Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Driveline issues

Chunk2552

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 vf ssv ute
Hey everyone... ive been reading for awhile never actually posted or started a thread...

My vf ssv manual has been making some harsh clunking noise which sounds to be coming from the diff... its around the 330rwkw mark has Detroit locker and all fresh diff rebuild 12 months ago (broken 3 rh driveshafts since) because of how low it was, lifted and inch and now this problem... i have been told the tailshaft cv could be problem??? Has anyone else had issues with the tailshaft???

DanielSS-V

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V Redline
You have heavily modified your car, I'm not sure how many people would have an equivalent vehicle to share their thoughts on. That said, with that many changes, it doesn't sound unreasonable to think the tail shaft could have had enough given what else has already gone wrong with the car.

Chunk2552

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 vf ssv ute
Yes agreed... as i was doing more research last night... i found the noise is also the same as a tooth broken off either the crown and pinion... but as above it was all new 4:11's as of 13/08/2016... so purchasing second hand tailshaft to confirm. And will let you know...

Brand new is an expensive exercise especially if its not the cause...
If it fixes the problem and happens again i will know and replace with an upgraded tailshaft as i have everything else... cheers

Chunk2552

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 vf ssv ute
If i knew how to post a video here i would let you hear the noise

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Do you have a youtube account to upload to then post share link here?

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Oh man i have no idea but glad the video is up for all to see.

Definitely doesn't sound healthy

I wanna say diff but as you said, expensive guess.
Suppose cant drain the diff and use one of those magnet things to see if anything at bottom of diff housing

Hope ya sort it and report back if ya can once solved.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Try disconnecting the tailshaft and turning the wheels by hand. See of you can still feel or hear the noise.

lmfvf2ssredlineute

Reaction score
Members Ride
vf2 ssv redline lmf ute
that sounds to be hollow like its coming from the tailshaft universal joints maybe , get a length of garden hose bout a meter long put one end of the hose against gearbox housing , other end of the hose to your ear. you should be able to find and pin point where noise is coming from
it does sound hollow tinnie to me maybe tailshaft related
good luck with it mate hope its a easy cheap fix

Chunk2552

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 vf ssv ute
Hey guys sorry been busy at work... yeah its more tinny in person aswell mate... drop the diff oil out yesterday and was clean... rang around for second hand tailshafts... found one for $500 delivered... ended up ringing the local holden dealer where i used to mechanic and they done me a deal... brand new for $912 ($1300ish retail) so hopefully here by friday... then i can enter the drags saturday

Will keep yous posted