want to search JC site use “site: https://forums.justcommodores.com.au vf mylink removal replacement” as a google search term.)

Cheers.

Milner91

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V 6.0 V8
Thanks for the info Skaylarking, but I don’t want to replace the mylink, I want to fit a single din 2 way radio under the hvac controls.

I just wanted to know if it’s possible to do ( I know it will require some cutting) or do air vents and stuff run tight behind there?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
VF series 1 had a CD player under the MyLink so there was some space but whether Holden redesigned the wiring and ducting for series 2 I don’t know.

Probably the bigger issue is where it’s safe to put a CB transmitter considering transmit power levels, nearby wiring, cross talk, etc, w.r.t all the computers within our vehicles these days.

I’d probably look at putting the main unit somewhere else, under seat? boot?, somewhere other than under MyLink. And as most transmitters have remote heads, that should be possible.

Maybe someone else has more experiance with such things, people with for example police cars installs knowledge...

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
Thanks for the info Skaylarking, but I don’t want to replace the mylink, I want to fit a single din 2 way radio under the hvac controls.

I just wanted to know if it’s possible to do ( I know it will require some cutting) or do air vents and stuff run tight behind there?

The CD player was above the aircon controls just below Mylink . From memory there is a vacant space behind the 12v adapter but the fire wall might start to spread into the floor arch at that point . pulling mylink out to have a look isn't too hard. might be the best bet

EDIT: Just had a quick look , I recon there should be plenty room

Last edited:

Milner91

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V 6.0 V8
The CD player was above the aircon controls just below Mylink . From memory there is a vacant space behind the 12v adapter but the fire wall might start to spread into the floor arch at that point . pulling mylink out to have a look isn't too hard. might be the best bet

Thanks for that, I have a Kayhan audio unit coming Wednesday so ill have a look then when I put it all in

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director

EDIT: Just had a quick look , I recon there should be plenty room
The radio player is still there just it doesn't have a CD slot. The touch screen is only a panel and talks to the Radio player below behind the HVAC controls. It is a decent size unit.

kleanphil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V SII Sportwagon
The radio player is still there just it doesn't have a CD slot. The touch screen is only a panel and talks to the Radio player below behind the HVAC controls. It is a decent size unit.
Yes , ive had mine out a few times . I believe he wants to put it right at the bottom where the 12v socket is , if he keeps it hard up to the bottom of the hvac controls it may just fit and might be able to make it look neat enough

Cam-ralph

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6
You will find the aircon ducting is a snug fit in behind there, as you can see in this photo when I had the entire dash out,
78397D47-0C6A-44D6-ACE0-6A9F339C3A71.jpeg
EAE55744-A1C3-43D0-9F42-14F125E998A7.jpeg