Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vf locked steering while driving.

Georges dagher

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF storm
good day guys, hope you’re all good.

So couple of days back, I bought my first car a Vf storm. Test drove the car and everything was swell so ended up buying it(private) and was driving the car everything was all good until today driving with my missus at around 80 km/h on the highway the car suddenly gave me an error saying “power steering locked, steering wheel needs servicing” so I ended up somehow safely pulling to the side of the road turned the ignition off and back on and the steering wheel started working again. Drove about 2-3 kms and then same error came up and had to do the same thing again. I’ve called Holden and made a booking but I’m just wondering has this ever happened to anyone before? And if so what is the problem with the car? Sorry guys just super worried as I’ve just bought the car.

lobbie

Reaction score
Members Ride
vf sv6
good day guys, hope you’re all good.

So couple of days back, I bought my first car a Vf storm. Test drove the car and everything was swell so ended up buying it(private) and was driving the car everything was all good until today driving with my missus at around 80 km/h on the highway the car suddenly gave me an error saying “power steering locked, steering wheel needs servicing” so I ended up somehow safely pulling to the side of the road turned the ignition off and back on and the steering wheel started working again. Drove about 2-3 kms and then same error came up and had to do the same thing again. I’ve called Holden and made a booking but I’m just wondering has this ever happened to anyone before? And if so what is the problem with the car? Sorry guys just super worried as I’ve just bought the car.
Hi there georges there is a thread at the top of page regarding this. One question though was your car easy to steer when this happened?

Georges dagher

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF storm
Hi there georges there is a thread at the top of page regarding this. One question though was your car easy to steer when this happened?
Hey there Lobbie, the steering wheel locked completely so it was almost impossible to steer. I’ll have a look at the forum now thanks !!

lobbie

Reaction score
Members Ride
vf sv6
Hey there Lobbie, the steering wheel locked completely so it was almost impossible to steer. I’ll have a look at the forum now thanks !!

Good luck mate. But it does sound different to the electric power assistance problems. If your steering locks up while doing 80klm take it straight back to holden and demand a fix. It is dangerous

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Definitely contact Holden and get it seen to, I'd also notify the previous owner and querry what they know, if they sold you the vehicle knowing it has a serious problem you may possibly have recourse to get your money back. Seems strange that this fault occured only just after purchasing it.

Georges dagher

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF storm
I contacted the previous owner and he seemed genuinely shocked at what happened, he might of knew but that well be almost impossible to prove anyways I’ve read some forums on the electric power assistance problem and I feel as though that’s the problem. I hope its not going to cost me a fortune as the car is out of warranty.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
I contacted the previous owner and he seemed genuinely shocked at what happened, he might of knew but that well be almost impossible to prove anyways I’ve read some forums on the electric power assistance problem and I feel as though that’s the problem. I hope its not going to cost me a fortune as the car is out of warranty.

Read the thread that @lobbie referred to and take particular note of the comments re the ACL and the ACCC.

Being out of warranty is irrelevant.

Pablito

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, VE SS
Hope it gets sorted for you mate.

Be prepared for the dealer to play dumb. More than likely they will lie and say they haven't heard of this problem before etc etc and want to charge you a diagnostic fee.
Read through that other thread and arm yourself with all the facts and call them out over it. They 100% know this problem exists and have replaced steering racks for free on out of warranty vehicles for those who push it.