Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF II SS cabin air filter

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Sounds like Skylarking just likes the sound of his own voice. You struggled with the simplest of tasks, ignored multiple people telling you an easier way then have the nerve to say I cut corners? Maybe go play elsewhere where people have the patience for your mundane posts.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
@RiCeY I was wondering if you have the Holden instructions on how to replace the cabin filter in the VF? I’ve only seen the instructions for the VE which come with the filter.

Pretty much the same, remove scrivets on pass side plenum cover and you have access.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
If you wanna make comparisons compare apples with apples bruv

Air filter will hardly cause catastrophic accident with the driver sucked out of the cabin at 30000 meters in the sky
The comment was related to the mindset when someone thinks experience always trumps documented processes. It’s only the consequences that are different between motor vehicle and air craft. I think we can all understand that.

And to make the point, I relayed me experience with my Mada engine pulley bolt recall. A situation where the potential consequence could have been a bolt hitting my eye if my head was more to the left when the bonnet was up. Potentially it could have been a lost. Those Mazda mechanics that seemed to be unable to folow the recall worksheet were negligent in their actions. I chose not to take any action and never went back.

But lets ignore such trivialities as cars are not planes...

In my mind, if a serveice procedure was inefficient, the would be some process to capture such issues. As such the manufacture would re-evaluated the procedure after input from their workshops keeping in mind that GMH would be an ISO9000 certified organisation so such ‘improvements’ should be part of their culture.

Going through this process, to do a simple filter change, now has me wondering what is needed when more complex servicing is required at the dealer and how many corners may be taken because of poor Holden design choices and dealer initiated improved service efficiency.

Odd responses indeed.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pretty much the same, remove scrivets on pass side plenum cover and you have access.
That’s not the process defined within the VF service manual on this site.

Care to post some snaps from the Holden system if possible?

Poor old Dad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Calais V
That’s not the process defined within the VF service manual on this site.

Care to post some snaps from the Holden system if possible?

I don't understand your persistence with this?

I get that not everyone is the same and some people are governed by procedure. I don't have an issue with that.

Where it becomes somewhat tedious is when you labour your point of view.

You've had your say.

We all get it.

How about just letting it go?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
I don't understand your persistence with this?

I get that not everyone is the same and some people are governed by procedure. I don't have an issue with that.

Where it becomes somewhat tedious is when you labour your point of view.

You've had your say.

We all get it.

How about just letting it go?
Guess i’m just curious what the current Holden system defines as the procedure for cabin filter change and why people will always cut corners regardless of what the correct procedure is, then defend it with because or you’ve been told.

In this case it’s not an issue as it’s a trivial process whichever way it’s done. But there have been too many comments indicating I’m doing it all wrong with no justification as to why... do you guys really care even if I spend an extra hour doing this task if that’s the way I want to do it... because it’s the only seemingly accurate procedure I’ve found?

The fact the Holden workshop manual available on this site partly indicates the procedure but doesn’t clarify it well enough so parts are not damaged seems to be lost on most. or an acceptance that manybe Holden designed things poorly.

Others may be interested to see or read how I did my cabin filter change but even telling of the trivial problems I had, I get comments how I broke things.

I thought the purpose of the forum was for information exchange and point of view exchange. Yet I seem to have said too much and ‘had my say’ and ‘put it to rest’.

It’s an odd thread indeed and yet their are still some having issues and want more information.

But I’ve said too much.

Maybe we should all put this to rest.

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
There was certainly no raw nerve hit on my end mate. As I said, your car, do with it as you please. The way you've done it is probably a good way to educate yourself that the 'official correct' way isn't always the best way.

I'm no mechanic and I don't profess to be. I'm just an average bloke who has done this job a few times without coming close to breaking or damaging anything, and without removing parts of the car I didnt need to. I don't see how pulling wipers off, separating foam and tearing seals is better simply because that's what the book says to do, when a bit of observation of the mechanics of it shows that there is a simpler and less risky way.

And I'm not sure what was holding your screen in, but mine have all come away by simply grabbing it with fingers. There's nothing else holding them in except the friction of it against the sides of the opening.

Anyway, as I said, if you're happy with the process and the end result that's all that really matters. But when you post on a forum looking for advice, expect some differing opinions, doesn't make us (or you) right or wrong ;)

(Edit - posted this before I read last page re putting it all to rest, sorry. No more posts from me on this matter)

Last edited:

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
So much bullshit in the last couple of pages of this topic for something that is a plain and simple job. Blaming a poorly written document as reason for not being able to complete a task where the obvious intent becomes clear much sooner is like those blithering idiots who drive their cars into a river and then have the audacity to sook because it's what "the gps told them to do" or why we have warning labels on packets of peanuts saying they contain nuts. Basically, a pretty good insight to what is wrong with society today.

Poor old Dad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Calais V
Guess i’m just curious what the current Holden system defines as the procedure for cabin filter change and why people will always cut corners regardless of what the correct procedure is, then defend it with because or you’ve been told.

One last say on the matter if I may?

Your reference to "the correct procedure" is where the problem lies.

IMO the "correct procedure" is whatever gets the job done with the least cost, time, etc.

Just because something is done quicker and/or cheaper doesn't mean that it's done incorrectly.

It just means that it's done quicker and/or cheaper.

Anyhoo, we'll be looking for a new fridge in a month or so.

If you don't mind I'll pass on the candidates to you to research.

I'll reckon you'll be like a dog with a bone and I'll be happy to go with your recommendation :)

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sometime I wonder about the level of comprehension that some people exhibit... maybe they just scan through the thread as they are used to one liners... I don’t know...

But I’ll say it again. I could not pull the screen filter out using normal pliers, long nose pliers. It felt like something would break... It wouldn’t budge... So I chose an alternate path...

If the screen popped out as many have indicated they were able to do, it would have stopped at the point...

I have no issue being able to comprehend workshop manuals and assessing intent. I can also modify a process if it seems logical or useful to go that way but I prefer not taking short cuts if it can be avoided. And I recognised the workshop manual available on this sub forum is rubbish (but better than nothing).

In this case I did what I wanted and spent some time checking out my vehicle. It’s others that have had problems with my choices because I didn’t follow the advice on this thread.

And now you equate me to a blithering idiot who drives into a river. Seriously dude, you need to either be constructive or hold you tongue.

This would be one of the few forums where insults seems to be part of the fabric but I think that is poor form.