Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Door Speaker Install with pics

h1tek

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 Sportwagon
Did u just supply the amp using the speaker wires? I always thought RCA were better for sound quality but that was 20 years ago, maybe amps have improved since then.

Damn, this forum isn't exactly lacking in the enabling department!

lol spending time here will cost you.

and yes the amp has line level inputs so basically cut the speaker wires, plug them into the amp. the amp is really small so I put it just under the glovebox, and ran the wires behind the dash. only hard part is running a power wire back to the battery.

as for RCA cables, they are better quality, and aftermarket head units have rca outputs. with the factory head unit you need to connect a line output converter to the factory unit then run rca's from that. technically its the better option but too much cost and effort for me. I'm very happy with what I have.

iamandrew

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 Wagon
hmm I just called up a place in town about getting an Amp installed, but the guy on the phone said that its best to get a signal processor, but thats going to be an extra $400 or so?
$300 for a 4 channel amp and then $400 processor... then install costs :(

SuckSqueezeBangBlow

Reaction score
Members Ride
Heroin White VF2 SS Wagon
lol spending time here will cost you.

and yes the amp has line level inputs so basically cut the speaker wires, plug them into the amp. the amp is really small so I put it just under the glovebox, and ran the wires behind the dash. only hard part is running a power wire back to the battery.

as for RCA cables, they are better quality, and aftermarket head units have rca outputs. with the factory head unit you need to connect a line output converter to the factory unit then run rca's from that. technically its the better option but too much cost and effort for me. I'm very happy with what I have.

Isn't there power at some unused plug behind the glovebox? I know most amplifiers get wired in the biggest overkill cabling.

Flo Rider

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6
Nice work mate. Hope the trim clips are still in tact!

h1tek

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 Sportwagon
I just bought this amp http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-CLAR...298694?hash=item3f57856186:g:cf4AAOSwLF1X4GKZ, and a wiring kit for an extra $30. I always run the power cable direct to Battery, but there is a thick power cable that runs from the battery to the engine that possibly could be used, i have no idea.

Took about 2 hours and 4 beers to install it myself. quality wise the sound coming out of the speakers is perfect to my ears, and the volume is as loud as I want it. I certainly wouldn't be spending $700 just on the parts.

cdr8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VF Maloo R8
I installed Polk Audio DXi651 speakers into my wagon. It improved the sound quite a lot, but it still lacks bass. That is one of the two most annoying things about buying a VF2 wagon, you get the crap standard audio system and not the BOSE system the sedans get. The other is the lousy HVAC (same on the sedans), have mine set on 24 and it still blows out cold air. Have to crank it right up to get hot. Anyway that is getting off the topic.

SuckSqueezeBangBlow

Reaction score
Members Ride
I ended up buying these today:

https://www.ryda.com.au/morel-maximus-602-two-way-car-speakers

Only 60wrms but with 94db sensitivity it should be powered adequately by the mylink pos.

In my Dmax I had infinity 100wrms splits in the front and rear running off a 100wrms 4ch amp and they sounded amazing at high volume but I only tested it to those volumes, never actually used the power.

I'll run these straight off the mylink, as Morel seems to have designed them to do, to see if they satisfy my ears. I'm quietly confident they will. I'll be doing some sound deadening of the door and trim also.

BOOF308

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega 2008
I think the answer to my question would be "yes" but here goes. Upgrading speakers will void vehicle warranty?

SuckSqueezeBangBlow

Reaction score
Members Ride
I think the answer to my question would be "yes" but here goes. Upgrading speakers will void vehicle warranty?

Farting in your car or eating Maccas in it will void the warranty