Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF II SS cabin air filter

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Old vs new

12 months old and about 15 000km

Please note that I used AC Delco branded one an the fit is pretty crap compared to Holden branded one. The top of the filter is slightly different and the bottom is about a centimeter longer. Will do for now but will not buy AC delco branded one again

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180201-135625.jpg
    Screenshot_20180201-135625.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 259

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
This is how it fits. Not happy

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180201-141027.jpg
    Screenshot_20180201-141027.jpg
    334.1 KB · Views: 339

Voodoo_SV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 E3 R8 Manual+MY16 VFII SV6+MY11 VE S2 SV6
The comparison between the old and new filters is a bit deceptive. The old filter is obviously a carbon impregnated filter which is why it looks so black (because carbon is black). From the photo you really can't tell how dirty the filter is, except if you look at the pattern of white dots on the filter material, none of them look exceptionally dirty.
They both started life as an AC Delco white filter - same part number and bought at the same time and looked like the white one in the picture. So that is a genuine comparison.

vy_berlina03

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY15 SV6 Storm
I ended up getting one of the locally made Cabin Air Filters. Easy enough fit once you know how. Tips on this thread really helped. Removed the 7 x clips and was able to lever in the replacement.

http://cabinairfilters.com.au/product/holden-commodore-cabin-air-filter-2006-2017/

I have tried the cabin air filters one and it was pretty rubbish did not perform as advertised and they changed the colour from orange frame to black frame. Got a full refund and they did not want the old one back was also a nightmare to install as it was rigid before

I prefer the ryco micro shield works a lot better

Dayvo

Because i can
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 Series 2
I have tried the cabin air filters one and it was pretty rubbish did not perform as advertised and they changed the colour from orange frame to black frame. Got a full refund and they did not want the old one back was also a nightmare to install as it was rigid before

I prefer the ryco micro shield works a lot better
I also prefer the ryco for better fit . I also put a bit of double sided tape on the top to keep it in place.

VinnieLS3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Commodore SSV Redline

I just installed my cabin air filter today and it was an absolute pain to do...way too rigid. I also noticed they changed from an orange frame to black.

Also when installing it, while trying to fold it a bit to get it to fit through the hole the course foam part started to come apart from the backing. I took a look and noticed the thinniest application of adhesive imaginable...pretty disappointing. I got it in eventually and it seems like it's in there snug so will see how it goes. Will definitely be sendin them an email.letting them know the product is pretty poorly made.

TTubrag

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VFII SSV Redline
Granted. Installing a 'Cabin Air Filter' brand air filter was MUCH easier to do on my Honda Civic run-about than the VF (Civic is a behind the glovebox jobbie). But truth is, the proper way to install the filter on the VF is to take the whole plastic lid off the back of the engine bay for full access to the HVAC air box. Removing the 7 x scrivet clips and just manoeuvring it though the gap is clearly a compromise. Holden didn’t design it for easy access. Now that I've done that once though, it'll be easier next time.

In terms of performance, my observation is the 'Cabin Air Filters' fitted to both my cars seem to perform just fine. They fit perfectly. Hold themselves firmly in place. Airflow is just fine. Actually quietens down the airflow noise at the cabin vents just a tad. Time will tell if it lets any dust through (it'll show up on the cabin vents if it does.) Can't really comment on the extent to which it removes contaminants from the air. To suggest it does or doesn't either way without some way to actually test it myself would be just a placebo claim. The same would be the case for any other activated carbon cabin filter.

In terms of the change to the filter's frame colour from orange to black...... Yeah well... Didn't buy it to look at it. :-|

Last edited: