Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF II SS cabin air filter

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
No need to remove the wipers. I originally that removing them would help, but in the end I worked out that they don’t need to be removed.

Remove all the scrivits across the plenum covers (left and right). Unhook the rubber seal (but you’ll have the leave the ends attached to the plenum as they are glued on). Give the two plastic sections wiggle and pop it off from the windscreen (I prised it up using my fingers and popped it off the windscreen). Yep, the wipers can get in the way, but I think that all you have to do is fold then back (upright) and you’ll have enough clearance. Once the plenum cover is loose, but still trapped by the ends, you need to seperate the join in the middle. It’s hard to explain how to do it, but wiggle and bend it a bit and it’ll come undone. Once it is in two parts, simply and carefully move the left hand section towards the centre (so the it clears the fender bit) and move it aside.
Thanks for the heads up. I've already got the passenger side Air Inlet Grille Cover off and sitting on the engine cover.

The concerns i have is getting good access to the screen filter and pulling it out without breaking things in the process. Also, getting the new filter correctly positioned and sealed is not a given considering it's impossible to see the top and right side well enough when looking into the Inlet housing.

By taking the wipers off, the 8 Grille Support panel bolts off and finally the Grill Support panel off, you are then looking squarly at the filter and removable Air Inlet Housing that holds the filter on. Unclip the housing and pull up the filter is all that's needed. And reasembley is a breese.

I need something to pull off teh wiper arms... Nothing that is obviously useful for the task at supercheap or repco...

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
PS: On other forums, they use 3rd party sights to host pictures and attachements but before long pictures are no longer accessible in the thread and sometimes important info has gone missing.

So how do i attach photos to the justcommodore site itself to ensure they wont go bye bye. Is it at all possible?

[paradox]

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV-R
i installed my cabin air filters carbon filter the other day.. took me all of 15 minutes
take off skrivets on passenger side , pull mesh out with pliers, and then push the cabin air one in. i didn't really find it that rigid or difficult.
just make sure you give it a good push to "click" in then put all back together

easier than changing the headlights

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
I need something to pull off teh wiper arms... Nothing that is obviously useful for the task at supercheap or repco...

Mate it's dead simple, remove five scrivets on the passenger side (obviously). Then pull the cover up enough to get your hand in. Yank the screen out and then put the new filter in its place. Using a torch will give you enough light to see what you're doing and if the new filter is seated correctly.

No need to go pulling wipers off etc. if it takes you more than ten minutes, you're doing it wrong.

I've done three this way.

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
No idea why you are removing the whole plenum when simply removing the pass side section allows more than enough access. It literally takes 5 minutes to remove the leaf screen and fit a pollen filter.

Thof

JR Sen
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY13 VF SSV sedan - Phantom
Hmmm. I generally drive around with the window down and sun roof open not seeing the value of the filter and any subsequent change... I may be wrong and need to pay attention. Yes, I have a non Holden mechanic whom does log book stuff, and in my ignorance, I haven’t asked him if he changes this filter, might ask next time, or at least get my soft ex Govt IT hands dirty... thanks to many for some great info and options on alternatives! Geez this place is not only a great place for reading / entertainment, but bloody great word n mouth and tech stuff. Thanks!!!

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
@PaRaDoX @tml678 & @RiCeY thanks for the heads up.

I haven’t spend much time today physically working on the actual air filter, likely 15 to 20 minutes actual hands on. I did spend much more time hunting through the garage looking for specific tools and jumping on the web looking for VF series 2 specifics. Also spent lots of time reading/hunting through the workshop manual and trying to find the references within (as links aren’t included in the PDF).

Once i’ve done this task once, it will be simple and much much quicker next time around but probably a little more than a 5 or 10 minute job though being longer is not a big problem in my view.

Remember, the first thing I tried once the Air Inlet Grille Cover was removed from the passenger side (took one minute longer than just pushing it up a little and out of the way) was pulling the screen filter out using long nose pliers but I couldn’t get the screen filter out. Who knows why my screen filter won’t come out... maybe i’m not forcefull enough or maybe it’s just stuck...

As it’s been raining, I really didn’t mind plodding about with the MSE and a few other things during this crapy day. Not as if I was going to go for a drive ;)

Consider what i’m doing is like the effort dismantling an Xbox when no how to’s exist; it can take quite some time to work things out and not break parts but once you have the knowledge it’s quicker each time it’s done again. Some find it a waste of time while others see it as a challenging puzzle to be solved.

@RiCeY as a Gold Level Holden Technician, you’d have lots of training/experience and may have a better touch than most occasional home mechanic, But are you saying Holden dealer service departments don’t follow Holden’s own service methods and cut corners? If so, it’s not a comforting thought...

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
Yes we could always remove unnecessary parts and charge you more labour, good idea.

Kingcarl

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Sv6 series II MY 12.5
Yes we could always remove unnecessary parts and charge you more
@PaRaDoX @tml678 & @RiCeY thanks for the heads up.

I haven’t spend much time today physically working on the actual air filter, likely 15 to 20 minutes actual hands on. I did spend much more time hunting through the garage looking for specific tools and jumping on the web looking for VF series 2 specifics. Also spent lots of time reading/hunting through the workshop manual and trying to find the references within (as links aren’t included in the PDF).

Once i’ve done this task once, it will be simple and much much quicker next time around but probably a little more than a 5 or 10 minute job though being longer is not a big problem in my view.

Remember, the first thing I tried once the Air Inlet Grille Cover was removed from the passenger side (took one minute longer than just pushing it up a little and out of the way) was pulling the screen filter out using long nose pliers but I couldn’t get the screen filter out. Who knows why my screen filter won’t come out... maybe i’m not forcefull enough or maybe it’s just stuck...

As it’s been raining, I really didn’t mind plodding about with the MSE and a few other things during this crapy day. Not as if I was going to go for a drive ;)

Consider what i’m doing is like the effort dismantling an Xbox when no how to’s exist; it can take quite some time to work things out and not break parts but once you have the knowledge it’s quicker each time it’s done again. Some find it a waste of time while others see it as a challenging puzzle to be solved.

@RiCeY as a Gold Level Holden Technician, you’d have lots of training/experience and may have a better touch than most occasional home mechanic, But are you saying Holden dealer service departments don’t follow Holden’s own service methods and cut corners? If so, it’s not a comforting thought...
Lol, who would have thought a cabin filter would come to this? Your car do it your way. I did one a few weeks back and don't know how you turned it into such a mission!

chrisp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 MY16 SS Redline Sportwagon
@RiCeY I was wondering if you have the Holden instructions on how to replace the cabin filter in the VF? I’ve only seen the instructions for the VE which come with the filter.