Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Intake Air Baffle missing?

hypeAF

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Exec 5L; HSV Gen-F2 Senator
G'day Everyone, recently I had the front bumper off my VF to install some different style headlights. I found something that didn't seem right, I couldn't find much info online, so I thought I'd post here in case someone has experienced this themselves or has the knowledge......

So on the left hand headlight, there is a plastic shrowding that sits to the inside of the headlight. See photo below of me pointing to this part. GM part 92267814. It's referred to as Intake Air Baffle. I guess that is because this is on the air intake side of the car to assist in some way with the air flow into the air intake?

My question though is in relation to the right hand side of the car. On the right hand headlight, there is no baffle (also see photo of this). But there are clearly bolt holes and straight holes for the clips. It kind of looks like something is meant to be there too...... So my question is, is my car missing this on the right hand side?? Are there meant to be 2 and the car symmetrical?? Or did the cars just never come with it on the right hand side??

From the following link I assume that the cars only came with one on the air intake side...... https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oem-parts/gm-intake-air-baffle-92267814 But I thought I'd ask here in case anyone knows if I am missing one on the drivers side that should be here, even though I'm sure it pretty much does nothing, it just seems like something is missing...... So I would get one to install if it exists. Thanks for your help :) Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_0011.JPG
    IMG_0011.JPG
    198.7 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_0012.JPG
    IMG_0012.JPG
    192.9 KB · Views: 135

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
My question though is in relation to the right hand side of the car. On the right hand headlight, there is no baffle (also see photo of this). But there are clearly bolt holes and straight holes for the clips. It kind of looks like something is meant to be there too......
Yeah it looks odd and somewhat unsymmetrical not having the plastic blanking plate (air baffle) fitted to both headlampss. But could it be a front crash repair and they forgot to instal it or simply that's how it is supposed to be and its a place holder for an air baffle in LHD vehicles?

Deer with no eyes :p

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Some cars had an additional inlet to the airbox that piped in the cold air from behind the passenger headlight. Hence no baffle.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Except the air intake is on the same side.....

fxtE7FY.jpg
Haha, yes that’s true.

Now what does that leave us with as there is no baffle of the right side headlamp and you’d think they’d not want air to bleed uselessly past the radiator unless it’s for engine breathing which is via the left side headlamp… It does seem odd indeed...

But as I said, deer with no eyes :p:p:p

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Some cars had an additional inlet to the airbox that piped in the cold air from behind the passenger headlight. Hence no baffle.
I assume the additional piping (like the HSV bimodal intake) was to the left headlight and not the right headlight assembly which is missing a baffle?

Interestingly nothing is shown in the Chevy SS parts view, only left side air baffle is shown (#9).
0a6b7e42b377ae7d28d008b9002baea6.png

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Haha, yes that’s true.

Now what does that leave us with as there is no baffle of the right side headlamp and you’d think they’d not want air to bleed uselessly past the radiator unless it’s for engine breathing which is via the left side headlamp… It does seem odd indeed...

Save 20c in production.

hypeAF

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Exec 5L; HSV Gen-F2 Senator
Yeah that diagram from Chevy SS parts view as well as that idea of saving some money in production makes me think maybe it was just designed that way...... it definitely annoys me that it's not symmetrical though haha

But also hoping someone has had the bumper off of their own VF at some point and can confirm if their car is the same or if it HAS a right hand side baffle.....

Martbar

Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 VF Series 2 SSV Redline.
Further to above, has anyone plumbed into the left hand side,( facing engine) to provide the intake with more cool air.

Geoff6666

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf 1 SSV UTE 6M Phantom
Haha, yes that’s true.

So it's now a deer with no legs as well . . . .