Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF MyLink Questions

holomatrix

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sportwagon
Hi all

1. Has anyone come back to their car and noticed that the MyLink doesnt start up at the folder/song it was on when you parked? At first I though it was something to do with it sensing the wrong key at unlock... but since I do 95% of the driving (it's a work car) and for the majority of that the other key is nowhere near where the car is (read: at home locked away) then I don't think it's that. I started to keep a list of what song and where in that song the MyLink is when I shut off the car, and then what song and where it starts when I come back and start it up and have found an interesting correlation... 3 trips. Each time I start the car the MyLink is starting at the song (and place IN the song) that it was at when switched off three trips before. Is there a setting I have missed to fix this or is it just a vaguerie of the new MyLink system?

and

2. I was told by the salesman that it was possible to stop the MyLink doing that brief showing of each song on the Heads Up display (the pretty thing on the windscreen) however it seems that he was just doing the typical salesman thing of promising something to sell the vehicle whether he knew it could or not - because I cant seem to find a setting for disabling it or a dealer tech who knows how to do it. I love the heads up display but find it entirely unnecessary (and annoying) that the names and details of the songs playing keep coming up on the HUD. Anyone seen anything that makes that go away?

Other than that, and as a previous VE owner I find the VF experience to be positive. The only other issue I have seen with the car is that whilst the software updates for the Climate Control/Heater and Steering Wheel Sensor have been applied... the steering wheel sensor still seems to throw an error about once every 10-12 days (so the update obviously didn't completely solve the problem - it stopped it from coming up every other day, which is an improvement). I have watched as the steering system was tested and am happy that there isnt a real issue, and the error always clears as soon as the start button is pressed and the steering wheel 'unlocks'. Fuel usage is about the same as my previous VE (I think the so-called fuel saving improvements may only really come into effect on a long highway trip, but the standard around town grind doesn't see any major/noticeable change). oh... and unlike my VE Calais which couldnt ever seem to get the memory seat stuff properly, the VF memory seat system works a treat! (I read somewhere that you could get the driver mirror to dip with the passenger mirror when engaging reverse... can't seem to get that one myself but can see its probably only a software update/tick/setting away)

MtnsVF

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV redline wagon
I have also noticed this starting at a different point when playing music from the USB key. The "back 3 steps" is interesting - sounds like a simple bit of software error but it is annoying. I am not sure it happens every time and may be related to the time lapse between turn off and turn on. Will have to keep a closer note and see the pattern.

IF you find that HUD adjustment, let me know. I agree it is annoying. Gee you get used to the HUD quickly - I am in a loaner car right now and no HUD is a pain.

Delegatedup

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais
I'm new to Holden, and 300km into my new Calais VF. I love it. Still working out how to get some of the voice commands working better, but otherwise, I am hugely satisfied. The only one thing that I have been unable to solve, and which is starting to annoy me, is how you Pause and Play a track playing from the iPod/iPhone, and presumably when playing a CD too, although I haven't tried that yet. I note from the Handbook that cars that do not have Sat Nav have a Pause/Play button on the dash, but this is given up to Nav when you have Sat Nav. So if you are playing a track, and you want to temporarily stop play for some reason, and then resume play from where you were, it can't be done. On the steering wheel you can mute the playback, but of course that doesn't stop the track it just mutes it. On the screen you can move to the start or the end of the track, but again, it doesn't solve the problem.

Is there something I am missing, or is this just a flaw caused by Holden deciding to give up the appropriate button to another function?

Any guidance from you Holden pros out there would be much appreciated.

veessv

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS, VE SSV
I havent tried this but you might be able to use the voice command to pause or stop the track

zappaboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V6 Sportswagon, Motorsport Auto VE Ute
Please excuse if I have misunderstood what you are saying about the mylink but the mylink is just showing what is being indicated on your phone. My personal experience with my Calais V is that the song and title displayed on the mylink screen is inconsistent but then I noticed that the song and title were incorrect displayed on the actual phone.

Delegatedup

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais
Thanks veessv and zappaboy. I have tried, and failed, to get voice commands to stop or pause play, but in truth, even if it had worked, it would be a really cumbersome way of just bringing play to a halt. There is nothing wrong with the display, the song track information is shown, along with Gracenote information, and a progress bar. You can skip to the beginning or the end using soft buttons on the touch screen. It's just that there is no way at all of stopping play, either temporarily (pause) or fully. So for example if I had been listening to a track on my connected iPhone whilst driving alone, got home and stopped the car, then the following day go out in the car with the family, as soon as I start the car, off goes the track again. What to do? I can't stop the play without handling the iPhone. I can mute it from the steering wheel, or change the Source to a different setting, but I can't stop the bl***y music playing! It's very frustrating, and I just don't understand why Holden have designed it this way, unless it is just about them running out of buttons when you have Sat Nav fitted.

zappaboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V6 Sportswagon, Motorsport Auto VE Ute
Hi Delegatedup,

You have summed up your problem. You are using an iPhone and the manual explained that it does not work fully with the IOS operating systems. I suspect that the developers have not bothered with an OS as it is in decline. As Android based phones like the HTC, Samsung and later Blackberry phones are based on Android they work generally well with the mylink. As I have discussed in other posts, the mylink is based on the QNX operating system which is what the latest Blackberry phones use which is a version of Android anyway. It would appear your only option is to upgrade your phone from the iPhone to an Android based phone or put up with the issues you are experiencing

Delegatedup

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais
That's an interesting idea. So if you plug an Android phone in to the USB port, and play music from the phone, do playback controls appear on the screen - ie Pause / Stop and Play?

RoganJosh

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VF Calais V -V6
That's an interesting idea. So if you plug an Android phone in to the USB port, and play music from the phone, do playback controls appear on the screen - ie Pause / Stop and Play?

yes you can and also from Steering wheel (scroll forward/back and volume only)

numeric

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 60th anniversary
with the vf can you pause the song by pushing the scroll wheel like in the ve