Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Holden Commodore Issues and Faults

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
My VY and VE were great cars.... ONCE the niggles were ironed out.

ATM the biggest niggle with the VF is that the heater is very ordinary. i.e. Setting the heater between 23 to 30 does not deliver the heat you would expect or similar to what I experienced from the VE.
I wont stress about until the first service.

Have heard that from others. From what I understand they have changed the heater unit to a Denzo (Toyota :eek:) item and isn't as good as the previous one (Air international??? - can't remember). If it's anything like to the one in my 200 series then I'm not surprised.

Positives (just for something different) :hmmm:

Remote start is great for frosty Melbourne mornings. (warms up very quickly)
Voice recognition is excellent. Even beats Siri on the iPhone :rolleyes:
Bose sound system is excellent even if the interface was developed by Panasonic.

What I think is missing IMO.

Blinkers on the mirrors.
HID headlights
LEDs in the blinkers/brake lights
Auto-dimming rear view mirror

I am surprised about the mirror repeaters and HID's (on the upper models) too.

Mecky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 Sportswagon
I'ts my first post here on this forum. I'm now the proud owner of a VF SV6 Sportswagon. As mentioned before, the heater is not so good. On a morning with 6 deg. outside I have to turn the temp up to at least 28 to get comfortable and the air on has to be off. On my previous car I could leave the aircon on and 24 deg. have been suffice.

What bothers me more is that the new car sales guy told me that I get defected if I leave the tow hitch attached and that is why I'm supposed to take it off. Further, if I attach the tow hitch it it automatically disables the park assist sensors.

Can anyone here confirm my tow hitch issue?

Thanks!

Cheers Mick

Btw. The first 200km have been a pleasure in this car!!!

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
I'ts my first post here on this forum. I'm now the proud owner of a VF SV6 Sportswagon. As mentioned before, the heater is not so good. On a morning with 6 deg. outside I have to turn the temp up to at least 28 to get comfortable and the air on has to be off. On my previous car I could leave the aircon on and 24 deg. have been suffice.

What bothers me more is that the new car sales guy told me that I get defected if I leave the tow hitch attached and that is why I'm supposed to take it off. Further, if I attach the tow hitch it it automatically disables the park assist sensors.

Can anyone here confirm my tow hitch issue?

Thanks!

Cheers Mick

Btw. The first 200km have been a pleasure in this car!!!

Salesman is an idiot, you wont get defected.

Plugging the trailer into the socket will disable rear sensors. The door in the socket has a magnetic switch in it.

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
Salesman is an idiot, you wont get defected.

Plugging the trailer into the socket will disable rear sensors. The door in the socket has a magnetic switch in it.

he quite possibly could get defected. leaving a hitch on is a danger(protruding object that can cause harm), and you can be fined for it if you dont have a trailer attatched.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Hitch is no different to a fixed towbar.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
Hitch is no different to a fixed towbar.
If it's removable, and you leave it attached, then you could have issues.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
he quite possibly could get defected. leaving a hitch on is a danger(protruding object that can cause harm), and you can be fined for it if you dont have a trailer attatched.

Yes you are correct but has anybody ever heard of it happening??? Certainly not a VF only specific problem and I dare say anybody who has had that defect would have had lots of other things going on at the same time.

Mecky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 Sportswagon
Thanks guys,

I'll put the hitch in on the weekend and see how the parking sensors behave. I reckon even if an accident happens and someone runs up my bum I cannot get all the blame. And any "part" blame will be better then the damage the car would have suffered without tow hitch. At least that is what I hope.... :)