Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Evoke LPG vs Evoke 3.0 SIDI which is faster.

Piano player

Reaction score
Members Ride
xr6 turbo tuned to 300 rwkw's. VF SSV
I am looking at two VF Evokes (both wagons) next weekend, one is a sidi 3.0 and the other is the 3.6 LPG (I think it is still the old Alloytec motor) I cannot afford the SV6 with the 3.6 sidi (which would be my choice) so it's the Evoke model if I want a VF, and I do, I love them. But I hate slow underpowered cars and have heard some say the 3.0 sidi struggles, I have also heard that it isn't very economical either.

How does the LPG version compare with the 3.0 sidi for power and smoothness? Off the mark, overtaking, towing, etc. The 292 nm of torque from the sidi 3.0 is less than the old ecotec. The LPG version has 30 more nm but the sidi is direct injection. Is the 3.6 LPG Alloytec engine in the VF ok these days with timing chain issues, etc? I have had LPG cars for years now and love the fuel saving.

I know some will say to drive them both and see, which is pretty obvious, but test driving is somewhat subjective and very different to living with them from day to day, I also don't like pushing someone else's car too much, even if I am interested in buying it.

I also have a 300 rwkw Ford turbo, so anything short of a healthy V8 will feel slow to me. But in saying that, the VF wagon would be a daily driver, practical car, which the Turbo is not!

Last edited:

RossK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE11 SV6, VF LPG Evoke
I'm driving a Evoke LPG wagon as my daily and very happy with it. It has 10% more torque and only 10kw less than the 3.0L (which is at the top end anyway). I haven't driven a 3.0L, I'm an LPG fan from way back and didn't even consider the 3.0L
The 3.6l LPG has enough poke to keep me happy around town and on the highway. My wife has a VE series 2 SV6 and the Evoke is not quite as sharp, but you have to be on the loud pedal to notice.
I have other cars for fun, the Evoke LPG as a daily is IMHO a great choice for drivability and economy.
As for timing chains, do regular (not 15K Km) servicing with quality oil and filters and they shouldn't be an issue.
Cheers
Ross

abuch47

Reaction score
Members Ride
LSS3 YOOTE
I'm driving a Evoke LPG wagon as my daily and very happy with it. It has 10% more torque and only 10kw less than the 3.0L (which is at the top end anyway). I haven't driven a 3.0L, I'm an LPG fan from way back and didn't even consider the 3.0L
The 3.6l LPG has enough poke to keep me happy around town and on the highway. My wife has a VE series 2 SV6 and the Evoke is not quite as sharp, but you have to be on the loud pedal to notice.
I have other cars for fun, the Evoke LPG as a daily is IMHO a great choice for drivability and economy.
As for timing chains, do regular (not 15K Km) servicing with quality oil and filters and they shouldn't be an issue.
Cheers
Ross
What is its economy?

Piano player

Reaction score
Members Ride
My other concern with the 3.6 LPG Motor over the sidi 3.0 is that the sidi 3.0 being newer is the superior motor in reliability, smoothness and refinement. But I googled VF commodore 3.0 sidi 0-100 kph and got 9.4 secs, that's slower than an old VT ecotec, or it was a misprint, hopefully the latter! I have also seen 7.5 to 8 secs quoted for the 3.0 sidi which is fine as far as I'm concerned for what the car is and it's purpose. It's really overtaking speed that's more important I guess than the obligatory 0-100 lol. It is a pity that the Evoke sedan/wagon could not be optioned with the 3.6 sidi engine

Last edited:

RossK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE11 SV6, VF LPG Evoke
What is its economy?
I'm getting 10l/100km on a country run, and averaging around 14l/100 around town, average speed 50km/h. Sure, if I'm doing a lot of stop/start stuff it will see 18-20l/100km, but that's typically at an average of around 25km/h

Daily driving I doubt you would notice the difference between the 3.6 SIDI and the 3.6LPG, and I do have both.
The 3.6LPG is a very smooth unit, and has no issues overtaking at highway speeds. if you overtake without paying attention to speed, you are very quickly at a speed that will see you losing your licence.
Find one at a dealers and take it for a drive.

Piano player

Reaction score
Members Ride
"Daily driving I doubt you would notice the difference between the 3.6 SIDI and the 3.6LPG"

Is it the Sidi 3.6 or 3.0 you have? If it's the 3.6 Sidi as in SV6 I would have thought the Sidi 3.6 would be much more powerful than the Alloytec 3.6 LPG motor, even in plain daily driving. I could understand the LPG 3.6 being similar in performance to the 3.0 Sidi though (which is what I am trying to find out.) I will have to drive both and see. Thanks for the reply though :)

Sorry I just read your first post, you have an SV6 as well as the Evoke 3.6 lpg.

RossK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE11 SV6, VF LPG Evoke
Acceleration is all about torque.
Stats for the 3 variants
3.6 SIDI, 350NM @2800rpm
3.6LPG, 320NM @2000rpm
3.0 SIDI 290NM @2400rpm

The 3.6LPG produces maximum grunt, down low where you are typically driving.
In these car in every day driving, you are rarely above 3000rpm.

Piano player

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yes I know torque is the most important thing for acceleration, my xr6 turbo makes about 650 - 700 nm and holds it from 2000 to 4500 rpm while on boost. Low to midrange Torque is great for flexibility. I am looking at the LPG Evoke Tomorrow or Sunday.

Piano player

Reaction score
Members Ride
How can I tell if the timing chain is no good or on it's way out? Will it be noisy, or misfire, etc?

Piano player

Reaction score
Members Ride
I bought the LPG Evoke wagon, no powerhouse but drives nice with adequate torque and power :)