Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF II SS V - lost its growl!

Discussion in 'VF Holden Commodore (2013 - 2017)' started by Patt, Jan 24, 2017.

1. Patt

Patt New Member

Members Ride:
    2016 Holden Commodore VF SS V Series II
    Hi guys!

Im a proud owner of a 2016 vf SS V and WHAT A CAR!! What sold it for me was the natural noise that came from the car (the roar, the crackle). But (sadly) after driving it for 15000kms now, it's lost its grunt and all the noise with it.

It sounds really below average and very different to when I bought it. The power and general responsiveness is different too. Even when starting it up, it sounds average, and that's regardless of the bi-modal.

At my last service (done at Holden) the techs summarised the issues I raised and blamed it on the engine and gearbox being "adaptive" and said I needed to drive it harder to get the noise I want. It isn't a track car and I commute daily in traffic, I call BS on their reasoning to be honest.

Has anyone else had or heard of a similar issue with their LS3's?

Any advice is really appreciated!

2. XR_Strider_GuY

XR_Strider_GuY New Member

Members Ride:
    HSV GEN F2 SV Black
    Hi Mate,

I have been in many VF SS's and my dad has recently bought a demo SS with the 6.2L.

Have you checked on the screen that the bi-modal may have been accidentally switched off. There is a mode in vehicle settings that you can switch the bi-modal off or on. I doubt there is anything wrong with your car. In summary, check the bi-modal exhaust setting and flick the gearbox to performance mode (move lever towards the left) and I bet your SSV will be back.

3. Patt

Patt New Member

Members Ride:
    2016 Holden Commodore VF SS V Series II
    Hi mate. Thanks for the response. Bi-modal is definitely on, I ruled that one out early.

4. tml678

tml678 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    HSV30 Senator (w/end), 97 VS, 17 Carnival Platinum
    Could it just be that you've gotten used to it? Fast cars feel slower after a while and loud cars seem quieter after a while?

Mine is definitely louder (with the snap/crackle) on a warm startup as opposed to a cold start first thing in the morning, do you notice any difference between these?

Have you looked up the pipes to see if the flaps are opening when bi-modal is on? They're quite easy to see.

I'd agree about the 'adaptive' BS. From my understanding, the car will 'learn' your driving style to the extent of holding gears longer if your drive a bit more enthusiastically and vice-versa. Actual engone performance and sound shouldn't be affected.

Ask them to fire up and drive one of their demos to make a direct comparison while you're there. There really shouldn't be much of a difference.

If you're certain there's an issue, keep pushing the dealer or head to another one for a second opionion perhaps? As much as it sucks, I'd personally be staying with Holden dealers for potential warranty issues like this rather than an independent mechanic (except if you're after their opinion to take back to Holden)

Last edited: Jan 24, 2017
    arronm likes this.
  5. Chookah

Chookah Member

Members Ride:
    VFII SSV Redline Wagon
    I was thinking the same thing today with my 6.2, the only thing I can put it down to was filling up with 91 from 7/11 this morning

6. Harli

Harli Member

Members Ride:
    VFII Redline
    Interesting that you have brought this up. I noticed something similar regarding the car's responsiveness after driving it lazily for a week. I wondered to myself if the car was adapting to the slow driving style so I gave it the boot a bit more often and noticed the responsiveness come back. Maybe I am imagining it, maybe not. This was just my experience.

7. Phawk

Phawk Member

Members Ride:
    VF11 SSV Redline
    Might be exhaust and tune time!

8. monstar

monstar Naturally as-pirated

Members Ride:
    Peugeot 207 GTi
    Just the heat I think.

markalan1two likes this.
  9. VFSV6FORME

VFSV6FORME Active Member

Members Ride:
    VF SV6 STORM Series 1
    You got use to its Growl, use to the Power and after a weeks if feel that the car cannot crown again and it gutless. The symptom of getting use to it.

arronm and markalan1two like this.
  10. ndwalters

ndwalters Member

Members Ride:
    VF2 Redline
    Well running 91 in a car designed for 95 really isnt going to help

John Revill, monstar and TTubrag like this.
  11. duaned

duaned Active Member

Members Ride:
    M6 Red Hot MSE
    Your head is telling you to attach a blower between the heads of your engine! And for extra whine, drive with your wife in the passenger seat.

lmoengnr, Ponza and panhead like this.
  12. panhead

panhead Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Cars
    Shake her up by exiting the driveway sideways each morning.

