Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VF MyLink Questions

Sir Les

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V6 MY14
Surely we do.
I haven't sorted it out and it does my head in.
Want to listen to the radio while washing the car?????
Not with a VF you cant.

Yes you can. Like DanielSS-V said, hold the start button in for about 7-10 seconds (foot OFF the brake [auto] or clutch [manual]) until the whole dash lights up. The car is now in test mode and the electrical power for the radio, DVD, etc. will stay on for about an hour. Keeps the sunroof open too! :) Of course, the radio will cut out if you open the driver's door, so I suppose it could be somewhat challenging if you want to wash and dry the car as well. But wouldn't it be easier to listen to a portable radio outside the car?

Flukey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
But wouldn't it be easier to listen to a portable radio outside the car?

Haha!
The car has a radio but I cant use it????
Holden must figure that everyone who buys their cars are morons. That's the only explanation I have for it.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
It's probably just an American system ...

IAmJules

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline Wagon
errrm, don't you just hit the power button on the radio (inside the right knob). If I'm sat in the car and want to listen to the radio without starting the engine I just push the power button on the radio...am i missing something? Now if i want to wind the windows down I have to push the ignition button but not have my foot on the brake. It bings at me but I can then lower the window.

DanielSS-V

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V Redline
The radio cuts off after a time if you just use its power button. Around ten minutes if I recall correctly. Holding the ignition button for ten seconds or so gives you auxiliary power for an hour, including obviously the radio. That said if you are going to listen to the radio for a longer period, be mindful of turning the screen off to save some power. Between the amp and the screen you can drain a fair amount of power from the battery.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Our Redline's a wagon & doesn't have the Bose system ... by the sound quality, doubt there's an amp. :)

try_again

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Adventra CX6 and VF SS Storm Sportwagon
Our Redline's a wagon & doesn't have the Bose system ... by the sound quality, doubt there's an amp. :)

Does sound come out of the speakers..? Well then you have an amp! Even if it's not a 'premium' system it still puts a drain on the battery.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
I've worked it out ... the MyLink system's USB-stick media-player is bipolar.
We thought it was getting confused when we first got in the car because both sets of keys are stored fairly close to the car, so maybe it wasn't able to work-out which set was being used. But I don't think that's correct, because it won't let me open the tailgate unless I move one of those keys closer.
Plus I had occasion to do a bit of driving on Sunday, with a few stops along the way. It was definitely flopping between two "last played" memories. It was set to play all songs on shuffle, the song-names in the following may or may not have been changed to protect the innocent &/or my memory of the exact tracks involved:
(*) the first time I turned the car off it was in the middle of Alice Cooper's Trash, then when it started-up it was playing something totally different
(*) the next time I turned the car off it was playing Fleetwood Mac's Gypsy, when I started it up it started into Alice Cooper's Trash
(*) the next time I turned the car off it was playing Pink Floyd's Comfortably Numb, when I started it up it picked-up Fleetwood Mac's Gypsy
(*) the next time I turned the car off it was playing Guns 'n' Roses' Mr Brownstone, when I started it up it was in the middle of Pink Floyd's Comfortably Numb
... and so-on.
Each time I'd turn it on, it would go back to what it was playing when I'd turned it off two times ago.

If I wasn't afraid to go to a dealer I'd take it back & ask them if this could be fixed, but it's not annoying enough (but then nowhere near as annoying as "indexing" blocking you from making any changes for 5-10 minutes every time you turn the car on, so you have to fiddle with it while you're driving - I presume something to do with old hardware so they probably can't fix this with a software change).

try_again said:
Does sound come out of the speakers..? Well then you have an amp! Even if it's not a 'premium' system it still puts a drain on the battery.
By the sound of it, it's an internal amp in the head-unit, and it's quite a small one ... :)

Flukey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
Each time I'd turn it on, it would go back to what it was playing when I'd turned it off two times ago.

Yep. That's what I worked out mine does too.
Exactly the same