Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VFSSBlackLS3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Black Edition, Series 2 LS3, 6 Speed manual
I purchased my LS3 VF SS about a month and a half ago... since purchasing it I've noticed that occasionally it idles a little bit rough on start... there isn't any noise, or lack of power, just a lumpy idle...
But just yesterday on closer inspection I noticed that the harmonic balancer had a slight wobble to it, and then after doing some research I found that a few other owners of the LS3 had similar issues at around the same mileage (30 - 35000kms)...
One guy on youtube had his replaced on warranty during the 45k logbook service with a superior part...
If you have an LS3 still in warranty then I suggest checking the Crank pully/harmonic balancer! And my question to the community is, if anyone has had this happen and what their experiences were with getting it sorted?

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
get an aftermarket one to replace it then it wont have any issues

VFSSBlackLS3

Reaction score
Members Ride
get an aftermarket one to replace it then it wont have any issues
Mine is still under new car warranty... so would I be be better off just bringing the issue up at the Holden dealer and hoping to get it done for free? Do you know what's involved in getting warrenty repairs?

Smashfist

Reaction score
Members Ride
440rwhp Cammed VF Ute
A slight amount of runout on the balancer is normal and allowable. It won't be causing any idle quality issues and unless it's got belt squeal/is throwing drive belts I wouldn't worry about it.

VFSSBlackLS3

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yeah I heard that and I heard of some people leaving it and not worrying about it and then when they finally did fix it they had to replace a whole pile of stuff like ACC belts etc.... still this gives me some peace of mind coz it wasn't worded exactly the way you worded it and now I'm wondering if I even have an issue to worry about it all... thanks for the reply

VFSSBlackLS3

Reaction score
Members Ride
Can anyone else confirm a small amount of wobble in their LS3 crank pulley and that it is a normal thing?

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
most factory will have a small wobble they were not made the best from the start

Daniel Souza

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Wagon SSV Redline
The video you saw on YouTube is probably my car. It was also squeaking when cold.

Castle Hill Holden replaced it under warranty without any drama. They replaced with a different part number which I think I posted somewhere in the forum.

The issue with the balancer didn’t affect the idle at all. However now at 60k Km my idle is rough and I am having cyl8 misfires. Check the thread
https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/fuel-injector-failure.273845/page-3#post-3000127

Lots of people having this injectors issue.

Because your car is under warranty, I would suggest you to let Holden inspect and replace the balancer if needed. If someone else touches the engine you could loose the warranty on the powertrain.

Merv Murray

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM CAPRICE 6.0 A6
Hi All I had the same noise/problem on my WN LS3 Caprice. There was a lot of wobble from the harmonica balancer. I had a 25% underdrive balancer on an L98 so swapped it out & all problems fixed. Posted elsewhere the parts required.