Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF HID hi beam

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
You should be able to see safely and well with high quality legal halogens in the proper colour range, everyone else does, thats not opinion just common sense.

Absolutely spot on!

XUV

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV XUV & Raised Cross 8 Trayback
VF Calais V has fluid, sculptural halogen projector headlamps that are strikingly shaped and jewelled, with intricate internal layers, a light guide 'eyebrow', a hooded flash detail that runs down and over the projector and black bezel detailing.

......... Anastasia beckoned me, put that nightbreaker in me, gently I did , without touching the bulb, light up she did .....

An extract from the book 50 Shades of Lights

Loaded Dice

.... Lets roll.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12 SSV Redline
I actually think that the stock projectors on my SSV are the best factory headlights I have ever known / used. The high beam have great output IMO.

Having said that, i have a HID kit in the spot lights of my 4x4 with 8000K 35w globes, they are pencil focus and throw the usable light over 2km, I seem to have jagged it with the spots I put them in for the perfect focal length. So of course when I got the SSV I considered a conversion kit, but on reading into it it seems the biggest problem really is that the UV they produce kills the factory lenses, and given they 'aint cheap, I decided against it.

What I did do, is have the fog lights re wired to be spot lights that only come on with the high beam and used an ebay drop in replacement HID in them. No chance of damage, nor getting pinged by the coppers, and looks factory from the front with no external mod needed. A much better option for me, who does a lot of night country driving.

I have a Great White 12 LED light bar on my truck, it is almost equal in light output to the HIDs on my 4x4, I was considering installing one of these behind the bottom grill in the SSV, again would be largely unnoticed, but have massive forward light output, but really CBF when what I have now is doing the job well.

dgp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
I had HID's in my last two VE's (with projector lenses) and thought I would do the same with the VF Calais V but the headlights are the best factory Holden lights by a country mile. I believe they now use 65w globes instead of the previous 55w globes. I would like some Senator spotlights to replace the fog lights though as I do heaps of night driving.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
You should be able to see safely and well with high quality legal halogens in the proper colour range, everyone else does, thats not opinion just common sense.

True, but on the same hand, a car can perform well and safely within the legal limits without being modified... everyone else does. But we choose to modify our cars.

Krustyone

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VFII SSV Redline
Just for the record, I spoke of installing HID's into the HI-BEAMS due to the added visibility when driving country.
As with all forums, people feel the need to have their say regarding the legality, moral values, common sense and who is smart or dumb!!

I am not one of these ########s that have HID's in their reflector low beams driving through city streets blinding every poor bastard going about their daily business.

Its about the safety of me and my family that matters with respect to my fellow road users.

END RANT!

Reaction score
Members Ride
ya mum!
Its about the safety of me and my family that matters with respect to my fellow road users.

And you don't need HID high beams for it to be safe or have better vision. In fact as has already been mentioned, the delay when turning them on could have adverse safety implications.

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
That delay has never been a problem for me so far... Just saying. The only time its annoyed me is when im trying to warn oncoming drivers of a speed radars lol...m so I just let them find out for themselves now.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
And you don't need HID high beams for it to be safe or have better vision. In fact as has already been mentioned, the delay when turning them on could have adverse safety implications.

There is no 'delay' when turning them on. They turn on immediately, and vision is probably as good as a normal 55w halogen bulb before they've totally warmed up. Most reach full brightness within about 5 seconds anyway. If you then them off and back on within 60 seconds or so, they'll still be at full brightness because they're still warm.

When you're driving along country roads late at night with standard headlights, you'll always be wanting more light. I think you'll find HID's to be much safer in fact. Hid's WILL give better vision provided you use the right colour warmth and the correct lenses

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Regardless of legalities the HID won't be better than a halogen. You will not have a sharp, focused light pattern in a reflector. Scattered light won't help you see any better.