Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Holden Commodore Issues and Faults

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
Guys i need to know if this is another GM quality issue.
so many paint defects on the car its not even funny.
is it me or is this a GM normal to have a slight over spray on the interior VIN Plate ?

That would not be normal as they place these on the car after painting process. Maybe your car has been resprayed?

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
That would not be normal as they place these on the car after painting process. Maybe your car has been resprayed?

yeah, probably a smash repair.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Guys i need to know if this is another GM quality issue.
so many paint defects on the car its not even funny.
is it me or is this a GM normal to have a slight over spray on the interior VIN Plate ?
Paint defects aren’t unheard of but usually it’s a small area and the repair is a quality job so you shouldn’t be able to tell it’s been done.

So I’d think your car has been damaged and repaired/resprayed at some stage rather than a factory paint QC issue.

Note that crash repairs can even occur to new cars, pre delivery, where shonky dealers may not say anything... If you bought it new, I’d go talk to a repair/paint shop and get their advice and a report if in their opinion it’s been repaired. Then if it has been repaired I’d take it up with the selling dealer.

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
Where there is damage in the engine bay that has mangled the metalwork to which the VIN plate is attached, it is normal for smash repairers to remove the VIN plate, or, if that too is mangled, seek authority for a replacement (identical details). I know this from when my VZ was bingled on the front left (2014), sufficient to crinkle the left hand (passenger side) guard and wheel arch. The repair itemisation stated authorisation for removal and replacement of the damaged VIN plate. There is no overspray on VFs in this (or any) area (where the VIN plate is). In the case of the OP, the car has been repaired and after patching the spray went a little over. I would have thought they'd cover the VIN plate to prevent that, but then I'm not involved in their trade. It does sound a bit clumsy.

I suggest the OP seek out a Vehicle History Report (insurers also track these) which will itemise any accidents and repairs it has been involved in. There is some cost in this, but it will possibly uncover some uncomfortable truths regards accident(s) and subsequent repairs.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
Where there is damage in the engine bay that has mangled the metalwork to which the VIN plate is attached, it is normal for smash repairers to remove the VIN plate, or, if that too is mangled, seek authority for a replacement (identical details). I know this from when my VZ was bingled on the front left (2014), sufficient to crinkle the left hand (passenger side) guard and wheel arch. The repair itemisation stated authorisation for removal and replacement of the damaged VIN plate. There is no overspray on VFs in this (or any) area (where the VIN plate is). In the case of the OP, the car has been repaired and after patching the spray went a little over. I would have thought they'd cover the VIN plate to prevent that, but then I'm not involved in their trade. It does sound a bit clumsy.

I suggest the OP seek out a Vehicle History Report (insurers also track these) which will itemise any accidents and repairs it has been involved in. There is some cost in this, but it will possibly uncover some uncomfortable truths regards accident(s) and subsequent repairs.

"normal"??

it'd be more normal to stick a bit of masking tape over it mate.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
"normal"??

it'd be more normal to stick a bit of masking tape over it mate.

@Big Red VF-SII Go-kart said " Where there is damage in the engine bay that has mangled the metalwork to which the VIN plate is attached "

Which would require more than just masking the plate.

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
@Big Red VF-SII Go-kart said " Where there is damage in the engine bay that has mangled the metalwork to which the VIN plate is attached "

Which would require more than just masking the plate.

true, if the panel needs a repair but even then just remove and use a couple rivets to pop it back on.