Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF metal key replacement

sandman2010

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Ute
hey all,

wondering, the metal part of my key has broken, the car can still unlock ect with the buttons, question is....

can i get a blank flip key replacement pull apart my current one, get the new metal cut and replace the old one without having to spend $400 on a new key and code to the car?

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
hey all,

wondering, the metal part of my key has broken, the car can still unlock ect with the buttons, question is....

can i get a blank flip key replacement pull apart my current one, get the new metal cut and replace the old one without having to spend $400 on a new key and code to the car?

Yes you can replace just the metal "key" part.

This is what it looks like inside the key

key.jpg

sandman2010

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Ute
sweet, yeah i saw that, the key itself is still fine its just the metal has snapped off from the flip metal section so was hoping to just get the metal blank key cut pull the fob apart and stick new one in and keep on driving. should that work without seeing holden for a liver payment coding?

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
sweet, yeah i saw that, the key itself is still fine its just the metal has snapped off from the flip metal section so was hoping to just get the metal blank key cut pull the fob apart and stick new one in and keep on driving. should that work without seeing holden for a liver payment coding?

The coding is for the electronic part in the picture.
The metal key has nothing to code so it can be freely swapped without issue.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Supposedly the key blade is held into the button flipper by a split pin, so easy to get off. Don’t even have to dismantle the key fob.

And I thought any locksmith at your local shopping centre could replace the key blank, copy the key profile and reinsert it back into the key fob. Ideally providing the key cut code allows the locksmith to make a more accurate cut than simply copying a potentially worn key.

I can’t remember if the key cut code is provided with the paperwork when purchasing a new car but Holden should be able to provide it (though the tightarses may want a fee for the code).

Z31na

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VF Commodore Evoke
Got a spare for a locksmith to copy from?

Map keys have replacement shells. Kf218 is the part number for a 5 button auto sedan key assembly without electronics. Its probably the eaisest way to get a blank blade. The big 3 auto groups stock them.

Push the roll pin out of both Map and genuine keys. Put Map blank in genuine key body. Reinsert roll pin and take to lock smith to get cut off the spare.

IMHO, based on experience dealing with their keys, Map’s quality leaves a lot to be desired ...but surely there isnt too much they can get wrong with making a key blank...

Thorby

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Black Edition Wagon
Supposedly the key blade is held into the button flipper by a split pin, so easy to get off. Don’t even have to dismantle the key fob.

And I thought any locksmith at your local shopping centre could replace the key blank, copy the key profile and reinsert it back into the key fob. Ideally providing the key cut code allows the locksmith to make a more accurate cut than simply copying a potentially worn key.

I can’t remember if the key cut code is provided with the paperwork when purchasing a new car but Holden should be able to provide it (though the tightarses may want a fee for the code).
Key code is in the owners manual from memory, should be a separate sticker or cardboard card.

sandman2010

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Ute
sweet thanks all, i found my spare aswell so ill get this cut to a blank and swap the blade out so i got a spare

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)

The key code is on the identification card that the astute store out of and away from the car. I thought that locksmiths usually asked for proof of ownership of the car before they cut a key.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
The key code is on the identification card that the astute store out of and away from the car. I thought that locksmiths usually asked for proof of ownership of the car before they cut a key.
Yes, an astute owner would save such info somewhere safe.

All docs received as part of my purchase are safely stored but I’ve yet to cut a genuine spare wheel locknut key (stupidly you only get one key along with a code in the blister pack :mad: ).

Frustratingly, Holden haven't allowed a place for it within the spare wheel carrier so the locknut key sits in the glovebox :rolleyes: Yeah, it’s a bit OCD :)

As for locksmiths, it’s been a long long while since I’ve had a car key cut. Back then, pre EFI days, no need to provide proof of ownership. It was just hand over the spare key and they copied it...

Still, it would be sensible to require proof of registration/ownership to cut a new car key (especially from a code). Luckily providing such info isn’t a big deal ;)