Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF II Sportswagon - SSV or Redline?

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
isnt FE3 Standard on all Redline Sedan, Ute Wagon?
I think I see what you're saying, but I don't think you said what you thought you said.

Incontheivable!
:)

cdr8

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VF Maloo R8
After having a VFII redline wagon for a little over a month now, I can comment that I love having the Brembo brakes compared to my old VESSV which were very average to say the least. The most disappointing aspect would be that the Redline wagons miss out on the Bose sound systems that the sedans get. The sound system on the redline wagon (which is just the standard unit) is crap compared to my old VE SSV.

Super Coach

GTS, S, CV8Z, SSVR
Reaction score
Members Ride
GTS, S PAK, CV8Z, SSVR, CALAIS V, MSE
After having a VFII redline wagon for a little over a month now, I can comment that I love having the Brembo brakes compared to my old VESSV which were very average to say the least. The most disappointing aspect would be that the Redline wagons miss out on the Bose sound systems that the sedans get. The sound system on the redline wagon (which is just the standard unit) is crap compared to my old VE SSV.

so then worth getting the SSV Wagon and ticking the optional upgraded police brakes

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
^ I'd test-drive a car with them before committing to that approach, if braking was truly an issue on the VE; I thought those who'd tried them around here (eg. timandhayley?) said there was a slight difference but not a lot? Brembos will have much better staying-power, if the car's getting driven in such a way that the standard brakes are suffering.

jbcow

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 redline sportwagon
Like everyone says, it depends on how you drive it. I have have the VFII redline sportwagon as well. As a driver's car it's great. But I feel I get value from it because I do seek out empty twisting back roads and give it a hard time. The brakes stand up to repeated hard use very well. And the suspension tune is genuinely impressive. If you are going to drive like that, get the Redline. I also got mine for 58.5k (with towbar and some other bits) so you should be able to get it in budget.
If not buying for at-the-limit performance consider also the calais option. More luxury for the same price.

atomic_ute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sportwagon S2
Like everyone says, it depends on how you drive it. I have have the VFII redline sportwagon as well. As a driver's car it's great. But I feel I get value from it because I do seek out empty twisting back roads and give it a hard time.

Really appreciate the feedback thus far. One of the issues I've encountered is tracking down a SSV/SSVR demo Sportswagon around in Brisbane to be able to test drive. I expect that the wagon will handle differently to the sedan and as one of the selling points of the SSV is the suspension, I'd like to try it out.

The Brembos and flappy-paddles as standard are definitely the selling points for me for the SSVR and it seems to be achievable under the $60K mark.

Jarp

Surely You Jest
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV A6 W375
Go the SSV...take the police brake and flappy paddle options. Spend your change on exhaust, otr and a tune. What you lack in braking performance when racing the family truckster you'll make up with a tad more hp and grin factor.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Really appreciate the feedback thus far. One of the issues I've encountered is tracking down a SSV/SSVR demo Sportswagon around in Brisbane to be able to test drive. I expect that the wagon will handle differently to the sedan and as one of the selling points of the SSV is the suspension, I'd like to try it out.
We compared our 2014 wagon to a base SS sedan; note that the suspension has been improved for Redline since then. We thought the handling difference was quite noticeable, without even needing to push hard; eg. going around a roundabout, the Redline didn't seem to understeer quite as much, and settled itself down noticeably more quickly after a patch of road with those flowing waves in the asphalt caused by too many b-doubles full of dirt. The SS was still a comfortable car though.

Regarding Brembos and flappy-paddles ... well the flappy-paddles are only a <$600 option, and if the suspension doesn't do that much for you, you might look at what it costs for Brembo upgrade kits; I'm sure I've seen the Cadillac CTS-V brake upgrade kits online (which would need you to fit staggered HF20's I suspect) for ~$3500.

Mr Majic

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF 6.2 S2 Redline A6
Hi all,

Whilst this is an old post, here's my 5 cents worth. After selling my 2004 VY SS Wagon I decided to buy the a 2016 VF II SSV Redline Wagon in Nitrate. 38K on the clock and love it. Handles brilliantly.
Does anyone know the number of VF II Redline wagons that were made?