Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Holden Commodore Issues and Faults

Bhp Steel

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
holden
Yes.

Here's a big one.

My SSV-Redline Ute doesn't come with a spare, of any sort. Nor does it come with the hanging equipment to place a spare under the back, or any tools. It only comes with a foam and pump kit. To rub salt into the wound, to buy said gear from Holden spare parts will cost over $700, not including a tyre!

You are lucky...if it was the same lifting arrangement that the Ve SV6 Ute had.....it was a proper bastard to remove the wheel as it had safety latch attached to stop it falling off....you had to wind down the wheel....then you had tilt it up and pass the safety latch through the opening in the wheel...all from underneath the Ute....then you had to slide the tyre out from underneath....the wheel had to positioned face down when you reinstalled it....and reverse the above procedure....the wheel could not be installed face up because of the locking arrangement....this applies to my Ve Ute with the full size alloy wheel.....the wheel had to be reinstalled face down...I have a block of wood to put under the tyre to tilt it up....ever tried to lie on your back and tilt up a full size alloy and get the latch through the narrow centre hole. !@#$%^&*

Anyway does the SSV-Redline come with wider tyres at the back....probably GMH thought that they would have to supply 2 spares...one for the front....and one for the rear...I know that you can get space savers and steel rims....but there is nothing like having a full size alloy.

Having said all that get a full size wheel and tie it down in the back of the ute....and do away with the fly spray can...you will also need a good quality jack and wheel brace....not the GMH **** they supply or the scissors jack that Repco flog....good luck!

Last edited:

crazybiker

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore V6
You are lucky...if it was the same lifting arrangement that the Ve SV6 Ute had.....it was a proper bastard to remove the wheel as it had safety latch attached to stop it falling off....you had to wind down the wheel....then you had tilt it up and pass the safety latch through the opening in the wheel...all from underneath the Ute....then you had to slide the tyre out from underneath....the wheel had to positioned face down when you reinstalled it....and reverse the above procedure....the wheel could not be installed face up because of the locking arrangement....this applies to my Ve Ute with the full size alloy wheel.....the wheel had to be reinstalled face down...I have a block of wood to put under the tyre to tilt it up....ever tried to lie on your back and tilt up a full size alloy and get the latch through the narrow centre hole. !@#$%^&*

Anyway does the SSV-Redline come with wider tyres at the back....probably GMH thought that they would have to supply 2 spares...one for the front....and one for the rear...I know that you can get space savers and steel rims....but there is nothing like having a full size alloy.

Having said all that get a full size wheel and tie it down in the back of the ute....and do away with the fly spray can...you will also need a good quality jack and wheel brace....not the GMH **** they supply or the scissors jack that Repco flog....good luck!

That's certainly not an issue at all, in my opinion. Have to do the same thing to get the spare out of my landcruiser, and that's got a hell of a lot heavier tyre to drag out. Try doing that with a 33" mud tyre on a steel rim, in a mud bath. I'll take the SV6 any day. LOL.

As for the different size wheels, yes. The rear of the redline have a 275 wide tyre, the front are a 245.

up_and_under

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Commodore SSV MY14
Hi,
My VF SSV is only a few weeks old and has just clocked 2000K's. I had the car in today getting the windows tinted. This took around 1.5 HR's. About 10 mins before the guy finished he was attempting to roll down one of the windows and it wouldn't. Turns out that the battery must have been drained more than what it should. Had to get it jumpstarted WTH ... The car is usually driven daily including this morning 40km to work and the 10km to the tinter. This does not sound normal. Is it possible that the battery was never fully charged from perhaps sitting around for a couple of months? The car is August compliance plated and was delivered on 21/11/14

Cheers

Ponza

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk GroupA, VF SSV Redline
There is some post on here somewhere regarding battery life, that is why the accessories only stays on for 10 mins at a time due to the drain from all the electronics in the car. But do a search as it is explained a lot better in a thread. Regards Paul.

Davison

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16
Hi,
My VF SSV is only a few weeks old and has just clocked 2000K's. I had the car in today getting the windows tinted. This took around 1.5 HR's. About 10 mins before the guy finished he was attempting to roll down one of the windows and it wouldn't. Turns out that the battery must have been drained more than what it should. Had to get it jumpstarted WTH ... The car is usually driven daily including this morning 40km to work and the 10km to the tinter. This does not sound normal. Is it possible that the battery was never fully charged from perhaps sitting around for a couple of months? The car is August compliance plated and was delivered on 21/11/14

Cheers

Quite common to get a flat battery when being tinted. The tinters usually leave the ignition in the on or accessory position for over an hour which drains the battery. Last two cars I had tinted needed to be jumped.

sandman2010

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Ute
turns out my flat battery issue was due to the fog lights wired incorrectly.... i take it back to holden tomorrow to get it fixed.

GH05T

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Ute
vf will turn itself off from acc

splcrazy

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV GEN-F VF CLUBSPORT SV 340
vf will turn itself off from acc
im getting mine tinted soon . how do they do it when there's ignition key . mine is an vf gen f clubsport

revster

Reaction score
Members Ride
30th Anniversary HSV Senator (Gone) MY19 Golf R
im getting mine tinted soon . how do they do it when there's ignition key . mine is an vf gen f clubsport

Don't worry about it. It seems the issue was a wiring problem. My car has been tinted but imagine how many posts there would be if getting tint crashed your battery.