Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Holden SS Commodore Handling/Suspension upgrades

Jake Wilson

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sedan
Hey guys,

About to launch into the world of car modifications with few rotors and pads, intake and full engine back exhaust, with a tune of course.

Alongside this, I am also hoping to get a Kaaz differential in 3.75 or 3.9 - looking for some opinions there - and expected prices.

I bought my car 2nd hand running on aftermarket 18” rims with factory sports exhaust etc.

While I realise commodores are hardly renowned for their handling, etc., if there’s anything I do to help out power to the ground or just corner better let me know.

I fully understand the concept of coil overs and sway bars etc, but too many different opinions on how useful they are or what brand to go with.

Please Take pleasure in educating me haha.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
VE/VF has far better suspension design than Commos of yesteryear. Basic recipe is MCA or Shockworks coilovers, castor lock washers (castor rods too if the bushes are stuffed), rebush anything that's borked, run 19" or less wheels with a decent width and offset.

Would budget something like 2-2.5k for a Kaaz diff and diff gears supplied and fitted. Look at TrueTracs also. Be weary though that the Kaaz may act more like a locker for a while, it's been like this in other cars my friends have owned with Kaaz diffs.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
VE/VF has far better suspension design than Commos of yesteryear. Basic recipe is MCA or Shockworks coilovers, castor lock washers (castor rods too if the bushes are stuffed), rebush anything that's borked, run 19" or less wheels with a decent width and offset.

Would budget something like 2-2.5k for a Kaaz diff and diff gears supplied and fitted. Look at TrueTracs also. Be weary though that the Kaaz may act more like a locker for a while, it's been like this in other cars my friends have owned with Kaaz diffs.

I thought KAAZ made both full locking and semi locking diffs, or a least the last time I dealt with them they did.

One of my street cars has a full locker and you can live with it but the arse hopping around as you negotiate corners at intersections can become a pain.

Jake Wilson

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Sedan
Thanks for the advice guys.

I’m not overly concerned with the handling as it stands, but I’m progressively Increasing then power train and so on so wanted to see what people had to say about ensuring I can control the car and our power to the ground.

As far as I’ve heard There’s not too much need to touch the suspension, unless an issue arises, until the thing is at least cammed.

Also what’s the verdict between Harrop Truetrac versus Kaaz diffs? I know Kaaz the ducks nuts and much better, and you pay for it, but I’m wondering at what point it’s worth going the full way or if I’m keeping N/A then will a harrop suffice? On top of that I got quoted $4.5k for a supply and fitting of a Kaaz. Where are you getting those prices? I’m in SA btw

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
The true trac is an awesome unit mate couldn’t go wrong with it really even if you did go forced induction

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
I thought KAAZ made both full locking and semi locking diffs, or a least the last time I dealt with them they did.

They have 1.5 and 2 way diffs but from what I've been told by people who use them new there's zero slip and they're pretty rough, at least for the R200 version.

I’m not overly concerned with the handling as it stands, but I’m progressively Increasing then power train and so on so wanted to see what people had to say about ensuring I can control the car and our power to the ground.

As far as I’ve heard There’s not too much need to touch the suspension, unless an issue arises, until the thing is at least cammed.

On top of that I got quoted $4.5k for a supply and fitting of a Kaaz. Where are you getting those prices? I’m in SA btw

Centres: https://www.efihardware.com/products/c199/Holden__KAAZ-limited-slip-differentials
$1500 for the centre, $500-700ish (?) for the gears, $300ish (?) for labour. Just a guestimate, but at $4.5k it almost sounds like they don't want the work.

You shouldn't be looking at improving handling only in relation to power output. It's not like it's going to handle fine and then the day after you cam it the car will start handling differently or be any more difficult to drive. You can 100% have the same "control" issues at stock power. Ensuring you can control the car is completely up to your right foot and no amount of suspension will change that.

Having said that, the coilovers I mentioned before will make it corner substantially better.

Last edited: