Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF hand brake issue

athol66

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
Hi, I have recently upgraded from an SV6 auto Ute to a Redline sedan (manual). I am really struggling with the hill start assist/hand brake. Not sure if I am just a lousy driver and I have searched this topic on here and not sure what I am doing wrong.
I stop on hill, apply hand brake and when I go to take off the bloody car rolls back, apply hand brake and try again, usually get it second time round (with some revs) and let the hand brake auto release.
Well I was parked in a carpark today and it took me three goes to get the car to take off and nearly hit the car behind as it rolled back a little on each attempt. I realise if you do not use the hand brake, but the foot brake it should hold, the owners manual did not really explain it.
Not sure if I release the hand brake manually if it will work better, maybe i need to practice it when no one is around to get it right.

Z31na

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VF Commodore Evoke
Hill start assist keeps foot breaking pressure up for up to 2 seconds after you release the foot brake on a hill.
I'd be getting the hand brake checked. Any manual car I've ever driven has had the ability to stay put on a hill with just the hand brake, clutch fully pushed in and no foot brake pressure. It then should just be a case of the VF having the smarts to automatically release the hand brake when the driver tries to move the car with the accelerator.
My vf is an auto though so I may be wrong about the above and if it is the case the handbrake is designed to disengage whenever theres resistance against the wheels I'd be screaming black and blue to Holden because thats a safety concern.

Last edited:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Check electronic park brake on a flat road. It should fully apply by pulling up on the park brake near your gear stick, every time. It should disengage when you touch your accelerator when the car is in drive or in gear, every time. It should also disengage when you push down on the park brake button, every time. Anything different would mean something is not working correctly so you should get your park brake serviced. Here is one thread related to EPB issues. The park brake should also work in the same way on hills.

As for hill start assist, not sure if it is an auto only feature or if it is also a feature in a manual, but if it is, it should work by keeping the hydraulic brakes applied for a second or so (via ABS system) as you transition from brake to accelerator whenever the system detects you are on a hill.

So +1 on what Z31na said...

When I used to drive manuals in much older cars, without such modern gizmos, I’d simply transition from brake to accelerator and coordinate the clutch release so that i wouldn’t roll back. With practice it was QED.

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
Can you drive a manual ? After a week or 2 you'll be right says the bloke that's only driven 1 manual vf for 30 or 40 ks, I did do a few hill starts didn't think about putting the handbrake on the reason I drove it was to get a handbrake error cleared we fixed nothing just cleared a logged error.
I ve never used the assist feature as my cars are too old to have that. Just let the clutch out and apply the accelerator as you do it.

3rspecB

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSv Redline, White Manual Sedan
Manuals do have hill hold assist. Press a little harder on the brake pedal when stationary on s hill and will hold for 2-4secs. Plenty of time to transition and take off. It doesn't apply on all hills though, so must use an angle sensor or something similar to work out when hill hold assist is needed.

kornchief313

Reaction score
Members Ride
holden commodore vs 1996
Is there any way to remove auto-hold brake feature?

Henry19720

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 MY15 Man Sedan, MY17 SSVR Man Sedan
My SV6 wouldn’t hold on a hill at one stage. Park brake needed adjustment. I think it was at around 70,000 km.

Isaac_bowey

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve sv6
Hi, I have recently upgraded from an SV6 auto Ute to a Redline sedan (manual). I am really struggling with the hill start assist/hand brake. Not sure if I am just a lousy driver and I have searched this topic on here and not sure what I am doing wrong.
I stop on hill, apply hand brake and when I go to take off the bloody car rolls back, apply hand brake and try again, usually get it second time round (with some revs) and let the hand brake auto release.
Well I was parked in a carpark today and it took me three goes to get the car to take off and nearly hit the car behind as it rolled back a little on each attempt. I realise if you do not use the hand brake, but the foot brake it should hold, the owners manual did not really explain it.
Not sure if I release the hand brake manually if it will work better, maybe i need to practice it when no one is around to get it right.
I’ve got a ve sv6 manual. The car just has enough torque that if I don’t use the handbrake and pull the clutch to the bite point it’ll roll up the hill. Should be the same for yours