Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF II SS cabin air filter

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Just quick tip after i Installed cabin air filter today.

I saw a few threads where people are completely removing plastic cover and rubber seal etc.on VF II.

I simply removed all plastic scrivets, lifted the plastic enough to get my hand in and reach the filter and pulled old plastic mesh filter out.

I then used genuine filter twisted it as per instruction in the box, inserted bottom section first and slowly pushed in the top of the filter.

I used good LED light to see in there well and make sure it is in properly.

It basically took 5-10 min to do.

So yeah...just confirmation it can be done without disassembly. The plastic is quite flexible and will not break when the front section is lifted 15-20cm ..

Last edited:

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
Just quick tip after i Installed cabin air filter today.

I saw a few threds where people are completely removing plastic cover and rubber seal etc.on VF II.

I simply removed all plastic scrivets, lifted the plastic enough to get my hand in and reach the filter and pulled old plastic mesh filter out.

I then used genuine filter twisted it as per instruction in the box, inserted bottom section first and slowly pushed in the top of the filter.

I used good LED light to see in there well and make sure it is in properly.

It basically took 5-10 min to do.

So yeah...just confirmation it can be done without disassembly. The plastic is quite flexible and will not break when the front section is lifted 15-20cm ..

I found there was no need to remove all scrivets. I just took out the five surrounding the 'cover' section and one more to the right. But otherwise exactly the same as your experience :)

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
I found there was no need to remove all scrivets. I just took out the five surrounding the 'cover' section and one more to the right. But otherwise exactly the same as your experience :)

That's true. Last 2-3 scrivets can stay. It just allowed me to lift the lid more and not to damage plastic....

KT11H

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline Ute
Replaced the standard "flyscreen" with AC Delco paper pollen filter today, not as easy as shown on YouTube on the older models but managed to do it in 15 minutes after few scratches on the hands with the tight access. Kept the standard "flyscreen" for spare, just in case. The paper pollen filter is a bit fragile though. Probably have to go through the same process next year to replace it.

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Regarding ease and frequency of HEPA filter replacement, forget the fluted paper crap. That’s expensive, clunky and ineffective.
Whether in the sub tropics, desert, garaged or high country there is no argument. Like wearing (sharing) same filthy paper respiratory mask all through flu season coz GM spec. Think about it, paper through Holden service costs 10x more than professional HVAC installer grade antibacterial media. Makes sense to use pro media more often for less money.
Take a look at 3-6 months driving with a proper filter working to keep out diesel particulates and soot in bushfire season, pollen and pollutants blown on westerlies at Ekka time. Paper is not just ineffective but easily becomes a mouldy fungus ridden health risk.
Then take a look at the flow specs for hospital clean room grade tackified fibreglass microbial filter media.
If you spend a decent amount of time in the confines of the cabin and are serious about indoor air quality and your health, FFS stop pfaffing around with the paper cartridge.

Attachments

• File 24-7-17, 5 00 31 am.pdf
    339.6 KB · Views: 568
Last edited:

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
You c
Regarding ease and frequency of HEPA filter replacement, forget the fluted paper crap. That’s expensive, clunky and ineffective.
Whether in the sub tropics, desert, garaged or high country there is no argument. Like wearing (sharing) same filthy paper respiratory mask all through flu season coz GM spec. Think about it, paper through Holden service costs 10x more than professional HVAC installer grade antibacterial media. Makes sense to use pro media more often for less money.
Take a look at 3-6 months driving with a proper filter working to keep out diesel particulates and soot in bushfire season, pollen and pollutants blown on westerlies at Ekka time. Paper is not just ineffective but easily becomes a mouldy fungus ridden health risk.
Then take a look at the flow specs for hospital clean room grade tackified fibreglass microbial filter media.
If you spend a decent amount of time in the confines of the cabin and are serious about indoor air quality and your health, FFS stop pfaffing around with the paper cartridge.

That install looks dodgy as bruv :)
It looks like you shoved a cushion in there...

How about using the original plastic mesh and then cutting the material to size and securing it with zip locks or something ?

Too busy getting pissed or something :)

Where do you buy that stuff from ?

Last edited:

SSV 407

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
Any chance you could tell me where you can get these HEPA filters please.

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
You c

That install looks dodgy as bruv :)
It looks like you shove cushion in there...

How about using the original plastic mesh and then cutting the material to size and securing it with zip locks or something ?

Too busy getting pissed or something :)

Where do you buy that stuff from ?

Any chance you could tell me where you can get these HEPA filters please.

Avast you can get them from me for $15ea p&h inc. (min 3x).
Else a roll that will last a lifetime is $99 + p&h.

SuckSqueezeBangBlow

Reaction score
Members Ride
Heroin White VF2 SS Wagon
Avast you can get them from me for $15ea p&h inc. (min 3x).
Else a roll that will last a lifetime is $99 + p&h.
How much to post to nsw 2074 please?

KT11H

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline Ute
Wondering why don't any company makes aftermarket HEPA filter to suit commodore? Basically they are the same shape and size for VE and VF models.