Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Evoke missfire (shudder) at idle and at 1500rpm

Milesvtcalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt calais
Hi all, putting this post up for my mum as I'm trying to do my best to not have her spend money at a mechanic. So story goes like this
Mums car (2014 Holden evoke sports wagon) has a 3.0 v6 so basically a lfx or an alloytec, about 10 months ago mums car developed a slight missfire at around 1500rpm and ran slightly rough at idle, over time this just continued to get worse and worse to the point where the car wasn't driveable, Sometimes it would idle smooth and them sometimes when you came to a stop it would drop to like 400rpm and the whole car would start shaking like a top fuel drag car. Ended up being a cracked spark plug... recently this problem has started again but its seemed to have gotten worse, it only used to do it when it was properly warm after maybe 30 mins of driving but now it does it when it's cold... runs fine when dry revving but if you hold it at 1500rpm you can feel a very faint vibration from the motor, then if you hold it in gear or even accelerate up a hill or a high stress area the car just shudders and misfires again, once you get past this rpm it feel completely normal and just turns into a happy well running v6 commodore. Engine light only came on once 10 months ago and hasn't came on since.
Does anyone have any suggestions on what I could be? I've checked the same spark plug and it's still brand new. Possibly a coil pack or a vaccume leak. Car has 120.000ks on it so it's not necessarily high considering dads alloytec has almost 300k and runs smooth as.
Thanks all
If you need any information please ask :)

Dave Nelson

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Commodore
Have you had any luck? Going through same thing, thinking spark plugs.

VECalaisV8Wagon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE CalaisV Wagon
Sounds like a Coilpack, if you can check the DTC's with a scanner it may show which cylinder.

Milesvtcalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt calais
Have you had any luck? Going through same thing, thinking spark plugs.
Hey mate ended up selling the car.
Ended up being extremely bad when put under load at a low rpm and turned out to be the torque converter
Happy new year :)

Jashan

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Evoke
Hi all, putting this post up for my mum as I'm trying to do my best to not have her spend money at a mechanic. So story goes like this
Mums car (2014 Holden evoke sports wagon) has a 3.0 v6 so basically a lfx or an alloytec, about 10 months ago mums car developed a slight missfire at around 1500rpm and ran slightly rough at idle, over time this just continued to get worse and worse to the point where the car wasn't driveable, Sometimes it would idle smooth and them sometimes when you came to a stop it would drop to like 400rpm and the whole car would start shaking like a top fuel drag car. Ended up being a cracked spark plug... recently this problem has started again but its seemed to have gotten worse, it only used to do it when it was properly warm after maybe 30 mins of driving but now it does it when it's cold... runs fine when dry revving but if you hold it at 1500rpm you can feel a very faint vibration from the motor, then if you hold it in gear or even accelerate up a hill or a high stress area the car just shudders and misfires again, once you get past this rpm it feel completely normal and just turns into a happy well running v6 commodore. Engine light only came on once 10 months ago and hasn't came on since.
Does anyone have any suggestions on what I could be? I've checked the same spark plug and it's still brand new. Possibly a coil pack or a vaccume leak. Car has 120.000ks on it so it's not necessarily high considering dads alloytec has almost 300k and runs smooth as.
Thanks all
If you need any information please ask :)

i bought my evoke at 88,000 Kms from a dealership and when driving at 1,500 -2,500 revvs the car made shuddering noise. I got it checked and the mechanic found the culprit to be a faulty torque converter and said its a big job and costs around $2k as they had to take the gear box etc out to fix it.

Fortunately i had the used car 90 day warranty so was fixed for free by the dealership.

Vorticey

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk, VF
Turned out to be the torque converter? how the hell is that related to a misfire?
Coil packs are more likely, maybe they just told you that to get the car cheep?

Commo64

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE Omega
The O.P probably got a professional diagnosis at the mechanics, so it probably wasn't so the "new owner would get the car cheap"

Also, O.P hasn't been here since 2021, so I doubt he will reply to you...

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Turned out to be the torque converter? how the hell is that related to a misfire?
Similar symptoms, not uncommon for cracks in VE V6 torque convertors.

Vorticey

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk, VF
What i ment to say was, if the converter is cracked, it would slip, not miss on cylinders?