Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Evoke 2014 sedan - remove battery strap question

jimmy_d

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Evoke
Hi guys,

I own a VF Evoke 2014 sedan and am trying to change the battery. I'm getting stuck trying to remove the nut which is holding down the strap over the battery.

I've tried a 14mm socket on it which was a bit big and the nut was slipping. I couldn't fit a 13mm piece on it as it wasn't deep enough for the bolt to fit into. So I couldn't even confirm if the 13mm is the right size. The imperial socket sizes ran into the same issue with not being deep enough. The nut is screwed on really tight and there's not enough space in there to get leverage with a spanner.

It looks like I need to buy a deep socket piece such as this from bunnings: https://www.bunnings.com.au/kincrome-13mm-1-4-square-drive-deep-socket_p6110840

My question is: can anyone please confirm for me if 13mm is the correct size (as I suspect it is) before I go out and buy it?

It will just save me a lot of to and fro hassle with Bunnings if I get it wrong, as they are taking a while to process orders at the moment.

Many thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20200916_174531.jpg
    IMG_20200916_174531.jpg
    305.2 KB · Views: 311

vywgn

Reaction score
Members Ride
1967 Holden HR Premier Wagon / 2015 VFII SV6 Sedan
Yes it is a 13mm, try putting the socket on there without the ratchet connected then put the ratchet on. It might not go in all the way due to the bolt but may allow you to get it undone

Reactions: Lex

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Not sure what you’re doing but if you want to remove the battery from the vehicle, you need to do a few things as it’s not just the strap that holds it down.

First you’d remove (or pull aside) the rear compartment side trim. The you need to disconnect the negative cable followed by the positive cable from the battery posts. Next you need to remove the battery hold down retainer bolt and the retainer itself which is on the right left side lower part of the battery tray. Lastly you can remove the battery strap nut and the battery strap... Now you can remove the battery by lifting it out of its place using the flip up handle on the top of the battery.

The removal process is listed on page 4009 of 11631 of the VF workshop manual but it doesn’t list bolt and nut sizes though it does list torque specs.

Last edited:

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
Nut is 12mm on VF S2 Sportwagon (which uses a solid metal plate to secure, rather than a strap).
Use a ring spanner, not a socket.
Don't forget to secure the vent tube after disconnecting it or it will wallow down into the darkness.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
Not sure what you’re doing but if you want to remove the battery from the vehicle, you need to do a few things as it’s not just the strap that holds it down.

First you’d remove (or pull aside) the rear compartment side trim. The you need to disconnect the negative cable followed by the positive cable from the battery posts. Next you need to remove the battery hold down retainer bolt and the retainer itself which is on the right side lower part of the battery tray. Lastly you can remove the battery strap nut and the battery strap... Now you can remove the battery by lifting it out of its place using the flip up handle on the top of the battery.

The removal process is listed on page 4009 of 11631 of the VF workshop manual but it doesn’t list bolt and nut sizes though it does list torque specs.

Isn't the retainer on the left side if you look at the battery?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride

jimmy_d

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Evoke
Yes it is a 13mm, try putting the socket on there without the ratchet connected then put the ratchet on. It might not go in all the way due to the bolt but may allow you to get it undone

Thanks, I was going to go with this until the last guy said it's 12mm... now I'm confused.

First you’d remove (or pull aside) the rear compartment side trim. The you need to disconnect the negative cable followed by the positive cable from the battery posts. Next you need to remove the battery hold down retainer bolt and the retainer itself which is on the right left side lower part of the battery tray. Lastly you can remove the battery strap nut and the battery strap... Now you can remove the battery by lifting it out of its place using the flip up handle on the top of the battery.

Thanks for the detailed answer.

I am replacing the battery as the car wouldn't start the other day. It was making a machine gun clicking sound. I looked it up on youtube and came to the conclusion that it was a problem with battery. It might still be the original battery in there which would make it 6+ years old as well. I'm not a car guy but wanted to give this a go myself, so I could learn how to do it and save a few bucks.

Nut is 12mm on VF S2 Sportwagon (which uses a solid metal plate to secure, rather than a strap).
Use a ring spanner, not a socket.
Don't forget to secure the vent tube after disconnecting it or it will wallow down into the darkness.

I have a 2014 VF evoke sedan, so is that information relevant for me? I'll be mindful of the vent tube.

Now I have 2 opinions - 12 and 13mm. Can anyone confirm which it is?

vywgn

Reaction score
Members Ride
1967 Holden HR Premier Wagon / 2015 VFII SV6 Sedan
Can confirm again as i said earlier 13mm

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
... I am replacing the battery as the car wouldn't start the other day. It was making a machine gun clicking sound. I looked it up on youtube and came to the conclusion that it was a problem with battery. It might still be the original battery in there which would make it 6+ years old as well.
Yeah, a clicking sound is a flat battery. Questing is why is the battery flat? If the battery is indeed 6+ years old, it’s almost certain the battery is not holding change (sulphated). Otherwise the smart charging system is not doing what it needs to charge the battery. In this case, you should see what voltage is being pushed by the alternator when the car is running. With a flat battery, you should see 14 or more volts being pumped into the batter, if not it could be the battery current sensor or alternator which is faulty.

But if it’s the original battery I suspect it’s past it’s use by date :p
I'm not a car guy but wanted to give this a go myself, so I could learn how to do it and save a few bucks.
Here is a Link to a post which will point you to the VF workshop manual, download it and digest its info ;) It’s a difficult PDF to read but best done on a computer using Adobe free PDF reader with the chapter/bookmarks pane open on the left side of the window...

A workshop manual is the best tool a DIY home mechanic can have... along with common sense and a safety focus... just ask for advice and always be safety aware and use safety equipment... Never get under a car only supported by jacks as it can be fatal - use axle stands..

12mm or 13mm, doesn’t matter, get yourself a full socket set if you plan to learn a little and work on your own car.

Lastly, be cautious in Melboure, or is it now know as Racoon city, I hear a trip to Bunnings could cost you $1652 for breaching CHO directives :p:eek::p

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224