Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Holden Commodore Issues and Faults

Discussion in 'VF Holden Commodore (2013 - 2017)' started by Krustyone, Jun 21, 2013.

1. 13redlineVF

13redlineVF New Member

Members Ride:
    Vf redline
    Normal? Wow ok maybe for this model. That is a worry!

2. davey g-force

davey g-force I'm a sceptic...

Members Ride:
    02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
    I think the correct word is "common", not "normal".

3. Forg

Forg Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
    I've seen at least a couple of people around here complaining of this.
    Ask to get it fixed, and "it's normal" from the dealer doesn't cut it.

We had that, 70km (not 70000km) old car, 9 months since build-date. Replaced under warranty, new one looks a lot better.

I wouldn't worry about that, that is normal. The fronts are Fancy Shmancy so they've been painted & gloss-coated, the rears are generic so they're just ... dunno what they are, probably cast iron, but you'll find the fronts on everything without Brembos will look the same.
    This isn't going to be a warranty thing. Really only your two choices are to get the rears prepped & painted like the fronts (don't know how possible that would be on the car), or for a bit more cash, getting hold of some Cadillac CTS-V rear brakes (or some MY16 rear Brembos) and getting them painted plus getting the logo applied plus the clear-coat over the logo. Or I guess you could replace all 4 with the red MY16 ones.

4. 13redlineVF

13redlineVF New Member

Members Ride:
    Vf redline
    Thanks Forg much appreciated will speak to dealer today

5. shotter

shotter New Member

I was told they checked the movement of another VF's drivers seat and that had movement too but it was within the normal range of seat movement. I wasn't happy with that explanation.

6. crazybiker

crazybiker Member

Members Ride:
    VR Commodore V6
    Something I noticed yesterday when I popped the bonnet.

The top strut rubbers are getting chewed away and bits of rubber flakes are building up on strut towers, on a car that's a bit over a year old with 16,000km. I'm not particularly impressed with it!

7. Senator01

Senator01 Member

Members Ride:
    VZ 6.2
    Took my MY15 Redline in for 9mth service on the WE (11000kms on clock). Told them my drivers seat moves. They are sourcing a replacement seat base under warranty. Not happy that this happened as I thought they fixed the issue prior to the update release, however happy they are changing it no questions asked.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2015
  8. shotter

shotter New Member

I contacted Holden head office to make a complaint about the multiple issues with MP3 playback, A/C and GPS because the dealer service department just kept saying they were waiting on an update from Holden to be released. Apparently there is ment to be an update released in January but they couldn't say what that update would cover. Will be interesting to see if it actually fixes some of the ongoing issues.

9. Forg

Forg Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
    I hope the GPS includes red-light & speed camera warnings! :)

10. PeteJNR

PeteJNR New Member

Members Ride:
    vf
    Parking sensor issues!

I have a vf sv6 ute and lately have had issues with my front centre sensor It continually goes off with full red bar in the centre sensor on my dash but the left and right sensor are working fine.. I recently Took my car in for service and they said there was no issue and a day later it started again.
    Has anyone else had this issue or can recommend something I can do to fix the issue?

11. gmh4db

gmh4db New Member

Members Ride:
    VF CalaisV V8
    Split in vinyl armrest

After 45k km my Calais drivers armrest has a split in the vinyl covering. Car is garaged at home and undercover at work so doesn't see much sun.
    Anyone else have this problem?

12. SARRAS

SARRAS Active Member

Members Ride:
    2014 Commodore SSV Redline
    Holdens were amongst the very first cars to ever have UV-sturdy polymer locked vinyls - from the days of the Camira forward, so its unlikely to be sun damage. Is it possible its reacting to something you've applied to the vinyl - either as car care product or as rub-off from something like sunscreen? I agree its very odd in such a recent car at that mileage.

13. fuzzie

fuzzie New Member

Members Ride:
    VF Calais Sportwagon
    I've had a 2014 build MY15 VF Calais Sportwagon since June 15. It was a Holden executive car first registered Jan 15, resold at 4K, so essentially new.

I found the original Climate control just woeful. It took 10 minutes to show the correct outside temp in the morning and it would blow either full hot or full cold and not very consistently. At the 15k service they did an engineering update and the CC is now more livable but nothing like how I would consider a good CC to act. It is still inferior to the VS Berlina or Vectra climate controls I've previously owned. I'll be interested to see if they update it again if there is a Jan 16 software update. The automatic fan speed seems to be a joke, since you set that speed through a menu option :hmmm: . Whatever happened to blow fast when you get into a hot car and drop back the fan speed after it has cooled somewhat?

