Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vf engine rattle

Chrisj911

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 vf ssv commodore
Hi guys, new member here, I have a vf ssv wagon, no mods, and it makes a faint metallic kind of noise/rattle under acceleration only, seems to be coming from the engine. It is always there but does die off when just cruising without much acceleration. I've read that this may just be normal for these cars but was hoping for confirmation, and does anyone know what it is or how to get rid of it?

christov

RFFN RFFR
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, BMW M4 Coupe, Harley V-Rod
Howdy,

It's just valve train noise and injector pulse nothing to be worried about. L77s are noisy engines.

QAR

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
SS-V Wagon
As above, you can stuff decent industrial soundproofing under the engine cover (turtleback) without affecting the look, and or buy an acoustic blanket to lay over the engine bay.

KT11H

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline Ute
Yes, it is "normal" as I were told by dealer workshop and an independent workshop. I am still getting use to the noise now, apparently it is kind of "characteristic" of the Holden V8 engine. Only happens when the vehicle is accelerating, rattle snake kind of metalic noises...Hardly can hear it when the windows are up, more obvious when going up the ramps with windows down in multi-storey car parks. No known cure as far as eveyone is saying, let us know if one is found....

Chrisj911

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 vf ssv commodore
Cool, I can put up with it as long as it's normal and most if not all the L77's do it. If they don't all do it, there must be a reason.

rp1969

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SV6
I've got exactly the same noise in my VE SV6. It started just before I had timing chains replaced but is still there. The mechanics think it might be loose material in one of the cats. Are the V6 & V8 the same at the front end of the exhaust system ? Might explain why I have the same symptoms as your V8.