Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF II SS cabin air filter

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
I fitted one recently that was different to the flimsy paper one, was a lot heavier and looked to have carbon in it. Was a genuine filter too. Maybe they've improved them?

Repco cabin air filters have activated carbon in them, they look dirty straight out of the packet.

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
I ended up getting one of the locally made Cabin Air Filters. Easy enough fit once you know how. Tips on this thread really helped. Removed the 7 x clips and was able to lever in the replacement.

http://cabinairfilters.com.au/product/holden-commodore-cabin-air-filter-2006-2017/
Not cheap man, I mean I use hospital grade HEPA antibacterial and they work out 1/4 price DIY.
Smart looking though (if you care about looks in that pookie spot).
Of course fits VE too.

TTubrag

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VFII SSV Redline
True, not cheap... True, looks smart... But it's poked away in a little black box to be forever covered in soot. So nope... aesthetics not a driver.

My car gets used mostly on weekends, so it doesn't see dirty peak hour traffic air. And the prevailing winds in Perth are good clean crisp air whisked up from somewhere down near the Antarctic. :)

So given the above, it was worth the price for me because;
- I figure I'll get two years service from a filter. Maybe more.
- It appears to be an over-engineered quality product (based on my limited experience with charcoal filters),
- I knew it would be more effective and last longer than a paper filter,
- I knew it would fit,
- It was a 10 minute, touch-once job,
- I was too lazy to source a HEPA medical pad, check that it fits properly and then go back some time later to check it's still holding in place.

Feel-good bonuses where that it's Aussie Made and delivery from QLD to Perth was 3 days, included in the price. :)

It's ye olde 'Cost - Time - Convenience' equation. :)

Last edited:

Voodoo_SV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 E3 R8 Manual+MY16 VFII SV6+MY11 VE S2 SV6
Monstar, how big is the piece of material you supply if I buy the whole roll?

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
Just quick tip after i Installed cabin air filter today.

I saw a few threads where people are completely removing plastic cover and rubber seal etc.on VF II.

I simply removed all plastic scrivets, lifted the plastic enough to get my hand in and reach the filter and pulled old plastic mesh filter out.

I then used genuine filter twisted it as per instruction in the box, inserted bottom section first and slowly pushed in the top of the filter.

I used good LED light to see in there well and make sure it is in properly.

It basically took 5-10 min to do.

So yeah...just confirmation it can be done without disassembly. The plastic is quite flexible and will not break when the front section is lifted 15-20cm ..
Cheers didn't even know there was a cabin filter option, bought 2 for the VF and daily VE

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
The comparison between the old and new filters is a bit deceptive. The old filter is obviously a carbon impregnated filter which is why it looks so black (because carbon is black). From the photo you really can't tell how dirty the filter is, except if you look at the pattern of white dots on the filter material, none of them look exceptionally dirty.

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
The comparison between the old and new filters is a bit deceptive. The old filter is obviously a carbon impregnated filter which is why it looks so black (because carbon is black). From the photo you really can't tell how dirty the filter is, except if you look at the pattern of white dots on the filter material, none of them look exceptionally dirty.
Nope, dirty DPF delete morons in 4WDs mainly, but they get dirty real quick driving bushfire season, paper tends to disintegrate and stink with mildew over a full snow season.

uploadfromtaptalk1313258851599.jpg

IMG_20120713_193342.jpg

IMG_2099.jpg

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director

I think it looks like the normal white paper filter. It as gone black due to all the **** in the air. I have changed many of these now and they all start white and come out black.