Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF II SS V - lost its growl!

Patt

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Holden Commodore VF SS V Series II
Hi guys!

Im a proud owner of a 2016 vf SS V and WHAT A CAR!! What sold it for me was the natural noise that came from the car (the roar, the crackle). But (sadly) after driving it for 15000kms now, it's lost its grunt and all the noise with it.

It sounds really below average and very different to when I bought it. The power and general responsiveness is different too. Even when starting it up, it sounds average, and that's regardless of the bi-modal.

At my last service (done at Holden) the techs summarised the issues I raised and blamed it on the engine and gearbox being "adaptive" and said I needed to drive it harder to get the noise I want. It isn't a track car and I commute daily in traffic, I call BS on their reasoning to be honest.

Has anyone else had or heard of a similar issue with their LS3's?

Any advice is really appreciated!

XR_Strider_GuY

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV GEN F2 SV Black
Hi Mate,

I have been in many VF SS's and my dad has recently bought a demo SS with the 6.2L.

Have you checked on the screen that the bi-modal may have been accidentally switched off. There is a mode in vehicle settings that you can switch the bi-modal off or on. I doubt there is anything wrong with your car. In summary, check the bi-modal exhaust setting and flick the gearbox to performance mode (move lever towards the left) and I bet your SSV will be back.

Patt

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Holden Commodore VF SS V Series II
Hi mate. Thanks for the response. Bi-modal is definitely on, I ruled that one out early.

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
Hi mate. Thanks for the response. Bi-modal is definitely on, I ruled that one out early.

Could it just be that you've gotten used to it? Fast cars feel slower after a while and loud cars seem quieter after a while?

Mine is definitely louder (with the snap/crackle) on a warm startup as opposed to a cold start first thing in the morning, do you notice any difference between these?

Have you looked up the pipes to see if the flaps are opening when bi-modal is on? They're quite easy to see.

I'd agree about the 'adaptive' BS. From my understanding, the car will 'learn' your driving style to the extent of holding gears longer if your drive a bit more enthusiastically and vice-versa. Actual engone performance and sound shouldn't be affected.

Ask them to fire up and drive one of their demos to make a direct comparison while you're there. There really shouldn't be much of a difference.

If you're certain there's an issue, keep pushing the dealer or head to another one for a second opionion perhaps? As much as it sucks, I'd personally be staying with Holden dealers for potential warranty issues like this rather than an independent mechanic (except if you're after their opinion to take back to Holden)

Last edited:

Chookah

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline Wagon
I was thinking the same thing today with my 6.2, the only thing I can put it down to was filling up with 91 from 7/11 this morning

Harli

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Redline
Interesting that you have brought this up. I noticed something similar regarding the car's responsiveness after driving it lazily for a week. I wondered to myself if the car was adapting to the slow driving style so I gave it the boot a bit more often and noticed the responsiveness come back. Maybe I am imagining it, maybe not. This was just my experience.

Phawk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF11 SSV Redline
Might be exhaust and tune time!

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Just the heat I think.

VFSV6FORME

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice V 6.0L, VE Anniversity V6 Series 1
Hi guys!

Im a proud owner of a 2016 vf SS V and WHAT A CAR!! What sold it for me was the natural noise that came from the car (the roar, the crackle). But (sadly) after driving it for 15000kms now, it's lost its grunt and all the noise with it.

It sounds really below average and very different to when I bought it. The power and general responsiveness is different too. Even when starting it up, it sounds average, and that's regardless of the bi-modal.

At my last service (done at Holden) the techs summarised the issues I raised and blamed it on the engine and gearbox being "adaptive" and said I needed to drive it harder to get the noise I want. It isn't a track car and I commute daily in traffic, I call BS on their reasoning to be honest.

Has anyone else had or heard of a similar issue with their LS3's?

Any advice is really appreciated!

You got use to its Growl, use to the Power and after a weeks if feel that the car cannot crown again and it gutless. The symptom of getting use to it.