Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF HVAC Dead?

RossK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE11 SV6, VF LPG Evoke
Hi guys,
need some help with a new to me 2014 VF Evoke Wagon LPG - Ex Telstra.
I picked it up at Auction and so far I've got 2 issues.
1. The whole climate control HVAC unit seems dead, no lights, no nothing.
I've checked rear, cabin and under bonnet fuses, all OK. I've tried pressing "Auto" to turn it on, nothing, disconnected battery for 30 mins, nothing. So now I'm stumped as to where to look next.

2. Both Lowbeams are not working, I'm hoping its blown both bulbs, but is that likely. Is it something to do with the allways on Telstra unit that gets fitted - where is that? The only odd thing I've found here is that the Relay that's supposed to be fitted in the under bonnet fuse box for the Low Beams is vacant - Position 55, or R14 from the owners handbook. The high beams work and the relay for that is there. Is this missing because its been pulled by some lowlife at the auction yard or is it due to the Telstra always on feature? I haven't pulled the globes yet, as they aren't easy to get to.

Thanks
Ross

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Unless GM/H has taken a design queue from the Apollo 13 command/luna module carbon monoxide filter debarkle, i’d think the high beam relay is interchangeable with the low beam relay.

Assuming high and low relays are the same, you could try taking the high beam relay out and placing it in the empty low beam position and then checking if your low beams work. If low beams then work, you know you need to buy another relay.... If they don’t work, you need to check the fuse and/or the globes and/or the wiring. Putting a relay in the low beam relay position should do no damage so is the easiest thing to try first.

If the high and low relays are not interchangeable, well shame on GM/H’s designers.

Last edited:

RossK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE11 SV6, VF LPG Evoke
Thanks Skylarking, the high and low beam are different relays, but the starter relay seems to fit, so I tried that, no joy. I had to work yesterday , so buying bulbs today and will try that, its usually the most obvious thing. BUt have you seen whats involved in changing a low beam bulb, shame on Holden. I love my Holdens, but even Ford put the FG's Low beams inboard so they accessible from under the bonnet.

HVAC has me stumped still, I checked all the fuses I could find related to the HVAC, all good.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Don’t know about the Telstra always on headlight feature but I’d think it would be the BMC that is coded for such a function (IIUC in the USA, people can buy “features” and have GM add the appropriate codes against the vehicle VIN within their database so dealers can flash what is needed).

But who knows, Telstra may simply jimmy the wiring. You could always ring and discuss what was done to the vehicle with the previous owner (telstra fleet?). Otherwise, possibly the dealer can advise and even check and reflash the BMC to standard. Worth asking either/both of them.

As for checking the low beams. If you have a multimeter you should be able to check the relay energiser pins within the engine fuse box work as intended. You should also be able to apply 12v directly to the pin going to the bulbs and have them light up. Doing such would check the wiring and globe more easily and without having to jack up the car and get to low beam via the wheel well. Usually the relay itself have the pin functions listed so you can use that as a guide to which pin within the fuse block does what function.

If you are unfamiliar with headlight relays, google can help but below is a brief but boring outline (only looked at first minutes but you can search for better)

As to HVAC, who knows. Maybe someone fiddled with vehicle wiring and botched things up or didn’t reconnect correctly. Does it all look unmolested and standard?

RossK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE11 SV6, VF LPG Evoke
Headlights working, it was just globes, phew.

Interior looks unmolested, its getting power to the Hazard switch and the light under the heater controls, both of which get their power from the HVAC control panel, so its getting power to the panel.
I may end up at the Auto sparkie down the road, who's pretty reasonable and get him to have a look for me.
Thanks for the advice so far.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
It’s rather odd for two globes to die at the same time but problem solved which is good.

Not sure how many connectors are at the back of the HVAC faceplate/module but maybe some plug is not pushed in well. You can look at the VF workshop manual and see what plugs are involved and how difficult it is to pull the front faceplates so you can check the wiring.

(Edited to add that a link to the manual was previously provided by @stooge in post #2).

RossK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE11 SV6, VF LPG Evoke
Pulled the facias off and pulled the HVAC control panel out, all plugged in well and seems OK.
So I"m guessing that its either a dodgy connection somewhere in the harness or a BCM issue.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Within out VF’s, HVAC seems a complex beast to work with and the convoluted nature of the workshop manual doesn’t help in quickly gaining a fuller understanding of all the components and their interrelationships.

But there are HVAC specific DTC you should first check for. Maybe a wifi/by OBD plugin tool can see such DTC’s maybe not, I’m not sure.

You should also check communications with the HVAC module which I think requires Holden specific tools or manufacture specific OBD tools that are more capable than the wifi/bt modules we play with o_O

Maybe you can also check the HVAC control module which I think is under the glove box and ensure connectors are plugged in as you’ve already checked the HVAC control dial plugs. Then look at and check all fuses.

Other than that it will require a trip to Holden service department.

I’ve only briefly scanned the workshop manual and haven’t found a good overview of the wiring and associated modules yet so can’t offer any more help.

Good luck with it.

RossK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE11 SV6, VF LPG Evoke
Thanks, I have the workshop manual, and yes, not much help, but it did identify a couple of extra fuses worth checking, but to no avail.
HVAC module appears OK.
It's now at a trusted Auto Elec. My mechanic (that I occasionally use) said it was beyond him and to try the auto elec first, Holden last resort.
I will report back when I here from them.