Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF II Sportswagon - SSV or Redline?

atomic_ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sportwagon S2
Hi all,

I recently and regretfully parted ways with my 2009 VE SV6 ute. Despite it only having 17,500km on the clock, the arrival of my daughter in September of last year has prompted me to consider something more "family friendly".

Happy with my VE, I'm subsequently considering a VF II Sportswagon - this time in the V8 variety (I figure it will have better resale value down the line.)

My question is, should I be considering the SSV or the Redline? My max budget is $60k (with some options), so the latter probably isn't an option. The wagon from my understanding misses out on the sunroof and the BOSE sound system - yet still has a premium.

That said, I encountered the following on CarSales
2016 Holden Commodore SS V Redline VF Series II Auto MY16

So thoughts? Is the Redline worth it over the SSV. What are realistic prices I should be looking at?

Thanks in advance.

Chookah

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline Wagon
In March I picked up my Redline Wagon (MY16) for $58K with a few extras (boot lining, black side vents, redline door sill plates, floormats).
Tinting & paint was done elsewhere.

In your link the build date is Sep '15. Someone will correct me if i'm wrong but I think that was the very first run of VF2's.
Mine was Dec '15

Maloo37

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais, VF2 SSVR UTE
Mate go the Redline I too was looking at getting a SSV ute and in the end I got abetter deal buying a Redline. I got the dealer to drop 4k off the price plus blackout tow package drive away 52k only down side I waited 98days for the car but happy I went the Redline.
That price is good for the wagon you should be able to get them to drop 2k off that price minimum just play hard ball and shop around the dealerships want to sell MY16 asap to make room for MY17. Buy around the end of the month just before they need to get the sale figures in :))

Last edited:

atomic_ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sportwagon S2
I got the dealer to drop 4k off the price plus blackout tow package drive away 52k only down side I waited 98days for the car but happy I went the Redline.

Wow - if I could get that pricing I'd be very happy. Seriously though - that's like $10K off the RRP on Holden's build calculator. Where do you start negotiating without the dealer thinking you're a total numpty?

No issues with waiting - happy to be a one car family for the time being. With the MY17 released in October/November should I see some decent deals on older stock. Or would I be better to wait until January 17 and pick up a MY17?

bradles024

Reaction score
Members Ride
BA XR8
It depends on the driving you will be doing. If you like driving hard go the redline if not I would get the ssv. Series two ssv are quite good with the heads up display etc.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Wow - if I could get that pricing I'd be very happy. Seriously though - that's like $10K off the RRP on Holden's build calculator. Where do you start negotiating without the dealer thinking you're a total numpty?

No issues with waiting - happy to be a one car family for the time being. With the MY17 released in October/November should I see some decent deals on older stock. Or would I be better to wait until January 17 and pick up a MY17?
He bought a ute, that's why he's paid that much less than RRP on the wagon. :)

You should be able to get a 2016-built Redline for <$60k, especially as people have started waiting for the 'last ever' 2017 models. You might even bargain-in a set of the HF20 alloys.

Is it worth the money? Depends, will you ever push it hard enough to use the bigger brakes? Will you appreciate the suspension? In terms of 'stuff of value', they're about the only real differences. I think it's harder to justify Redline in VF2, now HUD is included in SSV.

As for waiting until 2017 and getting a 2017-build car; I personally doubt the extra money you'd pay will be worth whatever equipment they stick an an SSV ... you won't get a 2017-build Redline, buying in January, for <=$60k.

Super Coach

GTS, S, CV8Z, SSVR
Reaction score
Members Ride
GTS, S PAK, CV8Z, SSVR, CALAIS V, MSE
I think the Redline is worth it in the Sedan I just ordered mine and got $9k off RRP so am paying in the low 50's driveaway with $5k worth of factory options. Getting Redline in the other body styles only gives you the bigger brakes, and the forward collision alert. As you miss out on the Bose and Sunroof

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
^ Don't forget suspension.
And that collision-alert thingy isn't worth having IMHO.

Super Coach

GTS, S, CV8Z, SSVR
Reaction score
Members Ride
GTS, S PAK, CV8Z, SSVR, CALAIS V, MSE
^ Don't forget suspension.
And that collision-alert thingy isn't worth having IMHO.

isnt FE3 Standard on all Redline Sedan, Ute Wagon?

rouseabout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series 2 SV6 in Red Hot, waiting for my VF11 SS
So the test drive on Saturday got you over the line then? Was nice to hear the rumble past my house!