Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF manual our automatic

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
^^ same, manual if the little 3.0 or SV6, otherwise go the auto's torque multiplier bolted to the V8, especially if you are looking to enhance performance.
Big brakes, tuned shift points and convertor, make the most of your six gears and 550Nm.

wassup353

Reaction score
Members Ride
Series 2 VX SS
Also it might be worth noting that the AFM in the auto does not mean it gets better fuel economy than the manual. Both are rated at an average of 11.8.

In the VE's the fuel economy of an AUTO AFM was actually worse than the manual without it.

My two cents.

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
Also it might be worth noting that the AFM in the auto does not mean it gets better fuel economy than the manual. Both are rated at an average of 11.8.

In the VE's the fuel economy of an AUTO AFM was actually worse than the manual without it.

My two cents.

Really depends how and where you drive, as low as 9.5l/100k all hwy measured at the pump with v8 auto @ 100kph, 10.0l/100k @ 140kph with 450kg load.

You can't get near that in a manual, plus AFM works everywhere >15% savings up to 35%.

Use the v8 like Brocky and it is as bad as 4cyl turbo automatic around town.

Mik001

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS
Go the Man. I went into the dealer wanting the auto and was underwhelmed. Press the pedal and nothing really happens until it kicks back then finally goes. Unresponsive.
The manual is a different beast

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Go the Man. I went into the dealer wanting the auto and was underwhelmed. Press the pedal and nothing really happens until it kicks back then finally goes. Unresponsive.
The manual is a different beast

...And how does your manual accelerate from 60km/h in 6th without downshifting? I can also guarantee the auto will downshift to the appropriate gear far quicker than you can cog swap in the manual.

duaned

Reaction score
Members Ride
M6 Red Hot MSE
Stuff the manual. Driveline shunt, clutch shudder and the list goes on. Its not a matter of if, but when.

RooiLyn

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F-2 Senator Signature
I have and prefer the manual - like many things, it's personal preference and when I go for an enjoyable drive, the whole interaction with a manual gearbox is part of what I like. No driveline shunt, clutch shudder or any other issues for me - smooth, good gearshift, very happy with it.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
I like the Manual too. Drove it, love it. But I prefer the auto. Far better for towing, fuel economy, longevity, smoother ride, etc. I use the manual shift a lot too, tap it back a couple of cogs, tacho blips, exhaust sings on command. Awesome.

The manual has its place too, that's why most car manufacturers give us as buyers the option. It's as much about the application as it is about preference. For example I can't imaging stop / start, sitting in Syd traffic every day with a manual. It would do my head in. But in the county the manual is super happy fun time.

Out of interest how often do you VF manual blokes use the launch control?

BTW - The driveline shunt, clutch shudder are a higher km issue generally.

Each to their own.

Cheers

RooiLyn

Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F-2 Senator Signature
Haven't used the launch control at all yet Cuda - that is not really a "street" thing as I see it. I have spent years in stop/start traffic in Syd with manual cars (am in Brisvegas these days) and it was never an issue. Like you say, to each their own - either gearbox, the car is still a damn fine car!