Lex and CalaisNQ like this.
  13. Davison

Davison Active Member

Members Ride:
    MY16
    Well goddamn, it's happened to someone else too. Mine did exactly the same thing about a month ago, for a solid 7 days the exhaust was very muted and it was definitely missing grunt. No classic crackle on overrun, very underwhelming in the tunnels, it was as if the bimodal valves were playing up and the ECM was pulling timing or something. I first suspected a fuel issue but a fresh tank did nothing. Next I disconnected the battery in an attempt to reset KAM, about a day later she came back to life. Very bizarre, interesting to know it's not unique to my car. Start by disconnecting the battery overnight and go from there.

14. EYY

EYY Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VS Statesman
    They'll do that on a hot day. Heat's a real performance killer - they don't sound as crisp and seem quite flat in power delivery when they're sucking hot air.

Remember that 91 isn't as resistant to pre-ignition as 98. 91 may be fine in cooler weather, but it certainly my won't be helping your case in the heat.

monstar likes this.
  15. monstar

Members Ride:
    Peugeot 207 GTi
    Yes it is either fuel, heat, or both retarding Spark to protect your engine.
    Intake Air Temperature around 60° is common in traffic where ambient is over 35°, as are coolant temps 100°-110°.
    Under these fairly typical summer conditions the ECU pulls spark 11° out of around 21° flooring it with 98, so it's like trying to accelerate with idle spark.
    I can't imagine what flooring it with lower octane in typical hot summer traffic would be like but I see that sort of thing all the time... one person daily commute wasting money on cheap, barely refined toxic fuel powering a full sized performance sedan, crawling along with lukewarm a/c on full bore, sun beating down on bitumen bubbles that crackle and pop as the V8 CO2 generator (with Full Bolt Ons) drags its boiling two tonne arse through another non-stop three-in-a-row summer drive time.
    Flex your fuel, solves the problem. Made in Australia for us for good reasons.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
    Geoff6666, Eterno and Ponza like this.
  16. NewbC4KE

NewbC4KE Active Member

Members Ride:
    VF SSV M6 & Monaco M4 125cc 2 Stroke Go Kart

lmoengnr likes this.
  17. MYVESSV8

MYVESSV8 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VE 6LT M6
    like the response, heat will kill it, so will 91, I'm in Brisbane too like the op and you do notice it, I like flex fuel but mines not set-up for it, have been looking into it

18. bigjim92

bigjim92 Member

Members Ride:
    2016 VF SSVR
    I've got a VF2 Redline, and so does mum.
    My car cops a hard time, response and exhaust noise has never altered, that said it's had a couple of little changes and is maintained religiously. Throttle/Maf/OTR filter cleaned every 5000kms, oil and filter changed every 5000kms.

Mums car however, it's babied! Start up isn't always an angry as it was when new (10,000kms now) and it doesn't feel as strong or seem to go as hard. But, they are somewhat adaptive. If I take it for a spin and start giving it a hard time, things change, auto shifts different, exhaust sounds angry again.

As mentioned above, try disconnecting the battery, and also give it a bit of a hard time. Some people are afraid to let the car see revs, don't be, let it sing.

OzTurtle likes this.
  19. monstar

Members Ride:
    Peugeot 207 GTi
    I'm in Brisbane at the moment as well, you guys should come for a spin and see what you're missing! Good servos at Bald Hills, Virginia, Caboolture, Bli Bli, Coolum, Noosa, Gunalda, Hervey Bay, Bundaberg, Rockhampton, Mackay, Townsville. West there is Miles, Dalby, Toowoomba, Booval, Forestdale, Springfield, Browns Plains, Forestdale, Springfield, Browns Plains. South there is Mackenzie, Crestmead, Logan, Beenleigh, Upper Coomera, Arundel, Miramac. Sadly United South Tweed closed last weekend so northern NSW is an alcohol free zone 'til Coffs.
    Otherwise availability within touring range from Brisbane is good, here's a practical and safe total range you can achieve with planned fuel stops.
    North Undiluted: Mission Beach 50% Diluted: Port Douglas
    West Undiluted: Mitchell 50% Diluted: Charleville
    South West Undiluted: Goondawindi / Glen Innes 50% Diluted: St George / Narrabri / Tamworth *being frugal can make it to United Maitland via Thunderbolts
    South -> Pacific Undiluted: Ulladulla 50% Diluted: Eden
    South -> Hume Undiluted: Jindabyne / Adaminaby 50% Diluted: Lakes Entrance / Wangaratta
    Above assumes 400km/tank country spirited driving, topping up with petrol when tank is halfway will get you at least 200km further than the above range before zero benefits of flex fuel. Practically the alcohol-free regions to consider are Outback QLD NSW and VIC, FNQ and East Gippsland.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
  20. Forg

Forg Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
    From F&TF 47:
    monstar: I live my life one servo with E85 at a time

:D

Redline 2017 and monstar like this.