Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF GTS - fusion vehicle protection

spice weasel (BAM)

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F GTS
HI Guys

I've been a member for years and had many a holden, but over the last couple of years i've been a lurker, not really a poster.

Well I've taken the plunge and put a deposit on a VF GTS (Got a great price surprisingly) and they are now plugging the interior and exterior protection - They have told me 2k including a window tint and inside and out with lifetime warranty and none of this yearly reapplication requirement bullshit apparently. Now normally I tell them to piss off, however I'm spending a lot of money on this car and without being flamed I am notorious for not really cleaning my cars nearly as often as I should, so my question is, does anybody think its worth spending the money on? I have searched for other threads but given this car is so much more expensive I thought I would post and ask. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Tenpinrob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
Don't go the dealer applied protection. Arrange it yourself and you will get a superior Finnish and it will be cheaper. I went for opticoat. The preparation is the key. The guy spent all day on mine. Getting rid of the minor defects put onto the paint be the dealer detail.

The preparation is the the key and the dealer applied are not nearly as though. It will give a harder Finnish than the gel coat and I have other new cars, on one I didn't apply it and found that over a couple of years the swirl marks from normal cleaning where greater than cars I have had with protection.

tazdevil1964

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 SS Atomic Sportwagon
Just go to a reputable detailer and I agree with opti coat or something similar will certainly cost less then 2K...even getting the windows tinted dealers charge like 500 dollars and you can cheaper taking it to like solartint...dealers always have the good looking girls to convince you to pay 2k....not worth it and nothing has lifetime warranty. You have to use their products to clean the car and use anything else and the warranty is void.

vongy10

Reaction score
Members Ride
CV8 Monaro V2
Do not get lured into the Fusion protection like I did. $2k for them just to lightly 'detail' your car by an amateur that would be lucky to last a couple of months. Much better of getting a company of person to detail your car such as Carcareproducts, look at some of the detailed cars in the sponsors section.

spice weasel (BAM)

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F GTS
Ok, thanks for the quick responses. Sounds like its worth doing, just not with the dealer. I'll go back to them and say no thanks, I'm just a bit paranoid because I don't usually spend this much on a car but as soon as I drove it I had to have it, especially given they will be stopping production in a few years and id have to spend 180k to get similar performance and size of car.

Ian Johnston

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 Subaru Forester, XR6 turbo ute.
Dealers rip on these things real bad. My sister nearly got conned on that crap when she got her new car, $700 for tint, I got it done for $300.

spice weasel (BAM)

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F GTS
So I just called the dealer back and said no thanks - Not happy obviously, however I did have a further conversation about getting the windows tinted. He quoted $595 - Now I get the feeling that is a bit rich, however I'd rather get it done pre-deliver so that I don't take it to someone else and they think it might be fun to have a joy ride while they have the car for the day. Does anyone have any recommendation on the tint? They also said 35% is the legal limit on tint. Does that sound right and does 35% seem the best way to go?

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Opticoat is a fantastic product. But as said by others needs to be applied by a trained and authorised detailer / agent. I have a mate in the detailing industry who applies Opticoat and some of the results I've seen on cars with serious swirls and holograms are astounding. Do it. I've been quoted $600 but that's at mates rates.

I got good quality 32% tint on my Redline for $330. Great job too. 35% is the darkest legal, but I was told the 32% provides a darker tint than 35%, without all the ultra violet blocking benefits of say a 20%. Apparently all Police cars with tint are 20%? My only gripe with it is it's hard to see in the mirrors at night when reversing.
Enjoy the beast.

Heron SSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 NT Pajero Exceed, 1984 VK SL
Most dealers take it to a tinting shop up the road from them, so it's really no different from you taking it there directly, apart from the extra couple of hundred the dealer stacks on top of the price. You can get mobile tinters that can come to your house and do it if you're concerned about them cutting some hot laps while the have it

Trewman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV
As mentioned if the dealer organises the tint the bloke doing it generally doesn't even see the customer as he is a contractor to the dealer down the road. A mate of mine owns a tinting company he has done all of my cars over the years and my house. If you are in vic his website teppastinting.com.au Im only telling you because he does such a great job not because he is my mate and he also won't charge you anywhere near what the dealer would. He does a number of prestige high end cars too.