Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Evoke impressions

SilverVKberlina

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Evoke
Hi all,
I recently purchased a used Silver VF Evoke With 180,000 ks with full Holden service history for $10,900 from a local Holden dealer, once I saw the add I knew it wouldn't last long and was greeted at the car by another customer who was already looking at it for his 'brother' and was on his mobile sending back info on the car.
To cut a long story short I managed a test drive before the other bloke who was making up his mind but was told by the other salesman dealing with that guy "this guy was here first so if he puts a deposit down while you test drive it, it's his" anyway I ended up with the car after the other salesman walked in after their test drive and said congrats it's yours the other bloke was trying to get it for $9000, his loss.
My first car ever was a Silver VK Berlina, I drove the wheels off that thing!
Then graduated to a VL Berlina Turbo (both cars I wish I still had) and then years later got back into a commodore with a VE omega after the glowing recommendations of wheels motoring journalist Peter Robinson but was the one commodore I never loved AT ALL, I swear he either was paid by GM or had his rose coloured glasses on but that thing just plain sucked I remember driving down the shops one day thinking I wish this had the same Nissan engine as the vls 20 years ago! that engine sounded like a bloody tractor, anyway I'll give my comparisons in the coming weeks, but so far I can honestly say I would take the VF Evoke over any VE variant/engine type for sheer driving pleasure and comfort it's that good.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
I dunno about wanting an RB30E in a VE, I reckon asking 114kW to lug around 1600kg+ would be a Big Ask ... asking the RB30ET with 150kW to lug around 1600kg+ would also be a Big Ask!
:D

Enjoy your VF!

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
the evoke is decent enough for a daily driver it is not a "powerhouse" but it is not sluggish at all and if you jump into a sv6 from an evoke it is much the same.
the suspension is a little "floaty" compared to the other vf variants but overall the evoke makes a good daily and i would choose one over a ve if i was not looking for v8 variants.

as for the motoring journalist part of your post a lot of them are biased to the companies that pay to advertise with them so they are not going to do a bad review about a product from company that is a paying customer.

Last edited:

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
as for the motoring journalist part of your post a lot of them are biased to the companies that pay to advertise with them so they are not going to do a bad review about a product from company that is a paying customer.
I reckon that's a load of carp ... the real issue is that there aren't really any truly terrible cars any more.
Relatively speaking, yes, many are worse than others. But you don't see awful things written about NON advertisers, either; purely because the absolute worst car you can drive today is going to be better than a whole bunch of stuff which we'd all love to own (and would enjoy - but not because it's any good to drive as a daily! :)).

SilverVKberlina

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Evoke
I dunno about wanting an RB30E in a VE, I reckon asking 114kW to lug around 1600kg+ would be a Big Ask ... asking the RB30ET with 150kW to lug around 1600kg+ would also be a Big Ask!
:D

Enjoy your VF!
Hi Forg I meant to say that the Nissan engine was so refined compared to the 6 in the ve omega, to me it was unforgivable for such a harsh engine/ lack of work on refinment to be placed in a new car in 2006, I even remember being in a work mates Kingswood back in the day and saying to him how smooth the engine felt!

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
I reckon that's a load of carp

then unfortunately you just do not know how that industry works.
if you think for 1 second that a magazine like "wheels" or others would slam a product from a company that pays them to advertise that product then you are kidding yourself.

most of the time you will find that the "review" you are reading is called "native advertising" and it is paid for by the maker of the product in the review.;)

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
then unfortunately you just do not know how that industry works.
if you think for 1 second that a magazine like "wheels" or others would slam a product from a company that pays them to advertise that product then you are kidding yourself.
It's a Tinfoil Hat Cat thing.
And yes, I have worked in that industry (albeit a long time ago).

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
It's a Tinfoil Hat Cat thing.
And yes, I have worked in that industry (albeit a long time ago).

then you would know but it seems you actually believe that those advertorials are totally unbiased and uncensored.

unfortunately that is not how the advertising industry works but there is one thing they do incredibly well is fooling people into believing that the paid ad is real journalism and not an advertorial.

you can gladwrap your cat if you like and talk about the gas outside the door all day long but the simple fact is wheels and other companies like it only exist because of the advertising.
it is targeted at the correct consumer and that is big dollars and the people that own that company will not jeopardize that revenue by letting a easily replaceable journalist smear a paying customers product.

each to their own i guess mate :)

back to the topic i still believe the evoke is a better daily if you compare it to the ve omega or sv6 mine was a 2014 sedan and the only reason i traded it was because the ssv came up for 26k.
i once had a 2007 ve ssv and loved it so the vf ssv had my name on it :)

Last edited:

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
I tend to agree that motoring Journalists don't usually bite the hand that feeds but if a vehicle is that bad then you will quickly hear about it and what's the best way to find out about a car you're planning to buy, a forum like this of course as it chockers with first hand experience and owner's who are interested in their cars and happily talk about the pros and cons of them.

All new cars should be better then their predecessors otherwise what's the point of upgrading.

I even remember being in a work mates Kingswood back in the day and saying to him how smooth the engine felt!

What engine was transplanted in that Kingswood?

SilverVKberlina

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Evoke
I tend to agree that motoring Journalists don't usually bite the hand that feeds but if a vehicle is that bad then you will quickly hear about it and what's the best way to find out about a car you're planning to buy, a forum like this of course as it chockers with first hand experience and owner's who are interested in their cars and happily talk about the pros and cons of them.

All new cars should be better then their predecessors otherwise what's the point of upgrading.

What engine was transplanted in that Kingswood?

sadly the regular 186 in the Kingswood put the 6 in the VE omega to shame, all new models should be better in every aspect doesn't always happen though, just look at the VL vs VN.