Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Fuel lid will not release

AlexVF14

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF 2014 SV6
Hey guys, i got a 2014 sv6 and my fuel lid wont open, i can hear the mechanism lock and unlock behind the lid but no action when i push against it, ive tried WD40 with no luck.
What do you guys think?

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
The latch might be stuffed.
Try pushing it in and wiggling the lid and letting go over and over.

You might need holden to sort it out

AlexVF14

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF 2014 SV6
Yea its looking like that, ive been trying for ages now with no luck, cause some damage to the lid by how hard i pushed.

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
Can you access the release cable from inside the boot by removing the carpet on the quarterpanel?

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Had another thought try push it in and hold it in and use the remote to lock and unlock the doors then let it go.

When the doors lock it locks the lid so maybe thats jammed.

AlexVF14

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF 2014 SV6
Tried the other method also didnt work.

Last edited:

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
As Dayvo said you can access the mechanism from the inside.

The solenoid has possibly failed which has been a problem with Commodore fuel caps since Adam was a boy.

It's the reason you see a lot of Commodores without fuel caps because the owners get impatient and prise them off.

If so you have to purchase the solenoid and harness as one complete part.

After you remove the mounting screws it's just a simple plug and play but you need to access it from the inside of the panel in the boot if it's a sedan and from the tray if it's a Ute.

This is what one looks like.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Holden-...-HSV-Fuel-Flap-Release-Solenoid-/272640976953

s-l1600.jpg

AlexVF14

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF 2014 SV6
Easier said then done i cant seem to find a video on someone replacing one so having to wing it is making it difficult ive located the solenoid so going to figure out how to remove it now, also would it still be failing even tho i can hear the mechanism lock and unlock i feel as tho it should just open because i can hear everything working inside.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Easier said then done i cant seem to find a video on someone replacing one so having to wing it is making it difficult ive located the solenoid so going to figure out how to remove it now, also would it still be failing even tho i can hear the mechanism lock and unlock i feel as tho it should just open because i can hear everything working inside.

I've done them and they are a bit fiddly in a Ute but not hard.

Unbolt the mechanism, pull it out where you can see it but keep it plugged in and you'll see what's happening, the solenoid may be making a noise but not moving the locking pin.

I had one break the mechanism under the white plastic cover, there still was movement when I pressed the button but the pin didn't move.

AlexVF14

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF 2014 SV6
Ive located the solenoid but i cant find the bolts to undo them, my hands arnt long enough to reach back there.

Ive uploaded a photo of were im at now, could someone point my in the direction of the bolts i cant find them at all with my fingers.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20191031-230040_Video_Player[1].jpg
    Screenshot_20191031-230040_Video_Player[1].jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 389