Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vf Maloo

Get the dog

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf Maloo
Hey guys, I’m just after some tips on the best way to remove my gear knob o of my vf manual Maloo.
Thanks

15SUPERSPORT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Commodore/Chevy SS
1626738965314.png

15SUPERSPORT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Commodore/Chevy SS
How do you get the gear boot to slide down?
Should be able to just give it a tug, it sits over a small lip around the base of the knob. You can also remove the bezel, lift the boot and get it from underneath, but if you're not replacing the whole assembly it's probably not necessary. That isn't to say that it may in fact be easier to go from underneath than to get the boot situated over the replacement knob...

https://www.ssforums.com/threads/mgw-short-shifter-install-ss-specific.138329/

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
It looks like it might be easier to coerce down if you've got one of those sets of plastic spoons, skinny spatulas, smooth breadknife-shaped things & forked poking-sticks that are usually called "trim removal tools".

15SUPERSPORT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Commodore/Chevy SS
It looks like it might be easier to coerce down if you've got one of those sets of plastic spoons, skinny spatulas, smooth breadknife-shaped things & forked poking-sticks that are usually called "trim removal tools".
A good shimmy seemed to do the trick for most of us, but you'll definitely need the plethora of plastic to remove the trim and have a go from underneath. On the MGW I'm currently running you actually cut the ring off of the boot and zip tie it around a rubber ring that slides on the shifter, so I'm not real sure how easy or otherwise the ring is to re-install, I suppose it depends on the replacement knob.
1626784510909.png

Get the dog

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf Maloo
Should be able to just give it a tug, it sits over a small lip around the base of the knob. You can also remove the bezel, lift the boot and get it from underneath, but if you're not replacing the whole assembly it's probably not necessary. That isn't to say that it may in fact be easier to go from underneath than to get the boot situated over the replacement knob...

https://www.ssforums.com/threads/mgw-short-shifter-install-ss-specific.138329/

Thanks for your help mate