Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF HVAC design fault. Put up with it?

Batca

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf ssv sportwagon
This is pretty much the only issue I have with my car as well. Have mentioned it at services, the guys just say it's normal.
Compared to the climate control in the wife's Mazda its atrocious.
I'm going to give it one more summer and if it pisses me off as much as it did last year could be enough to sell it.
It's a shame because I love the car otherwise but won't sit in a 40k car sweating from crap air con.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
It'd be great to know the individual circumstances which are causing things like sitting in a 40k car sweating from bad aircon; because we never had that. We had cold air when we didn't want it, something you'd expect from an 80's luxo-brand analogue system, but it's always been ice cold when we wanted ice cold.

Mike Litherous

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE ssv
I had an ex Holden designer work for me in between projects a few years ago. He has a vf ssv and stated the climate control is crap compared to the VE models. The whole problem is some engineer thought it would be clever to delete the outdoor temperature sensor which the VE had and replace it with some fancy algorithms that in practice are not successful.

I guess this is why there is no fix. Probably the best way is to manually operate the fan and use exadurared settings say 28 for heating and 16 for cooling. Running a low fan speed for heating at least will modulate the severity of the heat while still keeping the climate control heating. Nothing worse than a face full of cold air on a cold day I guess.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
The whole problem is some engineer thought it would be clever to delete the outdoor temperature sensor which the VE had and replace it with some fancy algorithms that in practice are not successful.

Even the VZ Monaro had an inside/outside temp button on Air Con. Press it it would show cabin temp and press it again and it would show outside temp.
NOW!!! sometimes when disconnecting the battery and interconnection the battery (possibly caused by arching the battery Terminals) the Outside temp would read -40 De C in Summer thus you could not successfully cool the car in Summer and in winter it would do the same at the other end it would show +40 degrees and when you try to heat the cabin up the air con would struggle to do this. To fix this issue all you had to do was disconnect the Battery for 30 seconds and then reconnect the battery in one motion and after you do this the first thing you do is you press the In/outside Air temp button and when It shows the Approx real temp the Air Con will be OK.

For the VF GM tried to save a dollar but they created a nightmare.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
Yes VN Calais did

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
I had an ex Holden designer work for me in between projects a few years ago. He has a vf ssv and stated the climate control is crap compared to the VE models. The whole problem is some engineer thought it would be clever to delete the outdoor temperature sensor which the VE had and replace it with some fancy algorithms that in practice are not successful. .

There is a temperature sensor listed for the VF. Part No 25775833 Sensor, AMBIENT AIR TEMP. This is how the display outside temperature works. Air temp and the sun sensor determines on the fan speed.

There is also a fan speed setting adjustable on the radio. In winter set auto fan to min and then in summer have it set to max. This makes a difference. The VF fan is not set to blow very fast with AC on. If you turn the AC button off, the fan actually gets faster. Very bad design fault. You need to use the fan manually on very hot days or turn the temp down to 'C'

My VE was much better. Set and forget. Maybe on a very hot day I would change it but it was good all the time. This thing is just crap!

tranquilized

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V 6.0l
I'm considering myself very lucky - my August 2014 build Calais HVAC is almost perfect. Sure, I can't close any of the vents cause that'll cause the whole system go haywire, but I just have it set on 21 or 22 degrees, full auto mode, and rarely have to touch it. What everyone else is talking about sounds like a nightmare!

And yes, VN Calais was the first with auto climate control, just as the EA Fairmont Ghia was first for Ford Aus.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
I'm considering myself very lucky - my August 2014 build Calais HVAC is almost perfect. Sure, I can't close any of the vents cause that'll cause the whole system go haywire, but I just have it set on 21 or 22 degrees, full auto mode, and rarely have to touch it. What everyone else is talking about sounds like a nightmare!

And yes, VN Calais was the first with auto climate control, just as the EA Fairmont Ghia was first for Ford Aus.

Are you sure is is cool enough in summer? It doesn't seem to blow enough air on hot days!

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Are you sure is is cool enough in summer? It doesn't seem to blow enough air on hot days!
You're in Melbourne? Our Redline was fine in Sydney weather over summer.

tranquilized

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V 6.0l

We suffered through weeks of 40+ degree days last summer here in central Vic, it was perfect. I'd regularly remote start and always hop into a nice pre-chilled cabin, set on 20 - 21.