Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vf future engines?

SPIEZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S2 SSV
So I am looking at purchasing a vf ssv redline and I am interested in waiting for possible engine updates in the future, the USA gets the same car with the 6.2 l99 I believe, if we get this at some point then it would be worth waiting for.

I guess I'm asking if anyone has any ideas what holden will do with the vf over its life cycle or should I just take the plunge now. I could hold out till 2015 but if I get a good deal on one now then I wouldn't be too sad still a great car as is.

Any thoughts? Cheers

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
I think one of the selling points to the target market is that the Chevy SS doesn't have the L99. It has an LS3 like our HSV without VVT or AFM.

SPIEZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S2 SSV
I thought the chev ss has the ls3 with vvt and afm, which becomes l99? I would prefer ls3 anyway but I don't think if they did give us the USA engine they would take off afm and vvt hardware for the manual car, would most likely be deactivated like they do currently? And active on auto

I want the manual version.

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Yes the VVT and AFM is only on auto for US domestic market, manual is LS3.
Whereas our HSV manual or auto is LS3. There's the rub, our HSV to them is a special import ready to go out of the box, old school hot rod stylee.
No matter auto or manual, in a VF the extra 60rwhp+ and torque monster available from VVT can be enabled (and on VE autos L76/L77) with a little mechanical work:
VVT/AFM cam and phaser, piston reliefs for PTV, L92 timing cover, adaptors to clear front dress, and exchange balancer. EFIlive can manage VVT / AFM tune for our GenIV 6.0.
Around $3500 all up, and definitely go much harder than a stock L99 or LS3 with your VVT L77 manual.
However Gen V Direct Injection is worth waiting for... LT1!

Last edited:

SPIEZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE S2 SSV
So do you think we will get the lt1 engine in vf series 2 ( or what ever they call the update) ?

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Seems a bit of a radical move for Holden at this stage of the game TBH, but I'd go back to prostitution and /or hock my left nut to buy a VF II with 345 NA factory-warranted kW.
Adding just 5psi from supercharger nets a cool 534rwkw and 957Nm. :yarr:
LT1 crate engine is US$10k plus shipping, uses different ECU so even after selling a slightly used L77 a DIY engine swap may be too expensive atm.