Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF LWR LPG V6 oil showing above max on dipstick, overfull?

muso

Reaction score
Members Ride
BA xr6 turbo Heinrich tuned to 300 rwkw's
I did an oil change on my VF evoke LPG V6. The book said 7.2 litres with new filter (7.0 litres for petrol V6 models) I put in a bit less to allow for slight fall on driveway which would show inaccurate reading on dipstick. But later when I moved it to level ground in a car park I checked the oil and it is above the max mark on the dipstick, pretty much up to the cross hatched area (5 mm above max full line on dipstick).
Is this ok, or do I have do drain some out, I know with the Alloytec you have to get everything right, I put 7.1 litres in it with a new filter, measured from the oil container poured into a measuring vessel. It's a great car the VF, I want it to last and stay great :)

Am I being pedantic if I drain a bit out down to the max line on dipstick?

Attachments

• Capture screenshot oil.PNG
    Capture screenshot oil.PNG
    111.5 KB · Views: 336

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
I would drain some out. Over filling has many drawbacks but the one main concern if the crank throwing too much oil up onto the bores causing the rings to skate and burnishing the hone finish. This can lead to overheating of the ring it's self causing spot hardening which will glaze the bores.
So yes it is important to keep the oil level below the mark.
But some engines love it some hate it as for SAAB V6 engines I have seen any deviation off recomended service intervals and oil has very bad effects.

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
I wouldn't worry about it. Most dealers overfill by about that much and your engine would consume that within 5k kms.

muso

Reaction score
Members Ride
What gets me is that I put in the amount of oil the service book said to, a bit less actually 7.1 litres instead of the recommended 7.2 Litres. Could it be that the dip stick for the lpg models is the same as the dipstick for the petrol models? This would explain why it is showing above the max line on the dipstick (the extra 200 ml of oil in the lpg Evoke)

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
What gets me is that I put in the amount of oil the service book said to, a bit less actually 7.1 litres instead of the recommended 7.2 Litres. Could it be that the dip stick for the lpg models is the same as the dipstick for the petrol models? This would explain why it is showing above the max line on the dipstick (the extra 200 ml of oil in the lpg Evoke)

You mentioned that the vehicle was not level when you changed the oil so some old oil may have been in the sump

muso

Reaction score
Members Ride
Not until I had put in the required amount of oil as per book

Milo 6.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 vf ssv wagon/2009 fg xr6t(daily
Make sure the amount listed in the manual isn't for a dry fill,if it is then you will definitely overfill it with that much oil.
You can never drain all the oil out of a motor when servicing it,theres always some left in the block/heads/oil galleries etc.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
I always put 500ml less than the specified capacity then start it and run it for a bit stop it then let it settle for a minute then top up to the level on the dipstick.

RossK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE11 SV6, VF LPG Evoke
I typically dump 6L in and then top up from there.