Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Evoke 2014 sedan - remove battery strap question

Geoff6666

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf 1 SSV UTE 6M Phantom
My other car had a flat battery for weeks and I changed the battery myself without any other power supplied to the car and the radio and I think all the driver settings were retained. It took me about 50 mins to swap the battery so the car would of been without power for at least 10 mins. Battery was dead with only about 9 volts when I removed it.
My battery was disconnected for about 2 weeks while waiting for a replacement alternator. The only thing I had to do was reset the clock! 5year old original battery went dead flat, but charged up and been working fine ever since.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
The workshop manual itself is quite clear about the VIN matching during startup as part of the theft protection on page 3653 of 11631.

And I’ve found no other reference to security (radio) code within either owners manual or workshop manual.

there is no radio code it is all vin based over the can with the vin being stored in a eeprom chip in the modules.

the info cards have the security number and the key code
the security number is used for programming modules like the immobilizer, cluster, mylink etc and the idea behind it is to prevent unauthorized programming of the modules but the flaw is you can read that number from the eeprom in the bcm, cluster etc because it is stored in plaintext.

you should be able to find your info card and see the "radio pin" field is blank.

Another question I've just thought of - will I need the radio code once I've replaced the battery? I searched "radio code" in that manual and it didn't come up with anything. Couldn't find in the car manual either.

read above ;)
but also when changing the battery you do not need to keep power to the vehicle or anything mythical like that you can just change the battery and when you connect the new battery jump in the vehicle and start it for all the modules to sync.
you may need to open and close the windows to reset those modules and the time and date on the mylink will need to be set but everything else is stored in hardware memory.

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
but also when changing the battery you do not need to keep power to the vehicle or anything mythical like that you can just change the battery and when you connect the new battery jump in the vehicle and start it for all the modules to sync.
you may need to open and close the windows to reset those modules and the time and date on the mylink will need to be set but everything else is stored in hardware memory.

I don't think its mythical, or "anything like that", and the point is seemingly qualified with the last bit about windows and MyLink, but also affects security. Not all customers want to be held up with this nigglies! They want the car serviced, jump in and get on with it. The process for stand-in power is not just used on the cars we fancy, but Audi, VW...many and more at my service facility where they are all Holden-trained and qualified. They haven't dreamed up reasons out of PixelLand... ;)

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
I don't think its mythical, or "anything like that", and the point is seemingly qualified with the last bit about windows and MyLink, but also affects security.

it does not effect "security" in any way shape or form, modern vehicles are nothing like what you are thinking of as everything important is saved to hardware memory.

the clock in the mylink is not saved to hardware memory because it is a constantly changing variable and saving every second would destroy the write life of the memory chip being written to.

in some vehicles with auto up/down windows the windows need to be run through a simple learn process which takes 20 seconds inside any dealership.

there are many cases a dealer will remove the power to service things, for instance anything near an airbag so again there is no need to keep the power on during a battery change.

customers do not get held up with niggles because when the mechanic moves the car from the workshop to the customer pickup area they first off "test drive the vehicle" and secondly make sure the vehicle has no niggles and is returned the way it was received while over looking the grease they leave behind.

i would want them to power down the vehicle during a battery change because the low amps being fed via the obd port would lead to voltage drops causing modules to have issues in the same way people come here and have a flat battery then report that the mylink will not work because the can is screwed up due to voltage drops and how disconnecting the battery solves the issue ;)

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
there is no radio code it is all vin based over the can with the vin being stored in a eeprom chip in the modules.
Yes I know, I was replying to Big Red post which is why I quoted him.
the info cards have the security number and the key code
the security number is used for programming modules like the immobilizer, cluster, mylink etc and the idea behind it is to prevent unauthorized programming of the modules but the flaw is you can read that number from the eeprom in the bcm, cluster etc because it is stored in plaintext.
Yeah, I also suspected that the security code was used for module programming though I didn't check or reference the service manual specifically. Again it was to correct Big Red’s view that the security code on the card was related to a radio code as used in days gone by.

Interestingly, I suspect the InfoCard is not standardised as shown in the manual, mine certainly isn’t... It contains required codes but makes a silly reference to radio code... I do wish it had tne RPO codes for my car as shown within the owner manual example INFOCARD. As I mentioned, GM QC on display :p
... you do not need to keep power to the vehicle or anything mythical like that you can just change the battery and when you connect the new battery jump in the vehicle and start it for all the modules to sync.
Agreed as to our VF’s. But each manufacturer and sometimes each model range within a given manufacturer behaves a little different when disconnecting a battery. Each has its own service procedures and it probably overwhelms the service staff when under the pump. So I’d thing it’s prudent to standardise the plugging in of a battery saver in the hope such would limit any service stuff ups when changing battery...

As always it’s LCD thinking and part of the reason for the urban myth :rolleyes: Ok it’s a guess on my part but what can one expect when they read of service staff figuratively smearing faeces on their pride and joy :eek:

Last edited:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
... The only thing I had to do was reset the clock! ...
Why oh why couldn’t those idiots that designing the infotainment system allow the clock to be auto set from gps and auto adjust for DST, if a NAV system is present... Ain’t rocket science...

Last edited:

berlina411

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV Redline (Weekender). Truck (Daily)
When I changed my battery last year I simply used jumper cables from my other car to the jumper terminals in engine bay. Disconnected battery in boot, swapped to new battery then removed jumper cables. Didn't have to reset anything and it all powered up correctly on first start