Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Evoke impressions

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
I wish I could find one that needed lots of tlc.

Look on Carsales. $20K will get you a pretty good looking one. Not a bad price for a $2800 car when new. Piece of cake.:)

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Look on Carsales. $20K will get you a pretty good looking one. Not a bad price for a $2800 car when new. Piece of cake.:)
Wayyyyy more than I would spend. I want a wreck, not a rego'd car.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224

There should be a few around.
How are you with rust repairs?

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
OK so an HR is way cooler than a Craptiva or Cruze, and when choosing to drive (as opposed to commuting for example where you're only driving because you have to) I'd waaaay prefer to be driving the HR ... but can you name one metric where the Captiva & Cruze aren't better?
Not metrics, but:
Style
Note - (solids, lumpy fwee qwarter race cam, twin strommies, yella terra and a stwaight fwew sorst maaaate!)
Ability to turn heads.
As for the rest, let's all just agree that traveling around in todays traffic in HR wouldn't be the safest let alone easist thing to do. I'd choose the craptiva for that.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
There should be a few around.
How are you with rust repairs?
Quite competent. I've restored a number of cars over the years. I'd be looking at a bare shell starting point. The idea would be to fit the floor pan from a VT - VZ, if possible, permitting IRS, 4 wheel discs, floor mounted handbrake and 4L80, replacing engine with Ecotec. In other words, full Commo running gear. Never seen it done but it must have been done by somebody. It would have plenty of grunt being so light.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ

Go west, young man...……… you will see all sorts of things in small country towns.
In Eromanga, Qld last year I saw a Fordson tractor and a Ford Prefect ute, same as Dad had on our property when I was a little tacka. Both looked like they needed a wash and some fuel, then ready to go.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I'd expect the dimensional differences would be too great for that.
Probably right. I've not even done the most basic research to check the dimensions. Given that seating three abreast was normal for an HR, the width might not be very different. Lengthwise would be another matter altogether. It sure would make for an intriguing update.

BLACK-VE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SS, VE SS ute 360rwkws daily VE LPG
I'll give my comparisons in the coming weeks, but so far I can honestly say I would take the VF Evoke over any VE variant/engine type for sheer driving pleasure and comfort it's that good.

Enjoy the Evoke I assume a 3L not the 3.6 lpg engine, 3l is a bit gutless but does the job with those kms make sure the auto has been serviced.

Probably had the steering rack replaced but worth a check

Personally cant my brain to like VF steering feel not the same as the VE.