Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF loss of Ac and Surging acceleration

Mic.ellis1623

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF 6.0
Hi All

just wondering if anyone may be able to point me in the right direction. On a recent trip up to the north west I had issues with my 2013 VF SSV and it surging under acceleration.
The Aircon was struggling and blowing out air on 12 like it was set at 3, I then turned the aircon on and off and it started working fine. Not long after that my fuel economy went from sitting at 10l per 100 to about 15 and any time I needed to accelerate it would jump to 20l per 100 and the car would start cutting out power and shuddering/surging.

has anyone else experienced this?

wagon37

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V Redline Wagon, VZ Executive Wagon

Daniel Souza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Wagon SSV Redline
It could be so many things.

You can check the injectors resistance to begin. Lots of information on the forum as @wagon37 mentioned.

I would suggest buying and OBDII reader and start gathering some more information like cylinder misfire, fuel trims , O2 sensors and etc.

The cylinder misfire is a good one because if it is happening , you can start troubleshooting by checking connections or swapping spark plus, leads , coils.

Mic.ellis1623

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF 6.0
Only other thing I can add is when it first happened I had been driving at 45 degree heat for a couple hours

GRUNT357

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 II
Hi All

just wondering if anyone may be able to point me in the right direction. On a recent trip up to the north west I had issues with my 2013 VF SSV and it surging under acceleration.
The Aircon was struggling and blowing out air on 12 like it was set at 3, I then turned the aircon on and off and it started working fine. Not long after that my fuel economy went from sitting at 10l per 100 to about 15 and any time I needed to accelerate it would jump to 20l per 100 and the car would start cutting out power and shuddering/surging.

has anyone else experienced this?
Did you work out what the issues is?
My sons VF is doing a similar thing were it seems like its missing & starts surging & shaking. Whenever we take it to a mechanic & put diagnostics on it the only issue that comes up is to do with the air intake system that was on the car when we bought it.
Every time we take it for someone to drive it never does it but on a long drive when it gets hot is when the issues seems to arise?

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
@GRUNT357 I don't think you'll get a response, they only posted those two messages & haven't been back in 3 years.
Probably better to follow the links added by others & go down those various rabbit-holes.

The thing you say about long drives when it gets hot though ... that sounds like maybe an air or water temp sensor?

GRUNT357

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 II
@GRUNT357 I don't think you'll get a response, they only posted those two messages & haven't been back in 3 years.
Probably better to follow the links added by others & go down those various rabbit-holes.

The thing you say about long drives when it gets hot though ... that sounds like maybe an air or water temp sensor?
Thats basically what our mechanic is saying that the sensor near the intake gets oil on it & once you clean it you seem to get a good run out of it
Mechanic suggests putting a guard to stop oil getting to sensor

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
Thats basically what our mechanic is saying that the sensor near the intake gets oil on it & once you clean it you seem to get a good run out of it
Mechanic suggests putting a guard to stop oil getting to sensor
Why not just fix the oil leak?

GRUNT357

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SV6 II
Why not just fix the oil leak?
I don't believe there is an oil leak of such. Because the sensor is right near air intake i believe its just residual oil & thuis is why it doesnt happen often but mostly happens when you have been driving & engine temperature is up (see photo attached)