I have been driving a bit on dirt roads and have found there is a real dust leakage issue. I have tried closing the flow through and various combinations of climate control settings, all to no avail. I can't track down the cause, but think it must be the seal around the tailgate door, even with the soft close function thingy, supposedly closing things tight. Most dust seems to settle on the cargo space blind. Perhaps it is coming in through the rear air exit vents? I'd also be a lot happier if the climate control settings would stay on screen all the time rather than disappearing a few seconds after you change a setting. It is difficult to see at a quick glance to the console in daylight if the air is on recirc or not.

Just rotated the tyres. The rears are just about worn to the marker nibs at 21K of mostly highway driving. The Vectra did 75K on it's original Polish made Turanzas. I figure I'll be lucky to get 30K on these Thai Turanzas.

14. ryan101

ryan101 New Member

Members Ride:
    vx ss
    You might be getting all that dust coming from the cabin filter ( which is just a shitty mesh filter from factory) you can buy better paper filters that replace that

15. fuzzie

fuzzie New Member

Members Ride:
    VF Calais Sportwagon
    Thanks Ryan! I'll have a look at that.

16. SARRAS

SARRAS Active Member

Members Ride:
    2014 Commodore SSV Redline
    The unseen advantage of the paper filters is that they stop the internal components of the HVAC system (lots of little hinged flaps and electro servos) from getting dust all over them. Dust which then holds moisture which then causes corrosion... you get the picture. So yeah - the paper filters are a bargain insurance against long term HVAC problems.

On this issue: "Perhaps it is coming in through the rear air exit vents?" ARE they real vents? That is the query. On air conditioned cars, these 'flow through' vents are taped off or at the very least, flapped, as the air-conditioning system doesn't depend on flow through to cool the interior of the car, such as was the case in the '70s and 80's. Since all Commodores are air conditioned, I suspect they are dummy vents, or if they are flapped to allow air pressure out when closing the tailgate (another possible reason for their existence), then perhaps your car missed getting its flaps at the assembly point?

17. Aussie_Toyman

Aussie_Toyman New Member

Members Ride:
    VF SV6 Storm Wagon
    I'm with Fuzzie re the Climate Control, the temperature is not very stable at all. My Dualis does a way better job, and is what I would have expected from a +$40k car.

Not being able to turn off the A/C when in recycle mode is another strange thing.

18. Budgie Smuggler

Budgie Smuggler New Member

Members Ride:
    VE R8 Clubsport
    Issues with my 2014 VF CalaisV

Drivers seat movement (clicking when cornering)....Initially diagnosed as seat bolster loose...clips fitted..loose bolster fixed but seat movement and clicking when cornering still there..told it was normal...I told them it's not!!..they fitted new bushes somewhere in the mechanism..VIOLA!!..problem solved. I will look for the service report and post the bush part No.s if they are listed for those of you who are still having issues with your service centre.

I was driving home from work one day when I had only had the car for a short period..so naturally I had all the bells and whistles turned on including fwd collision alert... behold...not another car in sight at 6:00am Geelong bound..suddenly the red collision alert flashed up on the HUD, alarm sounded, cruise switched off and the speed of the car bled off quite quickly as if the brakes where applied..scared the crap out of me! Thankful no one was behind me too. I know the book says that the car "prepares the braking system for emergency braking" but I could have sworn it applied them...hence I don't use that system anymore.

19. Sir Les

Sir Les Active Member

Members Ride:
    VF Calais V V6 MY14
    I agree the fwd collision alert seems to be too sensitive and can go off for no apparent reason -- shadows, bends in the road, etc., as noted in the manual. I have no experience with this type of system in other cars (e.g. Mercedes Benz) so I can't compare. However, it does NOT actually apply the brakes, as the MB does. It closes the throttle and prepares the brakes for activation by closing the gap between pads and rotor, thus saving valuable milliseconds in an emergency. I will agree though that it can feel as though the brakes have been lightly applied.

When I was taking a demo drive (with my wife and the salesman) in the car I eventually bought, the system did activate at one point (justifiably) when I was approaching a set of traffic signals and looking at all the info on the dash, rather than paying enough attention to the road. I was grateful for it then! On balance, while the false alerts can be annoying, I keep the system turned on -- just in case.

20. Batca

Batca Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Vf ssv sportwagon
    With it been hot over here in the last couple of weeks have found the climate control/air con fairly ordinary