Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF Issues without resolution from dealer

deanojet

Reaction score
Hi All,

I bought my SSV wagon back in April and overall pretty happy with the car, but I have never had a car with so many issues.

1. Window seal drivers side came out (fixed under warranty). Now makes squeeking noise which they sprayed some stuff on and fixed it for a day
2. Drivers seat moves around when driving, replaced base under warranty, did it again and now they tell me they all do it and there's nothing they can do about it.
3. Ticking noise at warm idle, they say it's headers (even though HSV headers and HSVs don't sound like that). Anyway, not majorly fussed with this one.
4. Cold start producing loud knocking sound until warm and even while driving sounds like I am driving a diesel from inside the car. (normal apparently)
5. Body armour has come loose (will be getting fixed under warranty)

So the district manager goes into the dealership to checkout the seat and the cold start up sound, he said all of them have issues with the seat so nothing they can do, and the sound is normal. If it's normal, why didn't it do it from the start you silly twat, and why don't you then show me other new ones on the floor that make this sound, i'll tell you why, because it's not effing normal.

Now, I am pretty frustrated because other than these things I really enjoy driving the car.

Has anyone been able to resolve issues such as these or otherwise where the dealership doesn't want to do anything by going straight to holden? Is there a governing body I should talk to, or am I stuck with a rattling car with a moving seat?

Does anyone of importance in Holden read these posts? If so, I would like you to know that this is not good enough!

Sorry about the rant fellas, any helpful suggestions would be appreciated.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Doesn't sound right to me.

The knocking sound might be related to the exhaust.

Either way the dealer needs to rectify. If you don't get any joy with the local dealer try contacting a national sales manager at Holden directly and make complaints.

virus88

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY14 VF SSV
Ive been suffering 2 and 3 for a while now, 7 months old and 20k now.

I had the clutch replaced at 2000km due to terrible clutch shudder. My gearbox crunches 2nd and 3rd often and sometimes wont even allow me into 1st
and 2nd. Ive had times where i am unable to get into any gear at all until i stop the car. It has been back 7 times now always with the "we didnt find anything"
although they only seem to do a couple kms of test driving, I drive 120+km a day to work and back and get it at least once or twice a day.
I also have issues where it feels like the clutch doesnt disengage correctly. ill be idling at the lights in neutral with my foot on the clutch, go to put it in 1st and it feels like someone hits me up the back.

Was in earlier this week to fix the seat although they said nothing was wrong with it and have complained many times about the warm idle ticking which
they tell me they cant hear (i assume they are deaf)

Neptunesblood

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
I had a similar problem with dealer on the first 3000km check. I complained about the front brakes squeaking when coming to a slow stop. Service guy said and I quote, "yeah its a common problem, their sh1t. Nothing can be done, just use a high pressure hose to spray out the brake dust." I asked him why the advertisement for the car didn't say that it came with squeaky brakes. And if that was the case all Holden SSV VF's would be squeaking and they are not. He looked p1ssed.

I'm driving a SSV Redline so he's saying Brembo brakes are crap. My jaw dropped.
Next I complained about the thermostat in the heater/air con not being reliable. He said "common problem, cant be fixed the units are crap from day one in the VF's.

I walked out bewildered and will be raising these at my proper service.

deanojet

Reaction score
A lot of money to spend for this sort of junk isn't it.

ryan101

Reaction score
Members Ride
vx ss
I get a cold tick only for maybe 30secs first thing in the mornings, disappears to almost un noticeable

When I first got the car the front passenger seat rattled when idling but hasn't done it since

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Someone should get a recording of service personnel saying these things and then complain to what ever is your local complaints authority/body.

I was reading something recently about clutch issues with late model Commodores but I can't remember exactly which models however the fix involved fitting an earlier model clutch slave cylinder because of clutch issues with the stock item.

High performance brakes can be a little noisy sometimes due to the friction materials used. It might be related specifically to the brake upgrade and therefore not common problem with cars fitted with OEM brake package.

sandman2010

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Ute
with the amount of tech and new bits and pieces im not really surprised there are issues with the cars and so many recalls but it is very frustrating when they dont play ball on there end, they just wanna sell the car and get you out the door.

im also having the issues with battery going flat but looks like it to do with the fog lights.

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
I bought my SSV wagon back in April and overall pretty happy with the car, but I have never had a car with so many issues.

1. Window seal drivers side came out (fixed under warranty). Now makes squeeking noise which they sprayed some stuff on and fixed it for a day

Go to another service centre.

2. Drivers seat moves around when driving, replaced base under warranty, did it again and now they tell me they all do it and there's nothing they can do about it.

A video would help. Hard to imagine exactly what you mean.

3. Ticking noise at warm idle, they say it's headers (even though HSV headers and HSVs don't sound like that). Anyway, not majorly fussed with this one.

That is interesting. Again a video would help.

4. Cold start producing loud knocking sound until warm and even while driving sounds like I am driving a diesel from inside the car. (normal apparently)

Wait three minutes at least before driving from cold. Yes it is normal.

5. Body armour has come loose (will be getting fixed under warranty)

Makes sense.

So the district manager goes into the dealership to checkout the seat and the cold start up sound, he said all of them have issues with the seat so nothing they can do, and the sound is normal. If it's normal, why didn't it do it from the start you silly twat, and why don't you then show me other new ones on the floor that make this sound, i'll tell you why, because it's not effing normal.

It does make a sound but whether it is one of the normal sounds is hard to tell from the text.

Has anyone been able to resolve issues such as these or otherwise where the dealership doesn't want to do anything by going straight to holden? Is there a governing body I should talk to, or am I stuck with a rattling car with a moving seat?[

If I was really irate because it was not normal then I'd escalate it with more evidence through Holden, yes.

Does anyone of importance in Holden read these posts? If so, I would like you to know that this is not good enough!

I doubt it. But there are lots with similar experiences. Take the time to provide more detailed info and armed with a forum consensus would help.